What about us atheists? Where do we stand? - Page 13 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2006, 03:58 AM   #181
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 05:08 AM
I didn't come in here to evangelize. I'm smart enough to understand that it won't help people who've already rejected God. I came in to make a relevant point. People always say to me "I have no interest in God even if He's there". My point is that if my God does exist you'll eventually have to face him whether you're interested or not.

Old 07-18-2006, 04:04 AM   #182
Refugee

Location: The city of blinding lights and amazing coffee - Melbourne.
Local Time: 04:08 PM
And my point is, I *know* he doesn't exist, its not like im a fair weather non believer, I just know he doesn't exist myself, so i'm not worried about facing him at the end of my life. And i haven't REJECTED him, because there is no him.

Look i dont want to argue with you, i said at the start that I have never had a proper debate/discussion with a religious person, because for some reason they cannot fathom that i honestly 100% do not believe in anything about their religion and that i haven't "rejected it" or been "poisened by it" or turned my back on it, I don't ACCEPT it at the start, so i feel no reason to even discuss it?

Why can you not understand this?

Old 07-18-2006, 04:06 AM   #183
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:08 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by trevster2k

I have noticed the people who have popped one to contribute to the thread and answer Amy's question about athiesm, have done so almost sheepishly. I agree with yolland about allowing everyone to post in threads, but sometimes the atmosphere can become uncomfortable for people to share their ideas as not everyone here wants to participate in a debate. Some merely wish to share an opinion and I'm certain FYM has lost many excellent contributions from other members.
I keep planning to post in here -- on the original topic, I don't feel like just sniping -- but other things have kept getting in the way. With any luck this thread will still be open when I am finally able to type out a thoughtful answer (which should be in a day or so).
Old 07-18-2006, 04:37 AM   #184
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:08 PM
I know that the more we learn the less religious belief offers answers about where we came from, I also know that I find the very concept of God repellent to the extreme.
Old 07-18-2006, 04:50 AM   #185
Rock n' Roll Doggie

acrobatmanism is what I have started

acrobatmanism has just started yesterday...so by definition it cant be outdated

but it is the only way to heaven...i can assure you :-)
Old 07-18-2006, 09:00 AM   #186
Refugee

Local Time: 03:38 PM
My fellow Athiests and believers should invest some of their spare time in reading this site http://whydoesgodhateamputees.com/summary.htm
It's a very interesting critique of Christianty and more specifically how God has no impact and does not manifest himself in the world in any way. It's written very simply, logically and in layman's terms.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:05 AM   #187
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by shart1780

I pity the evangelist that comes to your door.
same , he should get a life, and to think he does it for free, RIP OFF!
Old 07-18-2006, 09:11 AM   #188
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Shart1790 how gutted are you gonna feel when you die and nothing is there ? or instantly reincarnated as something like a woodlice ?
Old 07-18-2006, 11:47 AM   #189
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:08 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by dazzlingamy
And my point is, I *know* he doesn't exist, its not like im a fair weather non believer, I just know he doesn't exist myself, so i'm not worried about facing him at the end of my life. And i haven't REJECTED him, because there is no him.

See, you and I are at opposite ends of the God-spectrum, but what I think is MORE important is the simple fact that we have a common ground because we are both stubbornly committed to our beliefs, whatever those may be. I have way more respect for someone that has this devotion, even if it's not the same as mine, than I do for a lot of my "Christian" friends who can't even say why they believe what they believe.

I think it's really impossible to discuss religion, because in order to have a real dialogue, you've got to put yourself in someone else's shoes. When it comes to religion/faith, no one wants to do that. I can't fathom not believing in something greater than myself, just as you can't fathom the existence of a God. Fair enough. As long as we are both committed to what we believe and can appreciate each other for that, then this is really any issue of respect, not religion.

Amy, none of your posts have been offensive to me as a Christian because you are respectful. It's just the basics of having a decent conversation. You're consistently defending yourself without offending others by saying "I believe/I don't believe" while others, who ARE offensive, are saying "You are this/You aren't this-------because you believe in God." Pointing fingers, in any context, is offensive.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:12 PM   #190
Refugee

Local Time: 11:08 PM
Re: Re: Re: What about us atheists? Where do we stand?

