What can YOU do about this? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2005, 07:21 AM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:28 PM
Quote:
It's just unforgivable, and we take it for granted that we can just turn on a faucet when so many people can't.
I know people in America who have no indoor plumbing.

At least in America there is the gas station restroom and bottled jugs of water from the grocery store. Still, it's a disgrace that there is so much poverty in a country of such wealth.

I personally knew a family in my neighborhood, with kids who went to school with mine, who lived without plumbing for several years. The plumbing system of their home split apart inside the walls and they couldn't afford to get it fixed. They had to wash their hair at resturants and gas stations and occasionally use truck stops for showers. They could never tell anyone they knew or ask for help in fear of having their children taken away. I never found out until the lady finally admitted it once they left town. Very sad

There are also people living around here in the swamp country who still use outdoor toilets. In the desert southwest, many Native Americans live in ranshackled trailers and shacks with only a community windmill as a water source, and they have to haul it home in buckets. But at some times of the year, it dries up and they have nothing for weeks. In parts of rural Appalachia, people who depend on underground springs do without water much of July and August when the creeks dry up. Some people out there still use pumps on their sinks and have no bathrooms. I bet y'all didn't know how many Americans also have this problem. Of course it's very sad regardless of the country, but it's especially shameful here in this 'rich' country.

Old 03-24-2005, 09:26 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Thanks for the post Jamila. All of us who've posted in this thread should support the AWF in honor of Bono. Let's also make it a point to promote this among other U2 fans around here. Think of the difference we'll make in people's lives!

Old 03-24-2005, 01:47 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Ok people, let's get behind this. Let's make this year's birthday present to Bono the largest amount ever raised for the African Well Fund. The main site is here:
www.africanwellfund.org/Bono-Well-2005.html

An update on the 2004 donations is here:
www.africanwellfund.org/2004-well-sites.html

One well can benefit up to 900 people!!!

Plus, we can all sign a birthday card for Bono!!
Old 03-24-2005, 07:22 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:28 PM
Thanks, coemgen, for all your support for the AWF.

Here is a link to view some of the DOZENS of water wells built or being built in Uganda and Ethiopia from the money raised by the AWF over the last two years:

http://www.africanwellfund.org/ourwells.html

Giving the gift of Life which is clean water revitalizes communities and gives Hope to families for a better Future - so why WOULDN'T you want to support the AWF?

Plus, you get to sign the online b-day card for Bono!

A win-win situation for everyone.
Old 03-26-2005, 09:24 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:28 PM
this thread deserves a bump