What do you anticipate from the upcoming presidential debates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
drivemytrabant said:

Are we talking about the same thing here? I'm talking about Strong Leader the war in iraq and terrorism as my post clearly states. Not the overall poll of registered voters.

Calm down, Righty, I missed your other posts. The significance of recent polls is not that they show John Kerry leading, but that they show him once again as a contender in the presidential race, and that they suggest he may even have the momentum necessary to win the presidential race. Of course, this assumption rests entirely on his performance in the upcoming presidential debates.

As far as I know, Mr. Gallup Jr. is still firmly in charge of his daddy’s organization. Though, I could be wrong.

http://www.moveon.org/content/pdfs/Final-Gallup-Ad.pdf

http://people-press.org/commentary/display.php3?AnalysisID=97

Historically, no incumbent has lost an election while the country was at war. However, no wartime president has had the marginal support President Bush receives as commander in chief.

Also, the discussion of the candidates’ performance in polls other than the national vote is irreverent. While Kerry may not be the favoured commander in chief, he is still in a virtual tie with the president for the national vote. Only the Electoral College matters outside the national vote, and here is Kerry’s only true obstacle from winning the White House. Fortunately for Kerry, enough time remains in the election and a significant amount of states are still “undecided” to make a substantial difference in his favour.

From you conviction that ABC is run by the GOP because of its spread in the presidential race, is FOXNews run by liberals for its spread?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,134494,00.html

Republican or Democrat, conservative or liberal, no one is suggesting that Bush still leads the presidential race!

Last edited:
dlihcraw said:

Calm down, Righty, I missed your other posts. The significance of recent polls is not that they show John Kerry leading, but that they show him once again as a contender in the presidential race, and that they suggest he may even have the momentum necessary to win the presidential race. Of course, this assumption rests entirely on his performance in the upcoming presidential debates.

As far as I know, Mr. Gallup Jr. is still firmly in charge of his daddy’s organization. Though, I could be wrong.

http://www.moveon.org/content/pdfs/Final-Gallup-Ad.pdf

http://people-press.org/commentary/display.php3?AnalysisID=97

Historically, no incumbent has lost an election while the country was at war. However, no wartime president has had the marginal support President Bush receives as commander in chief.

Also, the discussion of the candidates’ performance in polls other than the national vote is irreverent. While Kerry may not be the favoured commander in chief, he is still in a virtual tie with the president for the national vote. Only the Electoral College matters outside the national vote, and here is Kerry’s only true obstacle from winning the White House. Fortunately for Kerry, enough time remains in the election and a significant amount of states are still “undecided” to make a substantial difference in his favour.

From you conviction that ABC is run by the GOP because of its spread in the presidential race, is FOXNews run by liberals for its spread?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,134494,00.html

Republican or Democrat, conservative or liberal, no one is suggesting that Bush still leads the presidential race!

I don't remember calling anyone names like lefty or righty so lets try to keep this above the belt. If you can't argue facts and only revert to name calling you shouldn't bother. The polls do show that Kerry is back in the race--no one is denying that. My post was only stating about the 3 issues at hand: Iraq, terrorism, and Strong leader. If you can' t bother with reading the entire content of my post I suggest you forgo the uninformed responses that you have entered. And please forgive me for calling you on an error you made in ignorance of the discussion. I said nothing of Mr. Gallop Jr. and I'm not aware of the capacity in which he is involved in the Gallop poll. I only said that Mr. Gallop himself, to whom people are referring when they said "major GOP contributor" is no longer involved in the poll as we would be lead to believe. The ABC comment is using the logic of the left that the only way that Bush can be ahead after the debate is that in any poll in question must be run by a major GOP contributor and favors republicans in the polling data. Obviously this is untrue as demonstrated by my response. If the only obstacle that remains for Kerry is the electoral college, one would think that would be sufficient means to keep the man from the office.

STING2 said:

That was ONE poll where there were SLIGHTLY more Republicans than usual. The latest poll had a breakdown similar to the 2000 election as to the number of Independents, Republicans, and Democrats.

I would hardly call oversampling by more than 15% "SLIGHTLY"...or on every poll they've done "ONE". :rolleyes:

drivemytrabant said:
If you can't argue facts and only revert to name calling you shouldn't bother.

I began with a name, ended with a fact. I addressed the three areas you addressed. Traditionally, people of any state support their wartime leader. President Bush is the first American president to receive less than overwhelming support during a wartime election. I will reiterate what you said to me:
If you can' t bother with reading the entire content of my post I suggest you forgo the uninformed responses that you have entered.

And please forgive me for calling you on an error you made in ignorance of the discussion.

For someone so careful not to call unprovoked names, I admitted that I overlooked your earlier posts well before your reply. Criticism hidden behind sentiment is not well disguised. Precedence, whoa...

The ABC comment is using the logic of the left that the only way that Bush can be ahead after the debate is that in any poll in question must be run by a major GOP contributor and favors republicans in the polling data.

