What can YOU do about this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coemgen

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Can you imagine life without safe drinking water?

If it at all bothers you that 1 BILLION people don't have safe drinking water, visit www.bloodwatermission.org and click on 1,000 Wells or visit 1000wells.com for information on how you can change the world. There's also a five-minute Quicktime video on ways you can make a difference and bring safe drinking water to other parts of the world. This is at http://1000wells.com/media/new_qt_mov/aboutbloodwater_edit2.mov

This is from CNN.com

1 billion people lack safe drinking water

GENEVA, Switzerland (AP) -- The lack of any major outbreak of disease in areas hit by the December 26 tsunami is largely due to the rapid deployment of clean water and sanitation teams, the international Red Cross said Tuesday.

In a statement marking World Water Day, the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies said the response provided a dramatic demonstration of the need for clean water.

But the resource is also essential for longer-term chronic shortages in the developing world, the federation and other international organizations said.

The United Nations says more than 1.1 billion people around the world lack safe water and 2.4 billion have no access to sanitation, leading to more than 3 million deaths every year.

"People who can turn on a tap and have safe and clean water to drink, to cook with and to bathe in often take it for granted, and yet more than 1 billion of our fellow human beings have little choice but to use potentially harmful sources of water," said Dr. Lee Jong-Wook, head of the World Health Organization.

The Red Cross federation said it had deployed seven emergency response units in Indonesia and Sri Lanka, providing clean water to nearly 500,000 people.

It was its largest deployment of water and sanitation teams since it set up the emergency response system of its national societies 10 years ago, the federation said.

"After a major catastrophe, populations are particularly vulnerable to waterborne diseases, and our ability to produce large quantities of safe water and provide adequate sanitation quickly has been crucial in ensuring that these communities were not subjected to a second disaster," said Markku Niskala, secretary-general of the federation.

This year's World Water Day marks the launching of the "Water for Life" decade, during which the United Nations and governments are seeking to halve the number of people without access to safe drinking water and basic sanitation by 2015.

Ministers and government representatives are scheduled to meet next month at the Commission for Sustainable Development's 13th session in New York to take policy decisions on practical measures to ensure access to water for people worldwide.

"We need to increase water efficiency, especially in agriculture. We need to free women and girls from the daily chore of hauling water, often over great distances," U.N. General Secretary Kofi Annan said.

The plan also aims to safeguard water for the future of the Earth's ecosystems, crucial for protecting and preserving biodiversity in freshwater lakes and rivers, mountain landscapes, wetlands, estuaries, coastal zones and oceans.

To water day...

water_day05.gif

The United Nations says more than 1.1 billion people around the world lack safe water and 2.4 billion have no access to sanitation - leading to over 3 million deaths every year. Almost one fifth of all children - lack even the bare minimum of safe water they need to live.

:grumpy:

I agree babyman. It's sick to think other people — 1 billion — don't have clean water. That's so basic! It pisses me off actually and I think it should piss off everyone. It's a human rights issue in my mind.

It is an issue of survival, when people lack basic sanitation other problems flow on from it, a great deal of good in fighting AIDS rests in improving sanitation around the world and clean water is a key element of it. We have the technology and we have the ability but do we have the will.

I see this problem here in Africa all the time. Raw sewage, dirty rivers, unsafe wells. The mortality rate of children under 5 is SO high and often a direct cause of dehydration linked to diahrea, brought on by unclean water.

I applaud the UN and the international community on focusing in on this issue. It is critical.

It's just unforgivable, and we take it for granted that we can just turn on a faucet when so many people can't.

As everyone knows, you can also donate to the African Well Fund - their birthday fundraiser for Bono is starting up

African Well Fund Launches 3rd Annual Bono Birthday Fundraiser!

The African Well Fund announces plans for its 3rd annual "Build a Well for Bono's Birthday" fundraising campaign. The African Well Fund is a registered 501(c)3 non-profit organization formed by U2 fans to raise money to build wells in Africa.

(PRWEB) March 23, 2005 -- The African Well Fund launches its 3rd Annual “Build a Well For Bono’s Birthday,” on March 27. From March 27 to May 1, the African Well Fund will be collecting donations in honor of Bono’s May 10th birthday.

