What about us atheists? Where do we stand? - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-16-2006, 08:50 PM   #91
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 09:20 AM
If god tells people to commit these wars and crimes against other people he is no better than Hiter himself. Btw would anyone argue with that ? if so why ?

Just a opinion i would like to throw into the pit there

Old 07-16-2006, 08:51 PM   #92
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

I haven't studied your list, so I'm not sure how accurate it is. But even if you are 100% accurate about all those wars being fought over religion, do you really think that your list comprises the majority of wars that have happened?

I would think that the greed for land and natural and wealth resources has been at the root of far more wars than religion.
those stuff have been gained as a consquences of those wars. But you are right those were probs contributing factors too.

Old 07-16-2006, 08:52 PM   #93
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Most wars have been started over false Gods (aka not Jesus), yes, I can I agree with that. The consequences of sin are death after all.
Old 07-16-2006, 08:52 PM   #94
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 04:20 AM
I do know the American Civil War. believe me, I know the Civil war. I used to know more about it than I knew about anything. That war had nothing to do with religion.
Old 07-16-2006, 08:53 PM   #95
Refugee

Quote:

I haven't studied your list, so I'm not sure how accurate it is. But even if you are 100% accurate about all those wars being fought over religion, do you really think that your list comprises the majority of wars that have happened?

I would think that the greed for land and natural and wealth resources has been at the root of far more wars than religion.
that list was only a few religious wars/conflicts.

im sure if i researched the subject in depth, i could make a list that would fill 3 pages of this forum.

although i dont care enough to do that
Old 07-16-2006, 08:55 PM   #96
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
I do know the American Civil War. believe me, I know the Civil war. I used to know more about it than I knew about anything. That war had nothing to do with religion.
yeah the war of independence was about taxing i do believe. Wasnt england protestant back then ? But i think the colonies demanded stricter law , im not sure.
Old 07-16-2006, 08:56 PM   #97
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by JMScoopy

that list was only a few religious wars/conflicts.

im sure if i researched the subject in depth, i could make a list that would fill 3 pages of this forum.

although i dont care enough to do that
You know, if I were to take the time, I'll bet I could find just as many in which religion wasn't the root, but land and wealth were.
Old 07-16-2006, 08:57 PM   #98
Refugee

Quote:

yeah, i guess the civil war was more of a policy and land conflict.

although im sure if you went deep enough, there is some religious context to it.
Old 07-16-2006, 08:58 PM   #99
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by vaz02

yeah the war of independence was about taxing i do believe. Wasnt england protestant back then ? But i think the colonies demanded stricter law , im not sure.
The War of Independence actually was partially about religion, in that one of the things the colonists wanted was religious freedom from England.

However, the Civil War had nothing to with religion.
Old 07-16-2006, 08:59 PM   #100
Refugee

Quote:

You know, if I were to take the time, I'll bet I could find just as many in which religion wasn't the root, but land and wealth were.
ok then, make a list, like i did, of wars that were fought just on land and wealth.
Old 07-16-2006, 09:01 PM   #101
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

yeah, i guess the civil war was more of a policy and land conflict.

although im sure if you went deep enough, there is some religious context to it.
The Civil War was mainly about 2 things: slavery and states' rights. The only thing that could slighty be seen as a religious context is the idea that slavery should be outlawed because all men are created equal, and that's stretching the religious aspect a bit much, because even people with no religious beliefs whatsoever know that slavery is wrong.
Old 07-16-2006, 09:08 PM   #102
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

ok then, make a list, like i did, of wars that were fought just on land and wealth.
The truth is that I know a lot more about US History than I do World History. But I will start it now, naming some wars. I will add more to it next Sunday when I have time to research it.

Off the top of my head, these are non-religious wars:

Iraq War
Operation Desert Storm
Vietnam War
Korea
WW 2
WW 1
War of 1812
Mexican American War
The Falklands
American Civil War
Texas' War With Mexico
American Revolution (It was partially about religious freedom, but it was not 2 religious groups fighting each other, so that makes it a non religious war)
Old 07-16-2006, 09:12 PM   #103
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I will say one more thing about the topic I had said I will forget, because I just realized something. The topic clearly says "us Athiests". This thread was not intended for me, and so I will concede that it wasn't for me, and I should have stayed out.
Old 07-16-2006, 09:17 PM   #104
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
I will say one more thing about the topic I had said I will forget, because I just realized something. The topic clearly says "us Athiests". This thread was not intended for me, and so I will concede that it wasn't for me, and I should have stayed out.
Everyone is free to voice there own opinion really lol. I know i would gatecrash a ass licking god thread.
Old 07-16-2006, 09:22 PM   #105
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 10:20 AM
Quote:
make a list, like i did
Really?

http://cantanima.blogspot.com/2005/1...f-atheism.html
http://www.heraldextra.com/component...topic,19603.24

I would be interested to see your OWN personal explanations, based on your OWN knowledge of the various sociopolitical, cultural, and economic factors involved in all these wars you listed, as to how religion was the decisive factor in triggering or sustaining them. Observing that religious "undertones" are present in a given war is a pretty meaningless statement, since the majority of the planet's population belong to some religion or another and thus, religious rationalizations for war are going to appear in almost any conflict. By this logic nation-states, ethnicities, organized economies, land ownership, etc. etc. etc should all be eliminated since they are also present as "undertones" in pretty much any war.

I am also curious as to why, if you are so horrified that wars bearing religious "undertones" exist, you expressed this opinion in the Israel/Lebanon thread:
Quote:
GO ISRAEL!!!

they put up with enough shit, i support 'em 100%.
Surely you would not deny that Israel's position has religious "undertones" as well--why then are you so unequivocally supportive of it?

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης