What Color Is He?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
Oh Imus, there you go again. There you go, now we know.

politico.com
June 23, 2008

A new Imus controversy?

On “Imus in the Morning” Monday, the controversial radio host Don Imus — who was fired last year for making racist and sexist remarks about the Rutgers University women’s basketball team — made a racially freighted comment about another African-American athlete.

During the show, conversation turned to a story about how suspended Dallas Cowboys cornerback Adam “Pacman” Jones now wants to drop his well-known nickname. In the course of the segment, Imus is told that Jones has “been arrested six times since being drafted by Tennessee in 2005.”

Imus asks: “What color is he?”

“He’s African-American,” the host is informed by one of his on-air sidekicks.

“Well, there you go,” Imus said. “Now we know.”

Imus returned to the airwaves last year under the auspices of Citadel Broadcasting Corp, with national distribution by ABC Radio Networks. A video simulcast is also broadcast on RFD-TV. One of the many questions that remain unanswered about the legendary shock jock’s return to the fray is whether he can regain the influence he once enjoyed in the political world.

No comment was immediately available from Imus or his employers.

This is what some people commented. If that's true well maybe that's the reason he said it, I dunno..Who knows with that guy, I don 't.

"Anyone who heard this live heard that IMUS was feigning sympathy for Jones and sarcastically making the point that he probably had been arrested 6 times "because he's black." It was sarcasm."

"don't think Imus made a racist comment here I think he just made a realistic statement. If you are black and especially poor you will probably get arrested and charged with a crime and alot times you may not have committed the crime, but, you fit the description, black. I don't know if you all have noticed but most of the men getting out of jail for crimes that they did not commit and the DNA test are proving it are black. That tells you alot right there. There are alot of people in jail who should be there and never allowed back into society and it doesn't matter what color are. But it is not a coincidence nor a mistake that all of these men are getting out of jail because the DNA test proves that they didn't do it and they are all from poor black neighborhoods."

pacman1.gif

Pacman is yellow :shrug:

Pacman gets arrested six times

Scooter Libby gets a pardon

*breaks out my James Brown record - "Living in America"

What did he get arrested 6 times for? I know who he is and that he has had some crime-related issues. I don't think Scooter got a pardon only because he's white. Maybe Bush will pardon Pacman.

, Imus is told that Jones has “been arrested six times since being drafted by Tennessee in 2005.”

all I know is what I read in your post :shrug:

and Scooter was not "pardoned" (yet) he just got his sentence (jail time) commuted

Here's what I found via Google. If that's what Imus meant, well was he really arrested for all that because he's black? What about in HS and college? I can't believe I'm arguing with Imus's alleged newfound racial sensitivity..

Here is a rap sheet look at all of Pacman’s brushes with the law since joining the NFL’s Tennessee Titans:

July 13, 2005- Arrested and charged with assault and felony vandalism after a nightclub altercation. This began Pacman Jones NFL rap sheet. He already had a lengthy one from high school and college.

September 5, 2005- Adam was invited to attend the Nashville Sports Council Kickoff Luncheon. Jones went off on a verbal tirade while being told to wait for his car after the event. He then refused to tip the valet service.

October 2005- State of West Virginia filed a petition stating that Jones had not been contacting his probation officer and that he had not reported his July 2005 arrest. The judge extended the probation for just 90 days.

March 23, 2006- Charged with marijuana possession in Fayetteville, Georgia. He went on to claim that he knew how to beat the NFL’s drug test.

August 25, 2006- Arrested for disorderly conduct and public intoxication after being ordered by the cops to leave a Murfreesboro night club several times. Jones claimed a woman stole his wallet. The woman claimed that Jones spat on her. The judge in the case gave Pacman six months probation and told him to stay away from the club.

October 26, 2006- Jones was issued a citation for misdemeanor assault after a female student from Tennessee State University claimed that Jones spit in her face at a Nashville night club.

Feburary 19, 2007- The facts are disputed and no charges have been made yet, but Jones was in the middle of a fight and shooting at a strip club in Las Vegas that left one man paralyzed and two more wounded. The fight broke out after Jones showered strippers on stage with $81,000 dollars. The club owner claims Jones was beating a strippers head against the bar while claiming to kill one of the club’s employees.