The African Well Fund was formed when fans of U2 responded to the political activism of U2’s front man Bono, focusing specifically on the issue of clean water access within the African continent. Setting Bono’s May 10th birthday as the focal point for fundraising, the African Well Fund’s previous two birthday fundraisers have raised more than $25,000 to build wells in Africa. The AWF will be campaigning throughout the month of April. Fans are invited to visit www.africanwellfund.org for complete instructions on how to donate. After donating, fans are invited to leave an online birthday message for Bono. The messages will be collected and delivered to him, along with a “Well Share” for the amount raised.

This year’s campaign is an especially exciting one, as it coincides with the first leg of U2’s Vertigo tour. African Well Fund volunteers will be out in force at all spring Vertigo tour dates distributing information about the fundraiser. The African Well Fund is actively seeking participation from tour city radio stations and collaboration with pre-concert events to highlight this issue.

All donations from the campaign go directly to Africare’s water project programs. Africare is one of the leading private, non -profit charitable U.S. organizations assisting Africa. For more information please visit www.africare.org. The African Well Fund was founded to focus on one achievable goal: providing access to clean water for everyone in Africa. The African Well Fund believes that access to clean water is not merely a basic human need but a basic human right.

The African Well Fund is a registered 501(c)3 non-profit organization that was founded in 2002. Since that time, the African Well Fund has raised over $70,000 to fund water projects. For more information about these projects, please visit www.africanwellfund.org and click on Our Wells.

-------------------------------------------------------

I will not comment much here to allow one of the Board members of the AWF to directly talk about the specifics of the 3rd annual "Build a Well for Bono's Birthday" this April.

I have been a follower and a volunteer of the AWF since its inception and can tell you that this endeavor is TRULY A LABOR OF LOVE for everyone who is involved in it.

Every water well that is built in an African community will bring YEARS OF HOPE AND JOY to the people who live in the community.

Clean drinking water is ESSENTIAL to a good quality of life - please do what you can to support this most worthy endeavor of the AWF.

The fact that we're building water wells to honor Bono for his birthday is additional incentive to participate!

Take very good care, my friends. Blessings always.

ONE, debbie

http://www.africanwellfund.org

:bono: :heart: :heart: :hug:

It's just unforgivable, and we take it for granted that we can just turn on a faucet when so many people can't.

I know people in America who have no indoor plumbing. :| :(

At least in America there is the gas station restroom and bottled jugs of water from the grocery store. Still, it's a disgrace that there is so much poverty in a country of such wealth.

I personally knew a family in my neighborhood, with kids who went to school with mine, who lived without plumbing for several years. The plumbing system of their home split apart inside the walls and they couldn't afford to get it fixed. They had to wash their hair at resturants and gas stations and occasionally use truck stops for showers. They could never tell anyone they knew or ask for help in fear of having their children taken away. I never found out until the lady finally admitted it once they left town. Very sad :sad:

There are also people living around here in the swamp country who still use outdoor toilets. In the desert southwest, many Native Americans live in ranshackled trailers and shacks with only a community windmill as a water source, and they have to haul it home in buckets. But at some times of the year, it dries up and they have nothing for weeks. In parts of rural Appalachia, people who depend on underground springs do without water much of July and August when the creeks dry up. Some people out there still use pumps on their sinks and have no bathrooms. I bet y'all didn't know how many Americans also have this problem. Of course it's very sad regardless of the country, but it's especially shameful here in this 'rich' country.

Last edited:
Thanks for the post Jamila. All of us who've posted in this thread should support the AWF in honor of Bono. Let's also make it a point to promote this among other U2 fans around here. Think of the difference we'll make in people's lives! :wink:

Thanks, coemgen, for all your support for the AWF.

Here is a link to view some of the DOZENS of water wells built or being built in Uganda and Ethiopia from the money raised by the AWF over the last two years:

http://www.africanwellfund.org/ourwells.html

Giving the gift of Life which is clean water revitalizes communities and gives Hope to families for a better Future - so why WOULDN'T you want to support the AWF?

Plus, you get to sign the online b-day card for Bono!

A win-win situation for everyone. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom