What Bono doesn't say about Africa - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2007, 12:46 AM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 04:45 PM
I didn't say the whole article is true, bt I liked that line.

Old 07-09-2007, 06:05 AM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:45 PM
I am really getting sick of all the Bono bashing in the media today, especially with articles that are poorly researched and misleading. While there may be some interesting arguments in that article and certainly some points to consider, I still think that it is too one-sided. When it comes to Africa, I really trust Bono, he is incredibly well informed and knowledgable. That doesn't mean I agree with everything he is doing. My main critisism of articles like that is that they aren't really based on good research, but are instead focused on attacking Bono as a person, because he is a celebrity. If they had really read the articles in the latest Vanity Fair issue they'd know that there is a lot of positive stuff in there, because people wanted to focus more on the positive side of Africa, on the progress, developments, beauty. If people like Bono only stress the problems (which he has never done, he has always spoken of Africa as a challenge, an adventure, something positive, not a burden), then they are critisized for painting a picture of the continent that is only dark and hopeless. If they focus on positive things, they are bashed for "ignoring" the problems. As far as I know Bono has always said that TRADE is more important than aid and that Africa needs to be independend from aid one day. He has never underestimated the problem of corruption. He has never failed to focus on the huge possibilities that lie within Africa and the dignity, pride and beauty of its people. While there certainly has to be a critical position and everyone is free to have an opinion, articles like this are simply ignorant.

Old 07-09-2007, 11:14 AM   #18
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:45 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Ormus

Undoubtedly, as is typical of one extreme argument versus another, the answer to Africa lies somewhere in-between Bono and William Easterly. One thing that I'd say would be worthwhile, though, would be for people to learn more about each individual African nation, rather than viewing "Africa" as one homogeneous, terminally impoverished, disease-infested famine stereotype.

I agree. I think articles like this and others I've seen always attack Bono(I guess he's become the single hand of Africa relief) because he speaks of saving them so much. But the truth is he's talked about entrepeneurs, fair trade, he's addressed the corruprtion within, etc.

This article makes it sound like they are going to be able to pick themselves up the bootstraps and march on without help. Well even if some areas could economically grow on their own they would have the means to aid the millions sick at the same time.

But I think conservatives like to read articles such as this one.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:19 AM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 06:45 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Ormus
And what about Africa needing increased trade from the West instead of "handouts"? I'd agree with that too.
And what about Africa needing increased trade TO the West,

is what you wanted to say?

Africa needs to a) export its rich resources for a fair price, not to b) import dubious technology from the west.

The difference? a) make money b) pay or accumulate debt

I would like to see action against Firestone in Liberia, against the companies that have robbed Africa´s resources, and against the countries that robbed Africa´s resources and continue to do so.

On another note, I could care less about Bono being bashed.

What is this number of 100 mil marketing re: DATA? Anyone has research on this? Is that accurate or just a misinformed journalist? I´m sure with 100 mil you can get a lot of HIVmeds to people who need them, or build a lot of wells.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:50 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

The 100 million figure was brought up in relation to Product (Red).
(Red) is a business model, not a charity, thus it needs advertising and promotion like any other business.

It's based on profit-orientated business to make it sustainable, even when the attention is moving away from Africa and to other causes that people are willing to donate money on.

Bobby Shriver has since denied the numbers raised in the report mentioned. Fact is that there was more money was raised by Product (Red) for the Global Fund so far (since it was launched in 2006) than some countries have given to Africa in aid in a whole year.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:23 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by last unicorn
(Red) is a business model, not a charity, thus it needs advertising and promotion like any other business.
of course, but it needs 100 mil?

that´s a lot for a campaign.

i know companies who do spend that amount of money for their marketing campaigns, but 100 mil of mktg for red raises a lot of questions if the results aren´t adequate.

why not 10 mil and do something better with the rest?

reminds me of 4/4 colour 40 page reports of environmental projects.

i would like to see exact figures, if no one can provide them, the ad campaign is highly questionable. who´s feeding who here?
Old 07-09-2007, 03:26 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Re: What Bono doesn't say about Africa

