What about us atheists? Where do we stand? - Page 16 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2006, 09:18 PM   #226
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by vaz02

Intresting lyrics for Acrobat that i think seem a bit relevant for this subject.

Do religious folk believe in evolution? or does that contradict the Adam and Eve story ?
I believe in evolution. I think evolution is such an amazing thing that only God could have done it. I think this is a fairly common view among Catholics as most, if not all, of us believe in evolution.

Old 07-18-2006, 09:39 PM   #227
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by WildHoneyAlways

Unbelievable.

Why wouldn't they matter? You still haven't answered what God has to do with it?
You need to ask yourself why they WOULD matter? If there is no God our emotions really are just chemical reactons. If that's true then our emotions really mean nothing on a higher level. You act like human emotions are some sort of divine thing even though there's no God. I think the reason atheits like to believe this is simply because it makes them feel good.

If there is no higher level of being whatsoever then our feelings truly do not matter.

Old 07-18-2006, 09:49 PM   #228
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by shart1780

If there is no higher level of being whatsoever then our feelings truly do not matter.
So your feelings didn't matter until you started believing in God?

I hope your parents didn't feel the same way...
Old 07-18-2006, 09:53 PM   #229
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:

You need to ask yourself why they WOULD matter? If there is no God our emotions really are just chemical reactons. If that's true then our emotions really mean nothing on a higher level. You act like human emotions are some sort of divine thing even though there's no God. I think the reason atheits like to believe this is simply because it makes them feel good.

I don't need to ask myself anything. I have never once implied that I felt that emotions are of divine nature. No atheist in this thread has made that claim. The only people who have have been the "believers." You have some serious misconceptions of what atheists believe and don't believe. Many people in this thread have attempted to enlighten you but you don't seem to be paying attention. If you choose to remain ignorant there is nothing I can do about it.

It seems to me the only reason you are in this thread is to tell the non-theists they are wrong or they don't know what they are talking about. Your argument is not relevant to me or to others atheists. In my opinion, it doesn't even make sense. Many posters have offered you intelligent, well thought out responses and you counter with attacks. Perhaps it's time for you to let it go.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:05 AM   #230
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by vaz02

Do religious folk believe in evolution? or does that contradict the Adam and Eve story ?
You answered your own question, sort of. Evolution is science, "Adam & Eve" is a story. As a religious person, I believe in evolution (even as far as humans). The story of Adam & Eve does not deny evolution, at the very least, and in some way supports it. It depends on whether you read certain translations and take it literally, or prefer the original meanings found in the Hebrew text.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:55 AM   #231
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:

It's very simple

Let's say being in love with a human being, not your mother, your brother, your father etc., but being 'in love' was emotion #1,546.

Emotion #1,546 could come from a chemical reaction or God.
It wouldn't change the emotion itself, therefore there is no distinction between the source of the emotion. The emotion #1,546 would either be a reaction to specific conditions taking place or it would be something else, a gift from God, whatever. Emotion #1,546 is the same. Therefore, if you don't actually know it's source, you're back to square one. It is what it is.
Old 07-19-2006, 01:00 AM   #232
Refugee

Local Time: 09:29 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by trevster2k
^ did you read the non-bold stuff?

Who says because the building blocks of nature are chemical processes like cells, amino acids and proteins, there is no beauty and value of nature. All that statement suggests is that we are a part of this world along with every other organism on the planet.

Yep, human consiciousness is a function of the human brain, not a gift from a deity. But it is this consciousness which allows us to experience our beautiful world and create wonders through art, stories and music.

The rules of conduct for societies have evolved throughout time. The events that structured the rules in 2000BC are not the same as today. In case you haven't noticed, not doing the following: murder, molestation, hate, anger, stealing and so on are not exclusively Christian morals. They are universal traits generally accepted by all human beings regardless of religious origin. The non-Christian cultures got their social rules from somewhere but it wasn't God. Empathy, caring, sharing, loving and other emotions are functions of the human brain which allow us to understand actions which are acceptable and which aren't. So where did they get them from since they worshipped a different deity? That's all that line is suggesting.

That's a mighty big assumption you make about not believing in an external deity as an easier path. Who says life is nothing more than the pursuit of our self-interests? Every person on this planet is concerned about their self-interests and has selfish traits, even you but is this is underlying reason for existing, hardly. You assume because people don't believe in a deity, they can't have emotions and view the world as a cold sterile existence. On the contrary, I view the world as a remarkable place filled with beauty and wonder. My place on this planet is to hopefully leave a positive mark on this world whether it be through my friendships, family or through other ways. Re-read the 7th point, and think about how challenging it is to try and live a life like that.

