What Are They Teaching Their Children??? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-06-2004, 03:58 PM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:17 AM
What Are They Teaching Their Children???

Poll: over 40% of Canadian teens think America is "evil"

Quote:
The Liberal government came into power in 1993 gushing anti-Americanism. Former Prime Minister Jean Chrétien’s communications director, Francoise Ducros, made headlines when she referred to President Bush as a moron. Liberal MP Carolyn Parrish was picked up on a boom microphone saying, "Damn Americans — I hate those bastards". Not only did Parrish not apologize for her remarks, but she later appeared on a television show hosted by alleged comedian Mike Bullard and laughed about the incident. Parrish played to the anti-Americanism of the youthful studio audience by saying that she couldn’t guarantee that she wouldn’t do it again.
So, this isn't just a GWB thing, it has been brewing for years.

Old 07-06-2004, 04:01 PM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:17 AM
Oh come on...and don't tell me that the U.S. doesn't make nasty comments about Canada? After all, if it weren't so pervasive, then "South Park" wouldn't have a running joke about it. And I'd consider it a compliment that America is mentioned in Canadian schools; we don't even acknowledge Canada's existence in ours.

I'm not trying to justify it, but don't think that America has a good attitude towards Canada in contrast. We definitely aren't better. I also think that once Bush and the GOP are gone, then they will like America again. The GOP, in contrast to Canadian politics, are probably considered extremist right.

Melon

Old 07-06-2004, 04:04 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

GWB personifies all the boorish American behaviors that fuel anti-amercanism.

There were much better international relations with the previous administration.
Old 07-06-2004, 04:14 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:17 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by deep
There were much better international relations with the previous administration.
this is true. clinton and chretien got along famously, as did mulroney and reagan and many before.

each of the incidents listed in your quote nbc happened in the last 2 years-not just since bush came to office, but since the war hawks turned their gaze upon iraq.

i dont know if its so much a canada:u.s. relationship thing as it is a world:u.s. wars thing.

edit to add, many of the media outlets and firms cited in that article are known for their consistent and relentless attacks on the liberal government's management of its american relations, which also happens to be a central element of the conservative party of canada.

consider this from the same site, an unbalanced consideration of elementary school textbooks which is seemingly unaware that grade school texts (if not the evening news), especially from the 30s, are just as much propagandistic as they are educational.

Quote:
America’s children are portrayed as being brought up in "filthy tenements, driven out upon the streets to play in `gangs’," according to a 1934 textbook that was prevalent in Canadian classrooms of the day.
Old 07-06-2004, 04:24 PM   #5
BAW
The Flower

Quote:
Originally posted by melon
Oh come on...and don't tell me that the U.S. doesn't make nasty comments about Canada? After all, if it weren't so pervasive, then "South Park" wouldn't have a running joke about it. And I'd consider it a compliment that America is mentioned in Canadian schools; we don't even acknowledge Canada's existence in ours.

I'm not trying to justify it, but don't think that America has a good attitude towards Canada in contrast. We definitely aren't better. I also think that once Bush and the GOP are gone, then they will like America again. The GOP, in contrast to Canadian politics, are probably considered extremist right.

Melon

Conduct the same poll in the US you will get "40% of American teens think Canada is wimpy"
Old 07-06-2004, 04:27 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Is saying "Damn Americans, I hate those bastards" the same as hating Bush and his administration for his policies? That assumes, it seems to me, that all Americans support everything he does and should be condemned in the same way that he is.

I have nothing against Canadians or people from any other country-I judge people as individuals

Maybe some Canadians should get beyond their stereotypes, as should some Americans.
Old 07-06-2004, 04:36 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
Is saying "Damn Americans, I hate those bastards" the same as hating Bush and his administration for his policies? That assumes, it seems to me, that all Americans support everything he does and should be condemned in the same way that he is.
again, some greater context may be needed to fully appreciate the comments. parrish made her comment while turning away from a throng of reporters and answering their questions on iraq and the u.s. i don't think she literally meant she hates americans.

anti-americanism is not rampant in canada. these are 2 incidents where individuals spoke inappropriately and were picked up.

the article and conclusions drawn from the poll are more ridiculous than the issue itself.

canada presently has no plans to attack-just now.
Old 07-06-2004, 04:38 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:17 AM
I don't think it's right for *anyone* to make blanket statements about any nationality, Americans, Canadians, French, Italians, or whoever.
Old 07-06-2004, 04:48 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
I don't think it's right for *anyone* to make blanket statements about any nationality, Americans, Canadians, French, Italians, or whoever.
And I happen to know that there are WMD's in the basement of the childhood home in Canada of Michael J Fox

Old 07-06-2004, 04:54 PM   #10
Acrobat

I'm an American studying in Montreal, and I don't think anti-Americanism is widespread. Whenever anti-American incidents have taken place here, they've been small things like vandalism of cars with US plates by random punks. It's always widely reported in the media (English-speaking, at least; I'm not so good at French) and the response is always shock and outrage.

The other thing is that for good relations to happen, things have to go both ways. Bush's first visit outside the US was not to Canada, which had been traditional. Ambassador Celluci has made some controversial statements of his own which have offended Canadians. And whenever I go home to RI, at least 2-3 people ask me how things are in "Canadia" and tell me how they'd never go to Quebec because "They don't want us there; they don't speak English!" I think any anti- feelings toward any culture are bad and agree with what people are saying about blanket statements, but I also think both sides of the relationship could use some work.
Old 07-06-2004, 04:59 PM   #11
Refugee

Location: calm down, cold resides with me. I flee to decemberunderground... as you exhale I breathe in, and sink into the water underground and I'll grow pale without you
The effect is rather sobering however, when one goes abroad and is being hassled for being American; how quickly the attitudes of the provocateurs change if you tell them you're Canadian. No I have not done it, but it's been spoken of quite often... the Canadians I am friends with don't appreciate it much....
Old 07-06-2004, 06:28 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

I was in London a couple of years ago, and my friend and I (both from Toronto) were talking to a couple of tour guides. They initially assumed we were American and when we told them we were Canadian, their response was "Thank God" followed by "Americans are really loud and ask everything three times and keep telling us they don't understand us."

On a tour, I went to Oxford. There was an American family, two older people in their 60s and their son, from Virginia, I believe. The tour guide told us that both Bill Clinton and Tony Blair attended this college, and the older lady then proceeded to ask who Tony Blair is. You could literally hear the eyes rolling.

And no, I would not travel without my Canadian flag on the backpack. Try it sometime and you'll see a world of difference in the way you are treated overseas.
Old 07-06-2004, 06:53 PM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
And no, I would not travel without my Canadian flag on the backpack. Try it sometime and you'll see a world of difference in the way you are treated overseas.
that's really sad.

i don't see myself pretending to be canadian anytime soon just so someone with annoying, preconceived notions will be polite to me. i'm perfectly content being american, although i usually don't slap flags on my bags.
Old 07-06-2004, 07:29 PM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Screaming Flower
although i usually don't slap flags on my bags.
i just reread my reply. i didn't mean this last line to be as snobby as it sounds. i have no problem with people putting flags on their bags.
Old 07-06-2004, 07:57 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by Screaming Flower
i don't see myself pretending to be canadian anytime soon
bag flags or not, you should be canadian.