What comes after death? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2005, 04:44 PM   #16
War Child

Local Time: 11:41 AM
The universe is a great recycler. After death, yeah, we "live" on...we (our atoms) become trillions of other things. Some of them may even become part of living things.

Old 08-03-2005, 04:58 PM   #17
Refugee

Local Time: 05:41 AM

wasn't purgatory made up by the catholic church? I don't think it's actually mention in the bible, correct me if I'm wrong please...

Old 08-03-2005, 05:29 PM   #18
War Child

Maybe we get the thing that we believe to be true.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:33 AM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:41 AM
I tend to believe in heaven and hell. I believe in life we're all connected to something bigger, so I don't understand how we wouldn't be after we die.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:59 AM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

I like to think there is a God....but we are recycled as different beings depending on how we acted in this life. I think it goes along with deja vu....I think when you get that feeling its somethign from a past life.

Funny cause Mr. Dis gets a cold shiver everytime we pass through a busy intersection....maybe in a past life he died at one

I totally believe the same for animals. I actually have begun to think that dogs are angels comming to check on us...thats why they don't live so long. I have always wondered that.... I know...I'm insane
Old 08-04-2005, 09:04 AM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Dismantled
Funny cause Mr. Dis gets a cold shiver everytime we pass through a busy intersection....maybe in a past life he died at one
I have a completely irrational fear of gas masks (stop laughing, now!) -- whenever I see news footage of soldiers wearing them I just feel really nervous and uncomfortable. Anyway, my mum has a theory that in a past life I lived in a war zone and that's why I'm freaked out by them.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:08 AM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by FizzingWhizzbees

I have a completely irrational fear of gas masks (stop laughing, now!) -- whenever I see news footage of soldiers wearing them I just feel really nervous and uncomfortable. Anyway, my mum has a theory that in a past life I lived in a war zone and that's why I'm freaked out by them.
yes that is what I am talking about I think that is true. Or maybe you were a solider that died in war or in a concentration camp or something.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:16 AM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:41 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Mofo
wasn't purgatory made up by the catholic church? I don't think it's actually mention in the bible, correct me if I'm wrong please...
It's actually borrowed from Zoroastrianism, although the official line is that it came from a line in the apocryphal "Maccabees" Biblical book that's in the Catholic canon. However, it's a text from the Sadduccees, and the best they ever believed in was "Sheol," so that's not even logical that they would have invented "Purgatory."

Melon
Old 08-04-2005, 09:20 AM   #24
Refugee

Local Time: 05:41 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon

It's actually borrowed from Zoroastrianism, although the official line is that it came from a line in the apocryphal "Maccabees" Biblical book that's in the Catholic canon. However, it's a text from the Sadduccees, and the best they ever believed in was "Sheol," so that's not even logical that they would have invented "Purgatory."

Melon
care to explain a bit more? what do you mean it's not even logical?

by the way I find your replies regarding religious topics quite interesting you're quite informed
Old 08-04-2005, 09:52 AM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Mofo
care to explain a bit more? what do you mean it's not even logical?
It's often assumed that "Judaism" is all uniform and unchanging through history, but it's quite a different story.

Following Cyrus the Great's decision to allow Jews to return to their homeland around 550 B.C., Judaism was effectively divided in two, due to Cyrus' habit of "subverting" religions to ensure loyalty, rather than forced conversion to Zoroastrianism, the dominant religion of the empire.

The divisions became more pronounced after Alexander the Great's conquest of the Persian Empire, when the two main factions of Judaism organized into the Sadducees and the Pharisees. The Sadducees are thought to have been the majority of Jews at the time, and it is believed they reflected original, pre-Zoroastrian influenced Judaism. On the other end was the Pharisees (their name is thought to be derived from "Parsi" or "Persian"), who were a powerful minority that were the result of Cyrus' purposeful infusion of Zoroastrian beliefs into Judaism. From Zoroastrianism, it is thought that Judaism took on their beliefs on everything from angels to, most importantly, the idea of the Messiah. Even the idea of "God" was completely transformed from the Semitic tribal god, Yahweh, to the qualities of main god, Ahura Mazda. The names weren't changed obviously, but that's why, in the Old Testament, we go from a rather angry warrior "God" to a loving "God" by the end.

The Sadducees, on the other hand, resisted what they thought was a bastardization of their religion, and were most militant about their outrage over being conquered by these foreign empires. They did not believe in heaven, hell, purgatory, angels, or even the idea of a Messiah. Their concept of the afterlife was almost exactly like the Greek concept of Hades, where you kind of wandered aimlessly neither happy nor sad and all your knowledge was forever lost, since that was part of your body and not your soul. That line in Maccabees loosely interpreted as being "purgatory" by Catholicism is very likely a reference to Sheol.

Things came to a head in A.D. 70 and the Sadducees openly revolted in Jerusalem. However, the Romans were way too powerful. They burned Jerusalem, destroyed the temple, and killed an estimated 500,000 to 1,000,000 Jews, while enslaving the remainder throughout the empire, in keeping with Roman conquest tradition. The Sadducees were officially annihilated, while the Pharisees survived.

Mainstream "Judaism" today is now completely based on the Pharisees' theology. The Christian Old Testament canon, likewise, is based on the Pharisees' canon. Elements of the Talmud and Kabbalah, meanwhile, claim to have many elements of original Jewish theology.

Quote:
by the way I find your replies regarding religious topics quite interesting you're quite informed
Thanks. I find religion to be quite interesting from a scholarly POV.

Melon
Old 08-04-2005, 12:43 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

There are too many acts, appearances and phenomena that cannot seem to be explained (regardless of what scientologists and Tom Cruise say). Therefore, there must be an afterlife.

And, plus, I still think that the mere belief in it prevents people from doing even worse things than what some do today.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:00 PM   #27
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by U2@NYC
There are too many acts, appearances and phenomena that cannot seem to be explained (regardless of what scientologists and Tom Cruise say). Therefore, there must be an afterlife.
How do you make that connection?

I could understand if unexplained acts reinforced your belief in the supernatural, but how does unexplained phenomena = some kind of life after death? I don't see how you make that connection there.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:18 PM   #28
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 03:41 AM
I sadly feel that there is nothing after death. Your brain is dead, your body is dead so how can you go on to another life and think, breathe, eat..? It would be totally different, because your original brain is dead. You would no longer be you, or have any of your thoughts or feelings. It's just black, empty ... gone. How would you ever know if you were re-incarnated? I do like to believe there is a heaven and I'd love to be there, rather than a black empty hole.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:27 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I would like to believe in the soul changing body thing, but if that were true, then you as a person today could actually be a soul from the past.

Does anybody believe they are a soul from the past?

I would like to come back as a yellow laborador retriever puppy, or maybe a scientist.
Old 08-04-2005, 02:38 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:41 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon

It's actually borrowed from Zoroastrianism,
We can see similarities between many religious beliefs. But to box Judeo-Christian belief as a subset of Zoroastrianism is not a widely held belief.