What crisis will the neo-cons invent...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What new crisis will the neo-cons invent?

• Announce Iran already has nukes, declare plans to invade

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Ramp up terror alert status for vaguely defined reasons

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Announce that bin Laden has been hiding out in France, declare plans to invade it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No specific crisis will be invented, they'll just keep up the rhetoric against 'liberals', a la Herr

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • What the hell are you talking about?

Votes: 4 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

financeguy

ONE love, blood, life
...to distract attention from Abu Ghraib scandal Mk II and the ongoing bad news from Iraq?

By "neo-cons", I assume you meant the Bush administration, but it's worth noting that not all of them are neocons.

These days, it seems like Rove is driving the bus more often than not, but he is not a neocon. He's a political strategist, and a decidedly unideological one at that.

nbcrusader said:
You seems to keep the conspiracy theory factory alive.

Wow, I must be pretty omnipotent to singlehandedly 'keep the conspiracy theory factory alive'. :wink:

Terror alert system? That's as outdated as fiscal responsibility. Get with the times! :wink:

Melon

Dreadsox said:
At least in FYM.

I wasn't aware that questioning the motives of those in positions of power makes a person a 'conspiracy theorist'

It looks like there are an awful lot of 'conspiracy theorists' in the US at present, as per a recent poll more Americans now blame Bush for the Iraq war than Saddam.

financeguy said:

I wasn't aware that questioning the motives of those in positions of power makes a person a 'conspiracy theorist'

It looks like there are an awful lot of 'conspiracy theorists' in the US at present, as per a recent poll more Americans now blame Bush for the Iraq war than Saddam.

I'll bet you the people of Iraq, whom Saddam had oppressed for almost 30 years, wouldn't agree.

80sU2isBest said:
I'll bet you the people of Iraq, whom Saddam had oppressed for almost 30 years, wouldn't agree.

Really? Ok, I'm on. How much do you want to bet?

80sU2isBest said:

What poll are we going to use for this debate?

LOL

It would take a thread to determine that,...lol

financeguy said:

Really? Ok, I'm on. How much do you want to bet?

The people are facing a lot less terror now than they did under Saddam's reign of terror. They also have their own government now, and an actual say in the political process.

These people are happy Saddam's gone, and know that Saddam was an evil tyrant who needed to be brought down. And if we could take a poll of every citizen in Iraq, I would bet some money on my theory. Of course, that's impossible, for 2 reasons:

(1) There's no way we can take that poll
(2) I wouldn't be able to collect the money from you, cuz there's no way I'm giving my address on this forum.

Dreadsox said:
What poll are we going to use for this debate?

LOL

It would take a thread to determine that,...lol

True, true.

Actually I kind of disapprove of gambling and I suspect 80sU2isbest probably does as well.:wink:

80sU2isBest said:
The people are facing a lot less terror now than they did under Saddam's reign of terror. They also have their own government now, and an actual say in the political process.

These people are happy Saddam's gone, and know that Saddam was an evil tyrant who needed to be brought down. And if we could take a poll of every citizen in Iraq, I would bet some money on my theory. Of course, that's impossible, for 2 reasons:

(1) There's no way we can take that poll
(2) I wouldn't be able to collect the money from you, cuz there's no way I'm giving my address on this forum.

If we took a poll of every Iraqi citizen today, I honestly doubt if a majority would say they are happy Saddam is gone. In two year's time, hopefully they will.

But you're right, no point in betting money.

80sU2isBest said:

This is for everyone here:

Let's say the U.S. was like Iraq under Saddam, and China decided that it was going to liberate us (forget for a moment that China is communist).

1) Would you give up your family for this freedom? Because in this scenario, an errant bomb comes in and blows up the house that they were all staying in. China, thus, apologizes for the collateral damage and goes on its way.

2) Would you give up your limbs? Because in this scenario, you were the only survivor in that house that blew up, but it ripped off all of your arms and legs, leaving you with third-degree burns over your body. China feels bad, and flies you to their country for top of the line Chinese surgery.

3) China eventually deposes our "Saddam," while leaving our infrastructure in tatters. China declares victory, saying it has liberated the U.S., and to make up for the destruction, they're bringing in Chinese construction companies, while using what's left of the American treasury to pay for these rebuilding efforts, along with massive Chinese funds.

