What are your hopes/fears for the future of the world?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

misterboo

Acrobat
This was an interesting discussion i had with some friends last night. What are your hopes/fears/expectations for the world (or just your country) in 5/10/20 years time? What do you think the world will be like? Put simply, better or worse? For example, do you expect/ fear the gap between rich and poor widening? What will world politics look like in 20 years time: the dominance of a new left or the old right? Do you fear the rise of a genetic underclass due to advances in human cloning? Will there be another American civil war etc etc? I just want to know how you feel about where your country or this planet is heading.

------------------
Mock the silence while you can.

Originally posted by misterboo:
What are your hopes/fears/expectations for the world (or just your country) in 5/10/20 years time? What do you think the world will be like? Put simply, better or worse? For example, do you expect/ fear the gap between rich and poor widening? What will world politics look like in 20 years time: the dominance of a new left or the old right? Do you fear the rise of a genetic underclass due to advances in human cloning? Will there be another American civil war etc etc? I just want to know how you feel about where your country or this planet is heading.
I feel that within 20 years, there will be no United States to speak of, at least not as we know it today. That's my opinion.

Originally posted by BLOCK:
my dream is that there will be no United States to start a war with china
So your WISH is that an entire nation won't be here anymore? Do you hope we'l all be dead or something?

[This message has been edited by 80sU2isBest (edited 08-15-2001).]

Hmmm... I look back to those cheesy 1950's sci-fi movies where they were sure we'd be living in Mars by 1980 ( yet still have control panels from the 1950s!!haha).
I think progress; the world; moves at a much slower pace than people expect. Some of you may remember the excitement over the Moon landings. We were "on our way"!
I think progress is controled by need (ironically, wars motivate progress) and the making of money.
Anyway, I have NO idea what the future will bring. I know there's a lot of religious "The End Is Near" talk out there.
"Revelation" scripture is coming to pass.
(I personally subscribe to the belief that Revelation was written in code and symbolism so that the Romans would see it as nonsense, yet John's followers would gain hope from it. I dont believe it is prophesy.)

BUT, lets talk about TODAY... Lets talk about NOW. What do we do with today and now, in our lives, towards others in our lives??
Let's speak of hope.

I think AIDS will be the main problem for the future (if it already isn't).

*At the end of 2000 there were an estimated 36.1 million HIV-infected persons worldwide. This is 50% more than predicted in 1991

*5.3 million people have been infected with HIV in the year 2000 this is an increase of 17%

* If this rate doesn't change (till today it only gets higher) 173.5 million people will be infected in 2011, 834.1 million people in 2021 and 4 BILLIONpeople by the time we reach 2031

Also:

*1 out of 9 persons in sub-saharan Africa has HIV

*1 out of 5 South-Africans has HIV

*1 out of 3 Botswanians has HIV

------------------
Vorsprung durch Technik

Back
Top Bottom