Quote:

Firstly, I care because I think its a pretty pathetic waste of time to fight any war, but to have a war filled with religious undertones, to have the Christinaity vs Muslim or Judaism vs Muslim continually going on, it just to me, so UTTERLY POINTLESS as both sides believe in something that is a figment of their imagination, and instead of playing that 'im right you're wrong you're going to hell blah blah' bullshit, actually work out why the hell we keep fighting for? Ok the Israeli/Palestinian conflict is obviously to do mostly with the taking of Palestian lands, but why is Lebanon involed? Why do they care so much about the Israelis? It wasn't their land they were "given". So why do they care? Because of their religion? I can see that more believiably then any other answer.
Right, I get that, where you're coming from that is. But why bother? I mean to you, we're nothing more than talking plants. Our thoughts are nothing more than chemical responses to external inputs. We love so we can procreate, we fear so we can stay alive, etc. If it's all just a bunch of chemical reactions, what's with all the caring? You mention your boyfriend in a later post. I assume you love him or at least care a great deal about him. But with no divine spark, that love or caring you feel is nothing more than natures impulse to procreate. You love to travel, again a chemical reaction of released endorphins when encountering new stimuli. Seems rather animalistic and trivial to me.

Quote:
And of COURSE i care about people's lives. I feel like I live for my LIFE. I don't think about the afterlife, I don't think i'm going to heaven or hell, so you know what, my life, my lifespan is now! So why would I want people to die at 20 or 50 years when I believe is this is all you get. Have fun while the ride lasts, and hope that it lasts a long time. I think live you're life the best you know how, have fun, take time to enjoy the simple things of life, work on yourself rather then trying to convert everyone else to your views and you've lived a good life.
I do all that. And I'm not trying to convert you. If fact, I really could care less about it. You're a U2 fan, and U2 are all christians (I think; maybe not Adam) but they're not trying to convert you either. Why do you feel so threatened? Do you feel threatened every time someone presents an idea or thought to you that you can relate to? Even if they're being forceful about it, so what? I think everyone of us have come across those wacko zealots who are trying to convert someone to one cause or another. It can be Christianity or Amway. They're annoying. Get over it.

Quote:
And lastly, yes it may be slightly self centred to be worried about travelling, but there are no selfless people in the world, and im not going to pretend i'm on of them. Obviously i'm more worried about the lives of innocent people caught up in these conflicts, but I LOVE and LIVE to travel, and it disappoints me that there are places in MY WORLD that I can't visit.
No it's not slightly, it's totally self centered. Your whole basis for this is you. Your life, your time, your world, your plans, your beliefs. It's all you talk about. My personal opinion on your beliefs is that you dare not believe in God because if you did then you wouldn't have the justification to do whatever the heck you feel like doing.

And one last thing. This figment of imagination thing. I assume since you don't believe in God, you are a believer in Science. Great so am I. But you do know that the most basic building blocks of all science fact starts with still unproven science theory right? The big bang, unproven. Evolution, unproven. So who exactly is believing in figments of the imagination?

PS, I do believe in the big bang and evolution - I just think they had a little help.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:19 PM   #191
Blue Crack Addict

Snowlock, you said you're not trying to convert her, but that's kind what it sounds like.

I think the point of this thread was to see a discussion of atheism, not the atheists come out of the woodwork and then the Christians try to tell them they are wrong. Christianity has so many denominations, beliefs, and styles to choose from; I'd imagine atheism can be just as diverse and I'm interested in reading more about it. It seems like a lot of people have this assuption that the atheists worldview is basically the lack of a worldview, and I don't think that's fair. If atheism can be as much of a "faith" as Christianity, I'd like to know how believing in atheism affects the daily decisions atheists make.

I think the thread sort of got derailed.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:21 PM   #192
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Deleted...forgot that I was suggested not to post on this thread anymore.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:29 PM   #193
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic
Snowlock, you said you're not trying to convert her, but that's kind what it sounds like.
Converting and questioning are not the same thing. I haven't suggested she go to church or reevalute her life. I'm asking if you don't believe, then why bother caring? It's a fair question.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:32 PM   #194
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Snowlock

Converting and questioning are not the same thing. I haven't suggested she go to church or reevalute her life. I'm asking if you don't believe, then why bother caring? It's a fair question.
Caring about what? Health? Other people? To me, those are matters of common sense. You basically deduced that she's a selfish person and only cares for her own animal instincts.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:36 PM   #195
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic

Caring about what? Health? Other people? To me, those are matters of common sense. You basically deduced that she's a selfish person and only cares for her own animal instincts.
Thank you livluv.

I don't understand why people think that if some one is atheist that they don't care about anything.