So, in short, America is now "liberated," but you've lost your entire family in the process and you'll be severely disfigured for the rest of your life.

What would you think?

Melon

melon said:

What would you think?

Same thing I've been thinking since I was 11.

Not worth my life or that of my loved ones. So I'm gonna be selfish here.

Dreadsox said:
[Q]The biggest change in perceptions has come among Democrats.[/Q]

Maybe Rove is onto something....:wink:

That was a joke,,,

Jokes are allowed. :wink:

Of course, all polls are questionable (Including those which said that a majority of Americans support the Iraq war).

melon said:
3) China eventually deposes our "Saddam," while leaving our infrastructure in tatters. China declares victory, saying it has liberated the U.S., and to make up for the destruction, they're bringing in Chinese construction companies, while using what's left of the American treasury to pay for these rebuilding efforts, along with massive Chinese funds.

Apparently it's 'conspiracy theory' mongering to bring in the subject of war profiteering. Someone should tell it to the chief auditor in charge of auditing the Iraq redevelopment expenditure:-

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050627/pl_nm/iraq_halliburton_dc_3

It seems that the "neo-cons" are somewhat of a deus ex machina for all the ills of the world just like the "zionists".

financeguy said:

True, true.

Actually I kind of disapprove of gambling and I suspect 80sU2isbest probably does as well.:wink:

I've been known to make a wager or two...

How about polls, they have been going on consistently for two years, it just hasn't been in the interest of some to bother reading them.
"63% of Iraqis say that the withdrawal of American and allied forces will not be in the best interest of Iraq, it will undermine the work towards security and control of the country. 27% say that it would be in the best interest of Iraq. 9% had no opinion.

"58% say that terrorists do the kidnappings and assassination of police and soldiers. 9% say that patriots fighting for Iraq carry them out. 32% say ignorant Iraqis who have been brain washed & misled carry them out.

"89% said that the terrorism, kidnapping, beheadings and assassination of police and security forces do not help the freeing of Iraq and the building of a stable country. 6% said that it would help free Iraq and build stability. 4% had no opinion."
link
"The poll of nearly 2,200 people across most of Iraq found a resilient citizenry modestly hopeful that the Jan. 30 elections will improve life. Iraqis said pocketbook issues such as unemployment and health care are more pressing than the bloody insurgency that claims Iraqi and U.S. lives virtually every day...

"The poll, conducted Nov. 24 to Dec. 5, found improvements over the last two months in Iraqis' feelings about the country's direction and, to a lesser degree, about the interim Iraqi government led by Prime Minister Iyad Allawi...

"Nearly 54 percent said Iraq is generally headed in the right direction - compared with 42 percent in late September and early October - while 32 percent said it's headed in the wrong direction...

"More than 71 percent of those polled said they 'strongly intend' to vote, and 67 percent said they believe Iraq will be ready to hold elections by the end of January, compared with 24 percent who said the country won't be ready."
link
"Do you support the pull out of foreign troops?

"At once - 12.56%

"According to a future timetable - 81.80%

"Do not know - 5.64%

"Has the security situation improved since the start of the new government?

"Yes - 55%

"No - 35%

"No change - 10%"
That was from Iraqi Arabic newspaper Almidhar with a sample size of 778 Baghdad citiziens.
"Do you support the severe measures the Iraqi Government is taking against terrorist acts in Iraq?

Yes - 93.56%
No - 6.44%

"How do you think Arabic satellite news companies are covering Iraqi news?

Neutral - 16.75%
Not Neutral - 7.25%
Negatively Biased - 76%

"What is your opinion of U.N. Resolution 1546

It achieves the ambitions of Iraqis for sovereignty - 73.12%
It satisfies ambition of certain Iraqi groups - 12.90%
It helps legitimise the American occupation - 13.98%"
This one was from the March 21 Iraquna paper taken from 970 Baghdad residents.

"Do you support the severe measures the Iraqi Government is taking against terrorist acts in Iraq?

Yes - 93.56%
No - 6.44%

"How do you think Arabic satellite news companies are covering Iraqi news?

Neutral - 16.75%
Not Neutral - 7.25%
Negatively Biased - 76%

"What is your opinion of U.N. Resolution 1546

It achieves the ambitions of Iraqis for sovereignty - 73.12%
It satisfies ambition of certain Iraqi groups - 12.90%
It helps legitimise the American occupation - 13.98%"
A poll of 2878 Iraqi's around Baghdad for the March 6th "Al-Sabah Al-Jadeed" paper.
"First poll conducted by the Iraqi ministry of planning shows 72.4% Iraqis will vote.

In a Poll of 33,313 Iraqis (in all of Iraq) of ages 18 and older conducted by the Iraqi ministry of planning regarding Iraqis participation in the Iraqi elections taking place the end of this month. The results were as follows.

72.4 % of all of those polled said they would participate in the elections.

97% of Iraqis in Kurdistan said they would participate in the elections.

96% of Iraqis in the southern provinces (mainly Sheeit [Shia] areas) said they would participate in the elections.

33% of Iraqis in the central provinces (Sunni Area) said they would participate in the elections.

10% of Iraqis in central provinces (Sunni Area) said they have not yet made their mind if they were going to vote or not.

62.1% of those polled said that the elections will be neutral and free.

17.8% said elections will not be neutral and free.

11.6% did not answer this question.

66% said that the elections must take place under current circumstances.

53.3% said the security is good in their area.

21.7% said that security was average in their area.

25% said that security was bad in their area."
A pre-election poll when violence was peaking taken on January 26th.
"Do you believe that democracy will help solve Iraq’s Political, Security and Financial problems?

Yes - 82.1%
No - 15.3%
Don’t know - 2.6%

"Would you consent to a Kurdish President?

Yes - 69.8%
No - 27.3%
Don’t know - 2.9%

"Do you believe that the Kurds will secede from Iraq over the next 10 years?

Yes - 35.4%
No - 53.9%
Maybe 9.1%
Don’t know - 1.6%"
Taken from "Al Sabah" in Baghdad
"The survey of 1,967 Iraqis was conducted Feb. 27-March 5, after Iraq held its first free elections in half a century in January. According to the poll, 62% say the country is headed in the right direction and 23% say it is headed in the wrong direction. That is the widest spread recorded in seven polls by the group, says Stuart Krusell, [International Republican Institute] director of operations for Iraq. In September, 45% of Iraqis thought the country was headed in the wrong direction and 42% thought it was headed in the right direction. The IRI is a non-partisan, U.S. taxpayer-funded group that promotes democracy abroad.

"Pollsters did not survey three of Iraq's 18 provinces because of security and logistical concerns. Two of those omitted, Anbar and Ninevah, are predominantly Sunni Muslim. A third, Dahuk, is mostly Kurdish. Krusell said that even if those areas had been included and 100% had expressed negative views, the poll would still have shown that most Iraqis believe that the situation in their country is improving...

"The poll showed that Iraqis are almost evenly split over the role of religion in government, with 48% favoring a 'special role' for religion, but 44% saying religion and government should remain separate. A plurality of 47% say religious leaders should have the greatest input in writing the constitution.

"Krusell said that is not surprising since Iraq is predominantly Muslim but that 'it doesn't translate into support for Sharia,' or strict Islamic law. Of those polled, 22% say the constitution should ensure 'the Muslim identity of Iraq' but only 4% say Sharia should be the most important element."
via Yahoo News.
"Are you in favor of implementing Islamic Sharia and an Islamic government?
Yes - 12.5%
No - 83.9%
Don’t Know - 3.6%

"Do you support what Al-Sadr followers did in Basrah?
Yes - 6.6%
No - 90.4%
Don’t know - 3%"
March 21 Iraquna with 970 Baghdad residents.

Please check out some Iraqi bloggers they can give insight into life in Iraq for better or worse, like riverbend or the blokes over at iraqthemodel.blogspot.com

I voted for option 4. They hardly need to invent crises, there are plenty of those in the world. The situation in Iran *is* scary. And I doubt they'd wanna remind anyone about that Osama guy, half the reason we went into Iraq was because they couldn't get the guy that actually attacked us.

No, I think general rhetoric on how liberals are "destroying the instituion of marriage" and like to kill living things will do for now. :up:

Back
Top Bottom