What Are They Teaching Their Children??? - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2004, 09:07 AM   #46
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:20 AM
wait angie. aren't you a kiwi?

Old 07-12-2004, 09:23 AM   #47
Jesus Online

Local Time: 03:20 AM
pffft you.

Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
Pfft, so if these guys call you Canadian it is ok, but Zoolanda and I do it, and we're Kiwis?
Screamer

Old 07-12-2004, 06:32 PM   #48
ONE
love, blood, life

Old 07-12-2004, 07:07 PM   #49
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveC

Whoa whoa whoa!!

When did I EVER say any of those were ignorant statements?? I said here's some of what I hear...as you can tell, it's both extremes on there.

I resent that assumption about me. What you don't know is that I stand up for Americans. My mom loves to slag you guys, and I'm always the one telling her she's wrong.

Thanks for not reading anything else of my message though!
First of all, I didn't want you to think that I just made an angry post and left, never to be seen again. I was out of town for the day yesterday.

I did read all of your message, thank you very much. This was the entire text of what you posted:

"I work (in Canada) taking calls for Hallmark from the States. People frequently ask where I'm from...I get all kinds of responses when I say we're in Nova Scotia, for example:

"Nova Scotia?!? You're in EUROPE???"

"Nova Scotia! Wow, we went there on our vacation, it's beautiful up there!"

"Nova Scotia...don't y'all have snow up there this time of year?"

"Nova Scotia, hmm...? well...alright..."

"Nova Scotia. That's weird."

"Nova Scotia?? Where is that?"

"Nova Scotia...? It must be cold up there...30 degrees maybe?"

"Nova Scotia? That's awesome! I've never spoken to a Nova Scotianer."

"Nova Scotia? That's in Canada, right...? Y'all just had an election didn't you?"

"Nova Scotia, hmm? I see."

"Nova Scotia!??!? I'M NOT DEALING WITH ANY GOD DAMNED CANADIAN!! *click*"

"Nova Scotia...? You guys are Canadian right? Yes? Why are you stealing American jobs?"

"

Of course it rubbed me the wrong way, because you only posted idiotic quotes from Americans. If you had said in the same post what you said later on, "My mother slags Americans and I don't agree with it" my reaction would have been different, of course. But I was just going by exactly what you typed in that post.

I guess it comes across the wrong way over the internet because you're not talking to someone face to face, you're just writing down your thoughts and you can't look someone in the eye. I don't know how to put it, it just seems less harsh when you're debating an issue in person with someone. Sorry.
Old 07-12-2004, 08:22 PM   #50
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Mrs. Edge
Kathleen, honestly, HOW can you say that about me after all these years???

Like I said, blanket statements are bad. I do NOT think you are all a bunch of idiots, I was explaining why Canadians have a problem with the US. There are lots of idiots everywhere, Canada included, believe me.
I said it because your post frosted me. You said first that Americans are great and warm and friendly:
Quote:
First of all, there is LOTS that I LOVE about the US. I always have a wonderful time when I'm there and most of my best friends are American. Even my boyfriend is American!!! I think Americans are warm and friendly and enthusiastic, and the country is beautiful, with every climate imaginable.
but then you say in the same breath that it's all about total ignorance:
Quote:
I think the thing that bugs Canadians more than ANYTHING in the world about the US is 1) the total ignorance - and lack of interest about Canada (or any other country for that matter) shown by the majority of the populace, and 2) the bombardment we get every day that Americans think that the USA is #1 (which is natural of course) and screw everyone else (which is the annoying part). Americans are not as a group known for their humility. Since we are swamped with American media and "rah rah USA" day and night, we feel the least the US could do is realise we exist. You know...get to know your neighbour?
I got the feeling that you *were* making a blanket statement. Again, like I told DaveC, you meant it a different way but it didn't come across to me that way. I think we are interested in learning about other countries and we don't believe that everyone else should be screwed, but you see it a different way, so ok.

I'm sorry you feel swamped with American media and "God Bless America" 24/7, perhaps you could write the CRTC suggesting changes, make more exclusively Canadian channels, similar in content to the CBC which has almost exclusively Canadian productions (except for some Simpsons reruns)? Write to the Toronto Star, Globe and Mail, start a grass-roots organization to encourage even more Canadian content in your media? Maybe the newsroom editors would use more discretion and not go into USA overload? If I grew up in Canada I would get sick of hearing about another country all the time and not enough about my own. Maybe that would give you an even greater feeling of identity and pride as a Canadian, (not that you aren't proud now, that's not what I'm saying) to hear more often about your homeland, and it is a grand, noble and free one at that. Yes, I don't agree with some of the Canadian government's policies, I don't think my president is a moron, and I hate Michael Moore's guts. But it would be so boring if we all agreed on everything.

You are a smart lady, so maybe you have already gone this route and contacted CRTC. I remember reading an interview with Lorne Michaels, the creator of Sat. Night Live, and he said that when he was growing up in Toronto, I believe (forgive me if I have the wrong city) there were no Canadian TV stations, just NBC, ABC, and CBS. So you have come a very long way.

If you would like to continue this discussion, do not hesitate to PM me, if you're still upset.
Old 07-12-2004, 08:56 PM   #51
Blue Crack Addict

I've read this above argument many times. It seems to be based on the notion that we don't have enough Canadian identity whether through TV/radio/etc media.

It is not that we do not. We have multiple Canadian news stations and other stations here. For one, we don't only have the CBC, we have multiple other cable and non-cable stations. Second, when you get to things like music TV, we've got several Canadian ones which, IMO, kick MTV's ass from here to eternity. Canadian content is NOT the problem, and IMO, it's not what Mrs. Edge was referring to.

It's more something that Americans cannot understand, being American, and that is that from a foreign point of view, nobody in the world farts without the US okaying it. Therefore, it's not our media that is the problem, but the fact that American media and pop culture has become so pervasive in the world (for better and worse) that one can simply not avoid it! You say, write to the CRTC, but it is not the CBC that is the problem. America is the world's only superpower, it has greater resources than the rest of us, it has greater reach, and therefore people outside of the US know who Paula Zahn is, for God's sake. I can't explain this to you, because there is nothing equivalent in the world for you to understand this. Other nations, like Canada, France, England, Cameroon, Japan, Thailand, Argentina, (insert name of country here) simply are not in the position to a) push their views on anyone or b) have their views heard or c) have their politics and foreign affairs be as impactful on the rest of the world. So here we are, 6 billion of us and 300 million of you. All of us possums and one lion in the jungle, and this is the reality we live in, and of course you cannot understand that as the big boss just as we cannot understand you. In many ways, this is the economic colonialism people speak of, it's the Roman Empire transcended to the 21st century. Kingdoms rise and kingdoms fall, and so will this one one day, and things will probably swing in another direction, but for now, it is how things stand, and so you have two very distinct views about your position in the world.
Old 07-12-2004, 10:09 PM   #52
Refugee

Well, I tried.
Old 07-12-2004, 10:48 PM   #53
Bono's Belly Dancing Friend

Local Time: 12:20 PM
anitram. That was very well put!

Quote:
I said it because your post frosted me. You said first that Americans are great and warm and friendly:
Quote:
but then you say in the same breath that it's all about total ignorance
1) Am I not allowed to have conflicting views on the subject? Not everything is black and white! I suppose it's a love hate relationship. I said what I loved about the US (and there is a lot) on purpose so people wouldn't think I had a one sided view. I guess that backfired.

I guess you just can't know what it's like to be in the shadow of (or the object of ridicule or worse yet not worthy of being contemplated at all) by the US because you live there. I don't blame you at all.

2) I said "MOST of the populace" don't know about/don't want to know about other countries if you look closely. I was very careful not to say "all" because I know that's not true. If it's not the case, I would be the first to be delighted with this. Again, I go by what we are constantly exposed to.

