What did you say to the last person you were pissed off at over politics? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2005, 07:21 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:17 PM
What did you say to the last person you were pissed off at over politics?

Well I just had it out with my father of taxes and the school system!

I unfortunatly work in the town he lives in.

He has no respect for the schools....and I told him he was being a cheap son of a bleep.

Old 04-05-2005, 07:38 PM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:17 AM
I called bigotry of low expectations when somebody insisted that Muslims should never and cannot live in democratic and secular societies.

Old 04-05-2005, 07:47 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:17 PM
I think I referred to whoever it was as an ignorant, hotheaded, crying lunatic. Okay, maybe I had a different choice of words, but I did a good job pissing them off...
Old 04-05-2005, 09:18 PM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:17 PM
Hmm...I generally keep my cool. I also generally refuse to talk about politics in real life (so for those of you who may meet me in the real world someday, you'll be pleasantly surprised how "nice" I am ).

Melon
Old 04-05-2005, 09:38 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 01:17 AM
i told him that i had doubts if his party was democratically legitimated. seriously! we´re having a little trouble with those right-wing half-nazi nuts who are part of our coalition. remember Haider? the guy who went to Saddam to discuss about future steel business? yeah thats him same old story. he headed the "freedom party", pocketed around 25% before they were in goverment. then, after the conservatives (who else) did a coalition with them, they plummeted down-- free fall to something like 9% (everyone was happy, if it wouldnt have been for the conservatives: they got most of the votes the freedom party lost, and decided to make another coalition with the freedom party! good idea, whoa, after the freedom party lost 15%, people are surely gonna appreciate this..)

now to make a long story short, 2 days ago the former leader of the freedom party, Haider, has formed a new party and will call it quits with the old one. the new party is called something like future platform for austria (yes, everyone laughs his ass off). now.. when they publicized that stuff on monday i called their representative.

imo, its not legitimate that our PM can continue the actual form of government. its a new party, and the people didn´t honor it with one single vote, so imo they´d have to wait for the next elections and then see what they score. however, our PM, this austro-fascist who manages our country like a junkie in charge of a piggy bank, thinks its all good, doesnt give a fuck about tomorrow, makes some cash by buying eurofighters and tries to continue this ridiculous gaffe, while the opposition is (unsuccessfully, because no majority in parliament) calling for new elections.

well i´m getting kinda carried away.. however i call that guy, and he tells me he´s the media rep., and asks if i call privately or if i´m a journalist. private i say. when asked about legitimation, he said "we don´t know yet.. the next 2, 3 days will show.. watch the news"

wooohooo. they don´t know if they´re gonna get through with this (2 days later it looks as if they might). sounds like democracy is working. thank you!

this country is so ridiculous. i wonder what our EU presidency will be like.
Old 04-06-2005, 04:58 AM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:17 AM
If you're wise, you don't discuss politics here outside our families/ close friends of your religion in Northern Ireland, so I'm never in this position.
Old 04-06-2005, 07:36 AM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:17 PM
I am very careful about where I discuss politics. I do at home because it's preaching to the choir, my whole family is liberal, but I don't at the library because they are all Bush supporters, and I happen to really like them as people and don't want to get pissed off because they didn't vote for the same guy I did in the last election. If it was the Klan or somebody like that I'd be pissed, but since it's not it's OK.
Old 04-06-2005, 08:32 AM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:17 PM
I deleted the post I had drafted and started over again until I had something constructive or challenging to say.

Otherwise, I wouldn't get pissed off over politics.
Old 04-06-2005, 08:44 AM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Unfortunately most people don't know enough about politics for me to even get into a discussion with them.
Old 04-06-2005, 04:24 PM   #10
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
I deleted the post I had drafted and started over again until I had something constructive or challenging to say.

Otherwise, I wouldn't get pissed off over politics.
Interesting, you seem to be the only one who assumed the question referred to both online and 'real life' interactions.

Personally, in 'real life' I generally shrink from conflict and therefore seldom say anything. Online, however, I feel more free to be contentious.

Sometimes I think this is a good thing, and a much needed 'escape valve;' other times, I suspect the anonymity of cyberspace is merely tempting me into self-indulgent and wasteful habits.
Old 04-06-2005, 04:29 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by whenhiphopdrovethebigcars

now to make a long story short, 2 days ago the former leader of the freedom party, Haider, has formed a new party and will call it quits with the old one. the new party is called something like future platform for austria (yes, everyone laughs his ass off). now.. when they publicized that stuff on monday i called their representative.

this country is so ridiculous. i wonder what our EU presidency will be like.
I recently visited Vienna. Beautiful city, beautiful country. But I must admit I was somewhat taken aback to see the very prominent electoral posters - I assume they were for a candidate for this new party - which (although my German is not up to much) translated into English read roughly (and in big capital letters) "We must not allow Vienna to become like Istanbul".

Not that Vienna should become like Istanbul. But the chances of Vienna becoming like Istanbul are tiny so the slogan being used appeared to me to be stirring up race hatred, or dangerously close to it anyway.
Old 04-06-2005, 04:33 PM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by melon
Hmm...I generally keep my cool. I also generally refuse to talk about politics in real life
I also rarely talk about politics in real life. Most of my friends are not really interested in talking about politics and would rather talk about sport, or to a lesser extent music. And to be honest they're probably right.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:40 AM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 01:17 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy

Not that Vienna should become like Istanbul. But the chances of Vienna becoming like Istanbul are tiny so the slogan being used appeared to me to be stirring up race hatred, or dangerously close to it anyway.
Yes, it is a shame. The one you saw was indeed made by the "freedom party". Thats exactly the strategy they used to win many votes in the 90s, when right-wing pol. parties were on the rise. Imagine that, with recent discussions of Turkey in the EU or not. This party was ridiculous enough to use another slogan a few years ago where the Istanbul slogan is derived from:

Vienna shall not become Chicago!

the sad thing is, to some people stuff like that makes sense. But come on, Chicago? ok, we all know people get shot on the street there, which doesn´t happen here regularly, but come on. Chicago is a city with skyscapers, and a great one; compared to that Vienna is a tiny crumpled town. Not Chicago? Not in our life. We neither have wide boulevards like Paris. Everything is a little narrow minded at times here. Chicago is more opened in a way.

Well, the Istanbul was another crap slogan, but yeah, our country is run by Christian conservatives like our estimated Chancellor Schüssel who had to go through a tunnel when he was inaugurated - because of the protests outside that were held opposed to his coalition with Haider and his folks.
Old 04-07-2005, 01:41 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:17 PM
I told them they didn't know what the fuck they were talking about. On that position, they could have accurately said the same thing to me. But I beat them to it!!!!!

I used to be more contentious than I am now. It was getting too personal with people I really care about. But I miss the adreneline rush.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:09 PM   #15
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
I called bigotry of low expectations when somebody insisted that Muslims should never and cannot live in democratic and secular societies.
Yeah, this is exactly the last political argument I had, with my father-in-law when he was visiting me prior to the Nov US election. He and my mother-in-law usually start these kind of topics, can't wait to see if they bring this up when I see them this summer.