What about us atheists? Where do we stand? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-15-2006, 07:45 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 05:33 PM
I'm so proud to be a atheist, it means I don't believe the tooth or Santa too.

I'm spiritual but have always been dead against religion in any sort. I believe in the cosmos and ghosts. I don't believe in karma, but i do respect nature and I kind of believe in the phrase mother nature.

I believe religion is the evil of evil and is the worst possible excuse for someone's actions. Come on , everyone claims to do everything in their gods name , surely that just makes ya think if there really is one lol.

I respect guys like Lenin and Stalin in the way they gained control without using religion but using fear. Centuries and thousands of years earlier people used god and religion as a method of law and order but these guys used brute force and didn't pin it on a god or summit kind of respect them for that.

In a ideal world everyone could believe what they like but as the world stands and has done since the dawn of time people have had their wires crossed and has caused create pain and suffering which is a reason I don't believe in any religions.

On the war in Iraq i believe it was the right thing to do, Saddam was a evil man and over throwing him was the best thing to do.

And all these stories about jesus and the bread and fish is like
how old are you 5 ?

p.s if all atheists are mass murders on this board does that make all you god fearing guys and dolls terroists ?

Old 07-15-2006, 08:11 PM   #17
War Child

Local Time: 12:33 AM
I'm an atheist and religious.

Buddhist here. Amy if you want my opinion please email me at: belilindt (at) gmail (dot) com.

I don't often post in FYM as I don't loike it.

Old 07-15-2006, 08:12 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by Shag On A Rock
I'm an atheist and religious.

Buddhist here. Amy if you want my opinion please email me at: belilindt (at) gmail (dot) com.

I don't often post in FYM as I don't loike it.
i dont understand buddism at all , could u sum it up for me please lol.

i need educating.
Old 07-15-2006, 08:29 PM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:33 AM
Atheist and anti-theist here.
Old 07-15-2006, 08:52 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Even though I'm a practicing Catholic I can see why many people are fed up with religion. I grew up in an austere Methodist environment, and our church was full of Ku Klux Klansmen. This was a pretty disgusting state of affairs, to put it mildly. I became an agnostic and stayed one for years. I don't feel that people who belong to my church are any more moral than alot of atheists and agnostics. I had a conversion experience and was confirmed a Catholic on an Easter Vigil. But I feel like I in some way have something in common with many agnostics in particular.
Old 07-15-2006, 09:10 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by WildHoneyAlways

Just to be clear, I am neither amoral or a mass murderer as some on this board believe atheists to be.
I don't know where you came up with that.
Old 07-15-2006, 11:23 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 12:33 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by WildHoneyAlways

Just because someone doesn't believe what you do doesn't make it a negative thread.
You're right.

What makes it a negative, incindiary post is using the term "figment of imagination" to describe God, and saying that using scripture in support of an argument is akin to "making things up", and using a phrase like the "hatred filled shouts of the religious". Those are aggressive and attacking words. No one should be surprised when button-pushing words actually push someone's buttons.
Old 07-16-2006, 02:21 AM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

Figment of the imagination may be out of turn, imaginary friend may be a better choice or even dear leader ~ I fancy God would share a bit in common with earthly tyrants.

Scripture is using the thoughts and words of man to justify the world as it is. It is completely valid to answer the believer with mockery and an absence of respect for their ideas, it may be agressive and attacking but it the nature of discourse and it is the only way to elucidate what they truly think.

I stand that religion is the simple way for people to escape the conclusion that when we die our self ceases to be, that fear of death and the unknown has kept this lie going all through human history and that the result of this lie is the resignation and nihilism of the religious fanatic.
Old 07-16-2006, 02:36 AM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

I'm personally getting tired of people starting threads like this and then getting mad when someone replies in a way he/she doesn't like.

In your post, you consistently implied that athiests like yourself love peace and religious people are hateful and love war. So, I provided examples of two of the most barbaric and hateful world leaders of all time who were athiets, to show you that athiesm has its share of hatemongers, also.

Surely you had to know that such a negative thread would elicit an argument. You threw out the bait and then you get upset when someone takes that bait?
Hitler and Stalin weren't killing for atheism, the same can't be said of Torquemada or Mohammed, their deeds and their beliefs.
Old 07-16-2006, 03:18 AM   #25
Refugee

Location: The city of blinding lights and amazing coffee - Melbourne.
Local Time: 04:33 AM
Thank you all for you comments. I do feel slightly relieved that there are other people like me out here in Free Your Mind as it sometimes can feel as if its "Free Your Mind...to God" on here.

The funny thing is, I like being agnostic. I like that i'm not tied to a religion and while religious people don't offend me when they start spouting their "scripture" i do get offended when people think that i am missing out, or something is wrong with me to not believe in God. I mean, how much easier is it to not believe? And when you see supposedly religious people living their lives full of 'sin' you think, well if a devout religious person can't even abide by their religions laws, what does that say about it in the first place?

Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

You're right.