Now I just want to say for the record that other than my oldest friend who is an American who I grew up with, the people in interference are my main exposure to the American people and their attitudes on things (other than the media of course).

Since joining this Board, I now have almost as many, maybe even more American friends than I do Canadian! This Board has improved my view on Americans 100% I kid you not. I think both countries need an exchange program or something, it would do both sides a world of good.

The vast majority of the people on here are indeed inquisitive (which is why I feel that I can express what worries Canadians freely here), warm and intelligent. Whenever I get depressed and despair for the US because of people like George Bush (sorry, I LOATHE him and he is RUINING your country's reputation. It is such a shame, you guys deserve so much better), I am reminded that all is not as bad as it seems.

Anyway, what I think isn't even the topic of the thread! The topic/question was why many (not all but many) Canadians have a problem with the US, and I was explaining why I think that to be so.

Unfortunately the people who give the US a bad name are the ones who get the most media exposure....and as anitram says, there is simply no getting away from American media exposure. Increasing Canadian content, though great, would a) not reduce the American exposure and b) would probably cost a lot of money and Canadians are unfortunately notorious for not supporting their own. And although I'd love to get away from some of the American media, like I said before, I love too many of the TV shows and movies!

Anyway...hopefully I have made myself even more clear now and if not well...
Old 07-12-2004, 10:55 PM   #54
Refugee

Fair enough.
Old 07-12-2004, 10:58 PM   #55
Refugee

One more thing - how many Americans would know what the CRTC is? Huh? Huuuuuh?
Old 07-12-2004, 11:19 PM   #56
Bono's Belly Dancing Friend

Local Time: 12:20 PM
LOL! That is very impressive indeed! You, like Arun are kind of like an American/Canadian hybrid anyway.

BTW, while I'm back I should mention that even if Canadians do have issues with the US, it's not like we're sitting here steaming about it and plotting our revenge. (well, sometimes maybe )We do genuinely want a great friendship between the countries.

I also think Tim Hortons needs to be more prevelant in the US and Bob Evans and/or Panera Bread has to move over here.
Old 07-12-2004, 11:33 PM   #57
BAW
The Flower

Local Time: 08:20 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Mrs. Edge

BTW, while I'm back I should mention that even if Canadians do have issues with the US, it's not like we're sitting here steaming about it and plotting our revenge. (well, sometimes maybe )We do genuinely want a great friendship between the countries.

I know this to be true...I have never felt that you or any of the many Canadians I've met over the past year have anything against Americans as a whole. I know you have issues with our government but on the other hand, at least you know enough about American politics to have issues with it!

And you may tease us a little but its nothing worse than the litany of Canadian jokes we tell

Quote:
I also think Tim Hortons needs to be more prevelant in the US
Now that would improve relations considerably!
Old 07-12-2004, 11:45 PM   #58
Refugee

Location: I live in colombia, with a box of watercolors and butterflies in my tummy
too much south park
Old 07-13-2004, 01:21 AM   #59
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by senrab
One more thing - how many Americans would know what the CRTC is? Huh? Huuuuuh?
Canada's version of the FCC, ouais?

Melon
Old 07-15-2004, 09:28 PM   #60
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by senrab
Of course it rubbed me the wrong way, because you only posted idiotic quotes from Americans. If you had said in the same post what you said later on, "My mother slags Americans and I don't agree with it" my reaction would have been different, of course. But I was just going by exactly what you typed in that post.

I guess it comes across the wrong way over the internet because you're not talking to someone face to face, you're just writing down your thoughts and you can't look someone in the eye. I don't know how to put it, it just seems less harsh when you're debating an issue in person with someone. Sorry.
Apparently you missed the following:

"Nova Scotia? That's awesome! I've never spoken to a Nova Scotianer.", or
"Nova Scotia! Wow, we went there on our vacation, it's beautiful up there!"

I've been called some pretty nasty things by some people at work simply based on the fact that I'm Canadian. In fact, today at work I was called a "fisherman" and a "dirty eskimo" (when I'm not even native), all in the same call.