what an idiot. and yes, it's fox news related.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoomerang96

ONE love, blood, life
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,149142,00.html

O, Canada!
Tuesday, March 01, 2005
By John Gibson

PHOTOS

Click image to enlarge
ARCHIVE SHOW INFO

O, Canada!
March 01, 2005

Second Chances
March 01, 2005

European Economies Over a Barrel
February 25, 2005

Giant Among Giants
February 24, 2005

Royal Watching
February 23, 2005

Dumb and Dumber
February 23, 2005

Up in the Air
February 21, 2005

'If You've Done Time, You're a Democrat'
February 18, 2005

Happy Kyoto Day!
February 17, 2005

You've Been Warned
February 16, 2005

Dodging the Kyoto Bullet
February 16, 2005

Love Is in the Air
February 14, 2005

Oh Canada!
February 11, 2005

Guten Tag, Munich!
February 10, 2005

Just Say No?
February 09, 2005

Moving On Out
February 08, 2005

Delaying Action
February 04, 2005

Angering the Saudis
February 03, 2005

Let's Talk Dynasties
February 02, 2005

Iraq the Vote
February 01, 2005

Whirlwind Tour
January 31, 2005

Iraq, Congratulations
January 31, 2005

Getting Out the Vote
January 28, 2005

Tally Ho!
January 27, 2005

Coming to Their Senses?
January 26, 2005

Stepping Down
January 25, 2005

Silence Is Deafening
January 24, 2005

The Bush Doctrine
January 21, 2005

Bush Pulls Inaugural Punches
January 20, 2005

Europe's Distorted View of the U.S.
January 20, 2005

Barbara's Boxing Match
January 19, 2005

John Gibson, Marked Man
January 18, 2005

Regrets, I've Had a Few
January 17, 2005

Britain's Royal Pain
January 13, 2005

Free to Go
January 12, 2005

Peas in a Pod
January 11, 2005

Lights. Camera. Oscar?
January 10, 2005

What a Year
January 03, 2005

Merry Christmas
December 24, 2004

France, Who?
December 23, 2004
Constant viewers of this program are probably tired of me slapping the Canadians around like a hockey puck -- but what am I supposed to do when they do such dumb things?

It isn't just me, by the way. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice (search) cancelled a meeting with the Canadians in a fit of frustration and pique -- and now the Canadians are running around madly trying to get an appointment with her, which appears to be scheduled for a week from now.

What she is mad about -- and what I am mad about -- is that Canada decided it would pull out of the American-sponsored and American-paid-for North American Missile Defense Program (search).

This program involves the U.S. building a missile defense system and hopefully being able to shoot down missiles aimed at America -- presumably from some nut job nation like North Korea (search).

There's no question the danger exists. The North Koreans have built the missiles, they have the bomb and they're mad at us.

But mysteriously the Canadians pulled out of the deal because public opinion is so anti-American -- specifically so anti-American military.

Now here's the rub: North Korean missiles might very well be coming at America over Canada, and a missile defense system might have to shoot down a missile heading our way over Canada.

The Canadian prime minister said, "This is our airspace. We're a sovereign nation and you don't intrude on a sovereign nations' airspace without seeking permission."

In other words, George W. Bush, kindly give us a call and get our permission before you defend yourself. We won't shoot down missiles aimed at you using our airspace and you may not either unless we say OK.

The proper response from Bush ought to be, "Oh yeah? You and whose army?"

See, the Canadians don't believe in spending money on an army. What's the point? The Americans are going to defend the continent anyway. Let the dumb Americans pay for it.

But now they want us to give a call and ask permission before we defend a maxi 9/11? Canada, c'mon -- Bush invaded a country without your permission. You think he's going to be worried about your sovereign airspace?

The Canadians better hope that if the North Koreans fire a missile at the U.S. they gas it up so it doesn't fall short -- if you get my drift.

That's My Word.
------------------

do these shitheads still not know where canada is on a map?

Basic geometry, it's a shorter distance from North Korea to go over the top of the globe than all the way over the pacific. Looking at flat maps is decieving---a strait line doesn't necessarily meant the shortest distance. So if North Korea ever did shoot missles, which I doubt they ever will, they would likely come over Canadian airspace.

For example, during the Cold War, the vast majority of U.S. and USSR missles would have gone over the north pole because it's a lot shorter distance than over the pacific or europe/atlantic ocean.

Zoomerang96 said:
-- Bush invaded a country without your permission. You think he's going to be worried about your sovereign airspace?

The Canadians better hope that if the North Koreans fire a missile at the U.S. they gas it up so it doesn't fall short -- if you get my drift.

That's My Word.
------------------

Violating Canadian aispace versus inaction against the imminent murder of millions of citizens ~ tough call for the call-maker :eyebrow:

i dont presently have the time

but shockingly the issue is a smidgen deeper than foxnews' analysis.

it has do a lot with politics within canada and quebecois support. but there is significant question whether the system will work and the utility of it.

consider that the canadian refusal to participate (characterizing the canadian action as withdrawl or pulling out is incorrect, the government has never been declared onboard), is the biggest news this thing has gotten in quite awhile. granted, there was recently a relatively successful test launch, but this system seems to have largely been forgotten even by the bush administration.

kobayashi said:
granted, there was recently a relatively successful test launch, but this system seems to have largely been forgotten even by the bush administration.

If you`re referring to the one from last week, that wasn`t actually related to the Ballistic Missile Shield.

It`s true - our Prime Minister made a gaffe when he said the U.S. would need to seek our approval before intercepting a missile heading to the U.S. (I actually laughed at Stockwell Day's mockery "These missiles are coming in at 4 kilometers a second, and if the president calls the 1-800 line and gets: 'Press 1 if you want English, press 2 if you want French, press 0 if nobody's there ...' I mean, it's crazy." )

However, I think the US' response to this is ridiculous - Condoleeza Rice postpones her visit and Bush isn`t returning our Prime Minister`s phone call.
Why must they always punish those whose foreign policy doesn`t closely align with their own?

Bush is always extolling the virtues of democracy yet he doesn`t respect the fact that poll after poll shows that a majority of Canadians oppose missile defence.

Chances of North Korea firing missiles at North America: 0%

Chances of Bush/Cheney cronies in the media spreading disinformation to generate fear: 100%

financeguy said:
Chances of North Korea firing missiles at North America: 0%

Chances of Bush/Cheney cronies in the media spreading disinformation to generate fear: 100%

The 0% might not be completely accurate, but the 100% certainly is.

Melon

it must be said though, Martin did waiver on the issue and like someone else said, its much more complicated. Quebec really have Martin by the balls, and he'll do what they like.

One question i have is that if the Americans did blow a nuke up over Canada would there be any side effects to Canadians? (nuclear fallout, cancer?) Because if there was then fuck that!

bonoman said:

One question i have is that if the Americans did blow a nuke up over Canada would there be any side effects to Canadians? (nuclear fallout, cancer?) Because if there was then fuck that!

have you been paying attention to the Bush Administration policies.

It is better to fight terrorism THERE

than HERE in America.

Of course it is better to have Nuke fallout THERE (Canada)

than HERE in Ameica, one nation under God.

Gibson is hiliarious. I had to watch his show at work in the wake of 9/11 and always thought he was somewhat intellegent (kinda a poor man's Bill O'Rielly), but bought and sold for by the Bush administration from the get-go.

Back
Top Bottom