January 3, 2008- Pacman is accused of punching Wanda S. Jackson in the face at an Atlanta strip club called the Body Tap Strip Club. Jackson says Jones reached over the counter and sucker punched her in her left eye.

This guy sounds like trouble.

Sounds like he should get 20 years.

But, if you get drunk and shoot an Attorney in the face and the police come to investigate.

Well, just tell them to leave and come back the next day when you have had a night to sleep it off and get everybody's story straight.

imus is honestly at the point where if he says anything that anyone can even remotely tie to racism he's screwed. parody? nope. a sarcastic remark that is actually him defending the person? nope.

he's essentially been neutered... and the first time anyone even believes he slipped up he'll be killed. it's a shame.

i think we'll see more and more of this, not just from imus, but from everyone. it's the PC state we live in. if you're on the air long enough, and with every internet blogger in america watching/listening to every word you say just waiting for you to slip up, eventually everyone will slip up. heck, two of the biggest critics of imus during the rutgers scandal, al roker and jemele hill (of espn) have both slipped up themselves since then... roker with jokes about people who have epileptic seizures, hill dropped this doozy

Rooting for the Celtics is like saying Hitler was a victim.

jerry manuel, new manager of the mets, made an inside joke with one of his players about how he'd "cut him" if he ever tried to show him up on the field. obviously he did not mean it that way. the next day the nypost and drudge had headlines saying "new mets manager threatens to stab player."

welcome to the world in which we live today... where every word you say will be scrutinized and picked apart in every which way, no matter what you actually meant to say.

OK now the Jerry Manuel thing is just stupid. I mean ffs when a coach/manager says "I'll cut you" who thinks cut = stab? WTF is wrong with people?

I was pretty critical of Imus with the Rutgers thing, but this? I don't even know what it is. Only having seen the particular quotes, with no context, my thought was that he was poking a bit of fun at people who paint Pacman Jones as a victim and a guy who gets arrested a lot because he's black, when in reality he appears to be a d-bag of the first order who apparently has an issue with women. You'd hope people would get the joke, but on top of the other thing what do you expect?

Oh and I'm still in mourning over the Jemele Hill thing. I used to like her but I mean come on.

You know you've made it when Pacman is praying for you..

The AP's Cristian Salazar reports that Don Imus addressed Monday's controversial comments on Dallas Cowboys cornerback Adam "Pacman" Jones on his radio show Tuesday morning:

Don Imus said Tuesday morning on his radio show that he was trying to "make a sarcastic point" with his latest on-air remarks about race, but that they had been misunderstood.

Imus resurrected his radio career six months ago with a pledge to mend the wounds caused by a racist and sexist comment he made about a women's basketball team.

On Tuesday he said he was following the spirit of that promise by calling attention to the unfair treatment of blacks _ in this case the arrests of suspended Dallas Cowboys cornerback Adam Jones.

"What people should be outraged about is that they arrest blacks for no reason," Imus said Tuesday. "I mean, there's no reason to arrest this kid six times. Maybe he did something once, but everyone does something once."

He called the flurry of criticism surrounding the comments "ridiculous" and said that his program's cast is now more diverse than ever _ and includes a black producer and two black co-hosts, a man and a woman.

"How insane would I have to be? What would I be thinking?" Imus wondered aloud.

On his radio show Monday morning, Imus asked "What color is he?" after being told about Jones, who was suspended from the NFL in 2007 and has been arrested six times (listen here).

Jones, in an interview with the Dally Morning News, said he was "upset" by Imus' comments and that he would pray for the controversial radio host:

Jones was unaware of the comments until a reporter played him a tape Monday night.

"I'm truly upset about the comments," Jones said. "Obviously Mr. Imus has problems with African-Americans. I'm upset, and I hope the station he works for handles it accordingly. I will pray for him."

Late Monday, a station representative said it was unlikely Imus would face any disciplinary action for the comments:

WABC and Citadel Broadcasting Corp. Vice President Phil Boyce said Imus would explain his comments on his Tuesday morning show and said it was unlikely the broadcasters would take disciplinary action.

Boyce said Imus had explained himself in a private conversation Monday afternoon and the explanation was satisfactory.

"I think some people may be misunderstanding what he meant," Boyce said.

Back
Top Bottom