what do american's think of canada? - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-01-2001, 05:18 PM   #46
The Fly

Local Time: 12:17 AM
I just want to take this opportunity to thank Canada for Bob and Doug McKenzie, the band Rush, Kids In The Hall, and for most of the inspiration for South Park.

The world would be a dark and depressing place without them!

Once again thank you! ........and for any Canadians that hold a grudge against us "United Staters" ....TAKE OFF, EH!

Old 12-03-2001, 11:32 PM   #47
War Child

Local Time: 01:17 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by bonoman:
See this is very funny to read when talking about the differences of americans and canadians when canada. from provence to provence is very different from eachother. Quebec is the outcasts of canada. Many, and i mean many people in canada resent them. Then you have Ontario. They preety much run this country since they have the majority of population. Then you have Sask and Manitoba. Usually forgotten and brushed off. Manitoba is usually put in the same pile as Ontario. Then you you have NWT, Yukon ans Nunaviat. Either working camps where you can make over 100,000 a year, or Natives that still live in the artic. Then you have ALberta. The richest provence in the country. A real blue colar place to live. Never get heard by the men and women in Ottawa. Resents eastern canada. B.C., well the weed capitol of the world. Best marijuana in the world. 6 billion a year tax free industry. Also never a high priority in Ottawa.

Oh did i forget the maritimes. Ya that because everyone else does. Working class. Not rich. forgetable. according to polititions.

That is a over view of canada. But remeber thats from a hatefull albertan!

We are just another US state and if any canadian cant see that then they obviuoslly arnt looking at all. Our country is run by American companies. Much of the money we spend in canada goes right back to americans.
Alberta and the North are oil and diamonds rich. There are no Canadian companies mining these rich resourses. Its the biggest joke in Canada. We get robbed of BILLIONS AND BILLIONS every year.

If the US ever went to war and really was in a tight squeze for oil it could easily have the oil companies of america sell oil to the american gov;t at a lower cost. Pure robbery.

No, you're not hateful. You're bitter.
I can't believe how embarassing it is to read this, as an Albertan.

Good grief!

Oh yeah! Many people in Canada DO NOT resent Quebeckers! Speak for yourself! It's people like you that fuel the western protest/alienation/separatist fire!

------------------
All my life, I never learned,
My bridges raise, My bridges burn.

SlipStream Soul

Old 12-05-2001, 04:23 AM   #48
Refugee

Ok i'll give u that. I am not the fonest of Quebec. So.

Read the rest buddy. If you can sit there and honestly say that our country isnt run by America your lting or your extremely undereducated in that field.

------------------
Running to Stand Still-"you gotta cry without weeping, talk without speaking, scream without raising your voice."

"we're not burning out we're burning up...we're the loudest folk band in the world!"-Bono
Old 12-05-2001, 08:11 AM   #49
Acrobat

Local Time: 08:17 AM
Funny how we don't have this problem with Mexico?

I wonder how many Mexicans get asked if they are Americans...if they got the chance to travel to Europe? ...or how many Mex-Americans would be asked if they were Mexican? How many of them would get offended I wonder?

Of course that wouldn't happen...Europeans don't associate brown skinned people who happen to be bi-lingual as American. We all look just like them (th Europeans)...or Canadians...

Seriously....I honestly think we have more exposure to the culture of Mexico than we do of Canada. Some people here celebrate Cinquo de Mayo for goodness sakes...what Canadian holiday even gets a note of recognition here? Is it because it is different and exotic...or that we have more trouble with their immigrants...as in the legalities part (not saying legitimate Mexican aliens give us any more trouble than Canadian ones...you know what I mean)

I notice some Canadian commericials running here lately...its mostly boosting tourism and reminding people here of how much we have in common and what a great place Canada is etc etc...we really should see more of those.
Old 12-05-2001, 07:29 PM   #50
War Child

Quote:
If you can sit there and honestly say that our country isnt run by America
Well, the last time I checked, we had a Prime Minister, a working democracy, a fully functional (albiet slow) Parliament, and our soverignty is intact. We're a country. True, our foreign policy is heavily influenced by the United States but we certainly as hell are not run by them! It's arrogant, if not ignorant, for you to assume that. Canadian foreign policy is one which has been concerned with trying to offset the economic & global power of the United States with the lack of our own vis a vis economic ties with other nations. While we rely heavily on the United States for trade, (they're our biggest trading partner) I beg to differ that our trade relationship with the US makes us their lackey.

Quote:
your extremely undereducated in that field.
I'm graduating with a degree in Political Science thank you very much.

------------------
Just go now?
You feel like love is gone?
Can you not holding out?
Can you not wait awhile?

SlipStream Soul

[This message has been edited by J-Tree (edited 12-05-2001).]
Old 12-05-2001, 08:35 PM   #51
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:17 AM
What's all this talk of Ottawa?

Actually, I have played this little game with a number of people over the last year or so. Ask any American: What is the capital city of Canada (you know, like Washington D.C.)?

There's a good chance they will stare at you, think about Toronto, and maybe Montreal, and then ask you for the answer.

In fact, I would bet money that someone out there will read this post and will not come up with the answer.

God Bless Canada!

Old 12-05-2001, 08:46 PM   #52
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:17 AM
Is it Atlanta?

I went to the U2 show there Friday night and they had a big Canadian flag hanging from the ceiling of Philips Arena, right next to the "United Statian" flag.

~U2Alabama
Old 12-08-2001, 02:16 AM   #53
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by J-Tree:

True, our foreign policy is heavily influenced by the United States but we certainly as hell are not run by them!

While we rely heavily on the United States for trade, (they're our biggest trading partner) I beg to differ that our trade relationship with the US makes us their lackey.

Rely heavily on them is an understatement. Come on without them what do we have. I do not know offical stats of how much of our trading is done with the US but i'd guess it would be a substantial amount.

I cant believe i am actually arguing with a Albertan about this. Albertans are the ones who she this first hand. We are a rich province because of oil. We should be a rich country because of it. My whole family(dad, two bros and uncle) was financialy supported by oil and it is Great money. But its not Canadian money its Americans. And where does all the profits go? Not into our pockets. Down south.

If we were to kick the Americans out of our oil we would have alot more to offer and our dollar wouldnt be so laughable.

And about the gov't. HA. PLease dont make me laugh. Someone should buy Jean a pair of knee pads.

------------------
Running to Stand Still-"you gotta cry without weeping, talk without speaking, scream without raising your voice."

"we're not burning out we're burning up...we're the loudest folk band in the world!"-Bono
Old 12-08-2001, 09:46 AM   #54
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:17 AM
bonoman approximately 90% of our foreign trade goes to the U.S. we are also their largest trade partner so it could be said, though not to the same degree, that they rely on us. it is this tremendous volume of trade that caused the border realignment earlier this week-the delays that were going on there were going to damage the economy, so the american's moved the armed guards in and everyone can drive through safely now.
american companies are everywhere in the world-so much so that they are not neccessarily american companies, many of them would now be called transnational or multinational corporations.
i don't know if you've ever visited ontario, based on experiences with other albertans and having lived in saskatchewan for a few years i would assume you dislike ontario, but there is a lot of money being made in the gta region for canadians. a lot of business in an industrial sector that is in the top 5 in north america.
our government differs from the americans in many ways. we are often much more cautious. there are several international agreements which we have signed against the american's will-kyoto, land mines, we were the first developed nation to fully back the drop the debt campaign.
have we hitched our wagon to the u.s. economy: i would say so, but they also rely heavily on us.
do they control us: read above.

------------------
bottom line: U2 rules.
Old 12-08-2001, 09:53 AM   #55
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by zonelistener:

Actually, I have played this little game with a number of people over the last year or so. Ask any American: What is the capital city of Canada (you know, like Washington D.C.)?

There's a good chance they will stare at you, think about Toronto, and maybe Montreal, and then ask you for the answer.

In fact, I would bet money that someone out there will read this post and will not come up with the answer.

God Bless Canada!

it's funny you should mention lack of knowledge. i recently got the chance to talk to the former washington correspondent for the canadian national daily, the globe & mail(he is now a professor in our school of journalism). he was telling me how he would call the white house and the staff there wouldn't know his paper, some didn't even know where toronto is or what is is. to get interviews he would often tell people he was from 'the globe', meaning the boston globe.

------------------
bottom line: U2 rules.
Old 12-09-2001, 02:02 AM   #56
War Child

Quote:
I cant believe i am actually arguing with a Albertan about this.
Believe it! LOL

kobayashi - you've said what I've been meaning to say!

------------------
Just go now?
You feel like love is gone?
Can you not holding out?
Can you not wait awhile?

SlipStream Soul

[This message has been edited by J-Tree (edited 12-08-2001).]
Old 12-09-2001, 03:03 AM   #57
Refugee

kobayshi, Thank you for clearing the amount of trade we do with the US up.

I do agree that US depends on Canada. As much as we do of them, i dont think so. But thats not to say we dont make money off them.

The real problem i have is oil. Our bread and butter being taken from us.

------------------

Old 12-11-2001, 01:44 AM   #58
Refugee

Local Time: 03:17 AM
I am American and I always knew the capital of Canada is Ottawa. :-) As far as my schooling goes, I recall doing only one unit on Canada in school - and that was in the 5th grade.

Quote:
Originally posted by zonelistener:

God Bless Canada!

Old 12-12-2001, 03:49 AM   #59
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by senrab:
one unit on Canada in school - and that was in the 5th grade.

Enough said?

I remember doing at least a few weeks to 2 months on USA every year....

------------------

Old 12-12-2001, 06:50 AM   #60
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Enough said?

I remember doing at least a few weeks to 2 months on USA every year....

so it seems, in my opinion, US ignorance is at least, in part, systemic.
how much time do you think american's spend on australia or the EU?

------------------
against smileys