I think you misinterpret a rejection of religion as a rejection of humanity and morals. On the contrary, I feel it is embracing humans and morals on a different scale. I don't HAVE to follow doctrine and rules to be a better person, I just strive for it because it's the right thing to do.
Thank you, that was beautiful
Old 07-19-2006, 01:23 AM   #233
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

So your feelings didn't matter until you started believing in God?

I hope your parents didn't feel the same way...
I said if there's no God, which there is, thus our feelings do matter.

IF there was no God none of our feeling would matter. My post was pretty clear on that.
Old 07-19-2006, 01:24 AM   #234
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:29 PM
Quote:

IF there was no God none of our feeling would matter. My post was pretty clear on that.
That's only what YOU think. Other people think differently. Deal with it.
Old 07-19-2006, 01:28 AM   #235
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by U2DMfan

It's very simple

Let's say being in love with a human being, not your mother, your brother, your father etc., but being 'in love' was emotion #1,546.

Emotion #1,546 could come from a chemical reaction or God.
It wouldn't change the emotion itself, therefore there is no distinction between the source of the emotion. The emotion #1,546 would either be a reaction to specific conditions taking place or it would be something else, a gift from God, whatever. Emotion #1,546 is the same. Therefore, if you don't actually know it's source, you're back to square one. It is what it is.
It seems to me like none of you are even trying to understand me. I'm being pretty clear here.

If there is no God our feelings would matter.

If there is a God our feelings do matter.

I believe there is a God, thus I think all of our feelings matter. Alot of you not only aren't sure if there is a God, but outright deny His existance and call Him nothing more than a figment of my imagination.

Now tell me, if there is nothing higher than us and we are just animals roaming this Earth, WHY does anything we feel matter. Someone please give me a short, concise answer because I haven't gorren one yet.
Old 07-19-2006, 01:30 AM   #236
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:29 AM
Quote:

Define matter? In that emotions come from neurochemical interactions they have a basis in the real world, to suggest that they are somehow supernatural is ignoring the evidence for this.
Old 07-19-2006, 01:30 AM   #237
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by indra

That's only what YOU think. Other people think differently. Deal with it.
I know that. I was just clearing up his trying to twist my words to make me look like a jackass.
Old 07-19-2006, 01:34 AM   #238
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:29 AM
Quote:
WHY does anything we feel matter.
You are an organism with an inherent drive to survive and reproduce, feelings matter because they enable both these functions in organisms with self-awareness and to a degree choice.

Feelings and emotions are not an existential cause to be, their existence does not demand esoteric purpose but practical function, namely the social interactions that enabled homo sapiens to beat out the other homonids.

And what is it with the "him"? Is this supposed entity the bearer of a Y chromosome, does it have sex with other Gods and then the other Gods are the ones that bear it's offspring - it is a truly anthropomorphic concept.
Old 07-19-2006, 01:37 AM   #239
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
Define matter? In that emotions come from neurochemical interactions they have a basis in the real world, to suggest that they are somehow supernatural is ignoring the evidence for this.
I believe our feelings matter because God created us in hopes that we, hopefully through His help, could lead happy, fulfilling lives. I believe God is personally hurt when we sin because He knows the consequences of sin on our own lives and on the lives of others. I believe there actually is someone up there who created us to have a personal relationship with Him and have happy lives.

Now, if there is no God I believe we're essentially animals who have evolved to the point where we think we matter in the grand scheme of things somehow. When we died why would it truly matter if we led a good life? Who would miss us when our loved ones passed away as well? No one. We'd simply rot in the dirt with worms crawling through our eyeballs.

If there is no God absolutely NO ONE would give a rat's ass if every single one of us went extinct.
Old 07-19-2006, 01:42 AM   #240
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:59 PM
You know why you're not getting the answer you want, cause we don't think your question MATTERS!!

For all the athiests here,

disclaimer: The following may not be appropriate for sensitive viewers and may contain scenes of violence, sexuality and coarse language. Viewer discretion is advised.

LOOK AWAY!!
LOOK AWAY!!
LOOK AWAY!!
LOOK AWAY!!
LOOK AWAY!!
LOOK AWAY!!