What makes it a negative, incindiary post is using the term "figment of imagination" to describe God, and saying that using scripture in support of an argument is akin to "making things up", and using a phrase like the "hatred filled shouts of the religious". Those are aggressive and attacking words. No one should be surprised when button-pushing words actually push someone's buttons.
Ok you obviously arn't understand my message so I'll break it down for you.

Religion is about faith isn't it? To my knowledge God hasn't come down to earth this year and say 'hey im the real deal, follow me!' has he? So you believe in him through faith, which could be said is your imagination. Religious people believe he speaks to them, or sends them signs etc. How many of them would scoff at someone who said the trees were talking to them, or a traffic light was sending them signs? You'd call these people mentally ill and put them on medication. Yet when religious people talk about God, who has never shown anything to anyone in their lifetime, we have to believe it? And don't use the whole 'the world is god' excuse, cause i believe evolution and science has explained all that. So thats why i call it a figment of an imagination, because you see things that you believe are sent form God and turn that into truth....hence using your imagination to believe simple things are more then that. Thats what I see.

Scripture is from a book written by some guys about someone who they thought was divine. It wasn't written by God its self, so its just like a non fiction book about history. Yet you use those words like absolute gospel, and half the time twist the words around to match your point. As i don't believe in God, I obviously don't believe the Bible is 'his words' and therefore when people start spouting 'Luke this' 'Corrinthians that' its like saying 56% of people make up shit to force their point on other people. It can't be a fact when one side doesn't believe any of the words. Can you see that?

And as for hatred filled words. Do you believe that anyone who doesn't believe in God will go to hell? But what if they said the same thing to you. That you're going to "hell" because you believe in a Christian god. What would you feel then? Pity, resentment? Would you think there wrong (just like they do you?) This can then turn into a match of words, each more vicious then the last as you both fight to the dying breath that you are both right. And tell me, you've never see a TV evangelist getting all hepped up about the deviants in society? I can see it even if you can't.

So there is a bit more of an explanation for you, as i dont believe they were attacing remarks, but rather something that I believe and see before me.
If i said all religious people are nutters then you could say that, but I don't believe that, I believe people can have their own views, as long as they don't try to shove it and make othe rpeople believe what they do.
Old 07-16-2006, 03:33 AM   #26
Jesus Online

Great posts, Amy. I see what you're saying and I agree. Many do.
Old 07-16-2006, 03:37 AM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I honestly don't really care if anyone here attacks my beliefs simply because I'm confident in my faith.

I don't understand why so many people take offense. It's almost as if they feel the need to prove the worth of their views to others.
Old 07-16-2006, 03:51 AM   #28
Jesus Online

It is as though some need to prove the worth of their views. And you know why that is, shart? 'Cause a favourite angle around these parts is to imply and even outright argue that you cannot have a moral compass without faith. And you know what? Some people reckon an unseeable God is voodoo. So yeah, pardon them for being on the defensive. And you want to know something else for nothing? I love the 'best form of defence is attack' which is so prevalent on here.
Old 07-16-2006, 04:52 AM   #29
Refugee

Local Time: 04:03 AM
I concur amy. I'm only 19 years old, and I was a full fervent/devout Christian for the first 14 years of my life and I turned into an Athiest with not an inch of belief (perhaps deism is becoming more appealing to me recently) in me from then on. My Mum and my Catholic school inundated me with meaningless, factually devoid dogma (I didn't see it as that back then) into me since birth which I happily accepted and never questioned. However, after about 14, I started to be able to think and analyse critically everything about my 'faith,' and everything about Catholicism didnt syncronise with my scientific mind. It is then I started reading about Christianity and to a lesser extent, the other main religions, from a factual perspective and understood how much corruption and lies have been spread throughout the history of modern religion. And my doubt is perpetuated by the understanding of human nature and how it is naturally flawed.
So it is through education that I became an Athiest, and I'm sure this is how many of your athiestic ways came about. If you possess the ability to have a TRUELY open mind and take into account various facts from a variety of sources, I can't see how anyone can be religious. I've found, that when I confront religious people with legitimate facts that should shake the foundations of their faith (like it did to me), they just completely negate them and shut them out or tell me to 'shutup'. I have discovered that it is very hard for a religious mind to be rational and logical, when faced with doubt. But the athiests mind is structured quite differently, it is open, and more susceptible to other points of views.
So yes in conclusion, my journey of athiesm can be summed up with a Bono quote 'The more you know, the Less you believe.'
And in answer to your topic question. We have no standing in the world today. Even in our modern world with science reducing the need for religious explanation and God, there is still an abundance of believers that don't seem to be swayed no matter what you tell them. The vast majority of the world will look down on us because the need for God, to them, is paramount to human nature.....to challenge that notion (like we do), is something almost subhuman.
Old 07-16-2006, 05:46 AM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Yeah, I am with the thread starter, amy.

I find hard core anti-theism to be nearly as offensive as hardcore mobilised religiosity, but I also understand that is in no way what amy was promoting.

Myself, I'd have to say I'm someone who veers somewhere between faith and agnosticism, just based on the last few decades of my life. I haven't had any religious awakenings yet.

angela harlem, I love your new 'in your face' persona - keep it up.