Quote:
Originally posted by MaxFisher
But the fact remains that the West shows a lot more interest in begging bowls than in, say, letting African cotton growers compete fairly in Western markets (see the recent collapse of world trade talks).
very true.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:28 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

It's probably somewhere between $60-100 million. This is not extra money. The companies that are making Red, such as Motorola, Gap, Sprinter, Apple and so on, have agreed to take some of the money already planned for advertising, and put it into the marketing campaign for Red.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:24 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Sounds a little better. Thanks for update.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:16 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Here is the reply by Bobby Shriver, CEO of (RED), to that nasty totally untrue article about Bono and his organizations for Africa that appeared in the 6 July 2007 edition of the LA Times:

Bright spots in Africa overlooked
July 10, 2007

Re "What Bono doesn't say about Africa," Opinion, July 6

What Vanity Fair did William Easterly read? He ignores the positive stories contained in the Africa issue and perpetuates a falsehood about (Product) RED. Easterly suggests that Vanity Fair portrays a "scary picture of a helpless, backward continent." He must not have read about Kenya's economic growth or Chinese investment in Africa or the Touareg music festival in Mali.

(RED)'s partners have raised more than $25 million for the Global Fund, with more than $19 million already at work in Rwanda and Swaziland. He ignored this too. That is five times the amount the Global Fund raised from private business in the previous four years and more than many governments (e.g., China, Australia) contributed in 2006.

The $100-million marketing number Easterly cites is wrong. The amount spent by our partners Gap, Motorola, Converse, Apple and Armani on marketing their (RED) products is less than half that.

Finally, the Vanity Fair article, "The Lazarus Effect," shows hundreds of thousands of Africans getting their medicine thanks in part to (RED). They are on the rebound. Even for an academic, these are hard stories to ignore.

BOBBY SHRIVER

Chairman, chief executive

(Product) RED

Los Angeles

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion...ack=1&cset=true

BRAVO, BOBBY!!

Old 07-12-2007, 01:18 AM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I'm not sure what I believe honestly. I wouldn't be at all suprised if Bono was wrong or right.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:18 AM   #27
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by shart1780
I wouldn't be at all suprised if Bono was wrong or right.
Then why post anything? He's obviously spent years researching, and I know this for a fact for I know someone who's prayed on the mountainside with him and has been to several meetings with him.

What is your point of saying this?
Old 07-12-2007, 04:14 AM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Because I felt like expressing my view of it. Is that a problem? So you know someone who did something with Bono one time. Bono isn't a demi-god or anything. I don't trust him, or anyone else, solely because they spent years studying.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:28 AM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamila
Here is the reply by Bobby Shriver, CEO of (RED), to that nasty totally untrue article about Bono and his organizations for Africa that appeared in the 6 July 2007 edition of the LA Times:

Bright spots in Africa overlooked
July 10, 2007

Re "What Bono doesn't say about Africa," Opinion, July 6

What Vanity Fair did William Easterly read? He ignores the positive stories contained in the Africa issue and perpetuates a falsehood about (Product) RED. Easterly suggests that Vanity Fair portrays a "scary picture of a helpless, backward continent." He must not have read about Kenya's economic growth or Chinese investment in Africa or the Touareg music festival in Mali.

(RED)'s partners have raised more than $25 million for the Global Fund, with more than $19 million already at work in Rwanda and Swaziland. He ignored this too. That is five times the amount the Global Fund raised from private business in the previous four years and more than many governments (e.g., China, Australia) contributed in 2006.

The $100-million marketing number Easterly cites is wrong. The amount spent by our partners Gap, Motorola, Converse, Apple and Armani on marketing their (RED) products is less than half that.

Finally, the Vanity Fair article, "The Lazarus Effect," shows hundreds of thousands of Africans getting their medicine thanks in part to (RED). They are on the rebound. Even for an academic, these are hard stories to ignore.

BOBBY SHRIVER

Chairman, chief executive

(Product) RED

Los Angeles

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion...ack=1&cset=true

BRAVO, BOBBY!!

Thank you Jamila! Good for Bobby to react that quickly to the LA Times article.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:02 AM   #30
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by shart1780
I don't trust him, or anyone else, solely because they spent years studying.
Then who exactly would you use as a source on the subject?

Tags
africa, bono, bono africa