What do y'all think of this... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-02-2005, 09:14 PM   #1
Blue Crack Addict
 
U2democrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: England by way of 'Murica.
Posts: 22,140
Local Time: 10:51 AM
What do y'all think of this...

One of my friends is a very pretty girl. Often when I'm hanging out with her and we're out running errands random men, old enough to be our fathers age, will make a comment about how beautiful she is. I usually find it amusing...but creepy. She usually finds it just creepy. This happens, almost every single time I'm with her and she often tells me about comments and leers she gets from older men. Is it appropriate for a man to make a passing comment such as "you look beautiful today" to an obviously younger girl, or should he just bite his tongue?
__________________

__________________
U2democrat is offline  
Old 08-02-2005, 09:20 PM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life
 
A_Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Wild West
Posts: 12,518
Local Time: 08:51 PM
It is not wrong to compliment but it depends on the situation.

The general rule of thumb is that if it feels out of place it is.
__________________

__________________
A_Wanderer is offline  
Old 08-02-2005, 09:21 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life
 
zoney!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: six metro locations
Posts: 11,293
Local Time: 04:51 AM
is it OK for a "younger girl" to oggle or make passing comments to/about older men (ala mellencamp in your avatar...or Bono and the boys in PLEBA)?
__________________
zoney! is offline  
Old 08-02-2005, 09:22 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict
 
U2democrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: England by way of 'Murica.
Posts: 22,140
Local Time: 10:51 AM


i knew someone was going to say something about that......
__________________
U2democrat is offline  
Old 08-02-2005, 09:24 PM   #5
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,685
Local Time: 04:51 AM
It really depends on the situtuation and tone that it's said...
__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 08-02-2005, 09:27 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict
 
U2democrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: England by way of 'Murica.
Posts: 22,140
Local Time: 10:51 AM
That's what I was thinking...half the time if i were her i'd take it as a compliment...the other half i'm glad i'm not in her position.
__________________
U2democrat is offline  
Old 08-02-2005, 09:32 PM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life
 
indra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 12,689
Local Time: 06:51 AM
Maybe she has a hot future as a trophy wife. :runsaway:
__________________
indra is offline  
Old 08-02-2005, 09:34 PM   #8
Acrobat
 
echo0001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: WV-USA
Posts: 349
Local Time: 05:51 AM
Yeah, I'd find it creepy.

But then, of course, the great grand vast majority of men have no class.

And for any man who takes offense at that--tough. Why don't you all start self-policing the totally tacky (and\or creepy) behavior of your half of the human race, rather than leaving it up to us to remind you how to behave yourselves like sensible people?
__________________
echo0001 is offline  
Old 08-02-2005, 09:40 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life
 
A_Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Wild West
Posts: 12,518
Local Time: 08:51 PM
Quote:
And for any man who takes offense at that--tough. Why don't you all start self-policing the totally tacky (and\or creepy) behavior of your half of the human race, rather than leaving it up to us to remind you how to behave yourselves like sensible people?
And how can we do that when we can't even duel a man for insulting a womans honour?
__________________
A_Wanderer is offline  
Old 08-02-2005, 09:41 PM   #10
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,685
Local Time: 04:51 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by echo0001


And for any man who takes offense at that--tough. Why don't you all start self-policing the totally tacky (and\or creepy) behavior of your half of the human race, rather than leaving it up to us to remind you how to behave yourselves like sensible people?


I agree with you in a sense...

But I have to say some women are just as bad. Let's look at the recent trend of women teachers, we just had a recent one who's slept with 4 of her all catholic boy school students...

When I was young girls my age never gave me a second look but many of my mother's "friends" made passes at me.
__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 08-02-2005, 09:51 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict
 
Liesje's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In the dog house
Posts: 19,557
Local Time: 05:51 AM
I'm usually not the slightest bit impressed with a guy of ANY age who feels he has to get my attention by making comments like that. A "hi, how are you?" will do and I don't even make eye contact with anyone that doesn't address me as my name or "miss".

As a pedestrian, I've become so used to random guys honking and yelling out of their cars that a few times my dad has driven by, seen me walking, honked to get my attention so he can give me a ride, and I completely ignore him. He got pissed the first time and then I explained that on any given day, I have trouble just walking from one school building to the next without honks and yelling....and I'm probably not half as pretty as youre friend
__________________
Liesje is offline  
Old 08-02-2005, 10:00 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict
 
Moonlit_Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Posts: 19,270
Local Time: 04:51 AM
*Has never gotten the honks and yells thing*

Anywho, I'm with LivLuv and BVS on this one.

Angela
__________________
Moonlit_Angel is offline  
Old 08-02-2005, 10:03 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,501
Local Time: 02:51 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic


As a pedestrian, I've become so used to random guys honking and yelling out of their cars that a few times my dad has driven by, seen me walking, honked to get my attention so he can give me a ride, and I completely ignore him. He got pissed the first time and then I explained that on any given day, I have trouble just walking from one school building to the next without honks and yelling....and I'm probably not half as pretty as youre friend

I never got the honking thing.


What are these guys expecting?
You will be at the market sometime
and walk up and say

"hey, aren't you the dude that honked at me the other day?
You are so bitchen, so original, please come home and do me."
__________________
deep is offline  
Old 08-02-2005, 10:08 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,501
Local Time: 02:51 AM
Re: What do y'all think of this...

Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat
One of my friends is a very pretty girl. Often when I'm hanging out with her and we're out running errands random men, old enough to be our fathers age, will make a comment about how beautiful she is.
I usually find it amusing...but creepy. She usually finds it just creepy. This happens, almost every single time I'm with her and she often tells me about comments and leers she gets from older men. Is it appropriate for a man to make a passing comment such as "you look beautiful today" to an obviously younger girl, or should he just bite his tongue?
1. it is a bit creepy

Is it appropriate for a man to make a passing comment such as "you look beautiful today"

2. this is too familiar
and why Today? Do they think she just got off the "Extreme makeover progam" yesterday?
__________________
deep is offline  
Old 08-02-2005, 10:25 PM   #15
Acrobat
 
echo0001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: WV-USA
Posts: 349
Local Time: 05:51 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
And how can we do that when we can't even duel a man for insulting a womans honour?

I mean, drop a word to your friend when he's being a creep\jerk--you don't (neccessarily) have to pop a cap in his ass. Unless you really really want to...
__________________

__________________
echo0001 is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com