The FOXNews argument is using the similar logic of the right that the only way Kerry can be ahead after the debate is that in any poll in question must be run by a major liberal contributor and favours democrats in the polling data. (Please forgive me for the unintelligent nature of this comment, I copied yours.)

As for your Mr. Gallup comment, facts are contradictory. I’m pretty sure Mr. Gallup Jr. is also considered Mr. Gallup, and nothing has changed in Gallup Poll strategies. Sorry...

nbcrusader said:

Check the last Washington Post poll. GWB +5

Margin of error. Any logical person would assume the margin of error without being told. With the margin of error, a virtual tie!

dlihcraw said:

I began with a name, ended with a fact. I addressed the three areas you addressed. Traditionally, people of any state support their wartime leader. President Bush is the first American president to receive less than overwhelming support during a wartime election. I will reiterate what you said to me:

For someone so careful not to call unprovoked names, I admitted that I overlooked your earlier posts well before your reply. Criticism hidden behind sentiment is not well disguised. Precedence, whoa...

The FOXNews argument is using the similar logic of the right that the only way Kerry can be ahead after the debate is that in any poll in question must be run by a major liberal contributor and favours democrats in the polling data. (Please forgive me for the unintelligent nature of this comment, I copied yours.)

As for your Mr. Gallup comment, facts are contradictory. I’m pretty sure Mr. Gallup Jr. is also considered Mr. Gallup, and nothing has changed in Gallup Poll strategies. Sorry...
You did call me a name which I didn't do. I was simply pointing out your error. Criticism should be encouraged if you disagree--while name calling is a defense for the defenseless. Thank you for pointing out how ridiculous that the thought is that any poll where Bush is leading must be run by a GOP backer. You are right that it would be ludicrous to assume that either side is leading because of a bias in the polls. I have made this point several times so thank you for agreeing with me. I believe that you should get some info about Gallup from a source other than Moveon.org or similar liberal publication. I thought we agreed on the absurdity of that charge? Nothing like contradicting yourself and not even waiting for the next post to do it.

drivemytrabant said:

You are right that it would be ludicrous to assume that either side is leading because of a bias in the polls. I have made this point several times so thank you for agreeing with me. I believe that you should get some info about Gallup from a source other than Moveon.org or similar liberal publication.

Ok, so, a candidate's position in the national vote is not determined by left-leaning or right-leaning media outlets, but a report from a “liberal” website that questions the authenticity of the Gallup organization’s practises, a question that has been repeated by most other media sources, is unequivocally determined by the left? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this contradictive to our mutually agreed position on the polling system? Alliances to political parties or ideals do not obstruct the objective truth, no? I assume you’ll present a distinction. I’ll say, “Flip-flop.”

As for name calling, I admitted an overlook of previous comments from you on my part and apologized. Sometime later, you called me "ignorant" for what I had already acknowledged. Again, if you’re going to cry over unprovoked name calling, don’t participate in the practise yourself! I “enlightened” my ignorance, you contradicted your plea. Here’s a provoked name, “Flip-flop.”

dlihcraw said:

Ok, so, a candidate's position in the national vote is not determined by left-leaning or right-leaning media outlets, but a report from a “liberal” website that questions the authenticity of the Gallup organization’s practises, a question that has been repeated by most other media sources, is unequivocally determined by the left? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this contradictive to our mutually agreed position on the polling system? Alliances to political parties or ideals do not obstruct the objective truth, no? I assume you’ll present a distinction. I’ll say, “Flip-flop.”

As for name calling, I admitted an overlook of previous comments from you on my part and apologized. Sometime later, you called me "ignorant" for what I had already acknowledged. Again, if you’re going to cry over unprovoked name calling, don’t participate in the practise yourself! I “enlightened” my ignorance, you contradicted your plea. Here’s a provoked name, “Flip-flop.”

Obviously neither of us are gonna change the others mind here. But I refuse to debate a person who reverts to name-calling. I said you were ignorant of the discussion, not an ignorant person. I don't know you well enough to make that judgment. You have called me now Flip-Flop and Righty. I like having a good spirited debate with you--you seem well enough educated--but I won't do it while you revert to such tactics.

NEW RULES

Bush gets to bring Cheney on Friday

like he did when he went before 911 commission

Last edited:
Another point of view for the 2nd and 3rd W-Kerry debates.

Everybody was saying W has won every other debate.

Karl Rove and the W handlers are no fools, perhaps the slickest that ever existed.

Therefore, W throws first debate, does mediocre on second.

We are back to the lower expectations W has always operated with.

Third debate –
W. pulls out the big guns and gets Kerry with some top notch sound bite zingers.

W. does not need to be ahead by 10 points in mid October.

Elections are the first week in November.

capt.ohpm11110021832.bush_ohpm111.jpg

AP Poll: Kerry Holds Small Lead Over Bush...

U.S. Alerts Schools About Terror Threat...

How friggin' desperate are they?

They did before and they will do it again.

Take the lowest road
to the highest office.

deep said:
NEW RULES

Bush gets to bring Cheney on Friday

like he did when he went before 911 commission

You've been watching Bill Maher again. :wink:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom