What about us atheists? Where do we stand? - Page 12 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2006, 01:45 AM   #166
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 04:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by trevster2k
Amy, you brought up an interesting point about God. Yeah, in the Catholic church, you can pretty much do whatever you want, show up Sunday, confess to the priest, be given penance and off you go to start a fresh week, guilt free. Wow, that's awesome. What a great system.

Another that I find troubling is if God is so loving and forgiving, how come if you don't accept Him, that's it, you're out of the club and it's fire and brimstone for you in eternity in the pits of hell. Sounds like a dictatorship to me, it's my way or the highway. Billions of people don't believe in God, (the Christian God), are they all going to hell or what about the millions of people who never heard of God in the past?

Christianity is not the only religion with the problems of being misinterpreted by people who in turn screw with the minds of others. Islam has the same problem along with Judaism and Hinduism. For some reason, the divine teachings aren't clear and succinct enough to have one version.
These are things I've pondered many, many times. Especially the second paragraph. The conclusion I've come to regarding that is that I'm living my life to the best of my ability, and if I'm wrong in my views and there is a God, then hopefully that will be good enough. If it's not, than it's probably a God that I don't have much interest in, anyway.

I was also thinking of the wide variation of beliefs held by Christians of various denominations. If they can't get it together and agree on one version of the truth, and one set of rules to live by, how do they expect to convince others of the validity of their message? As is, it merely becomes their version of the truth - one of many.

Old 07-18-2006, 01:47 AM   #167
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by trevster2k

Hey, perhaps someone should start a thread on denominations that all the Christians are affiliated with so we can hear different doctrines from each Church. I think that would be an interesting discussion.
Ooh, ooh. Start it, start it! I'd find that interesting as well. There's a lot I've wanted to respond to in this thread, but I just really think that this isn't the place to do it since a lot of it was way off topic. I'm gonna start a thread on conversions.

Old 07-18-2006, 02:02 AM   #168
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:37 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by VintagePunk

TThe conclusion I've come to regarding that is that I'm living my life to the best of my ability, and if I'm wrong in my views and there is a God, then hopefully that will be good enough. If it's not, than it's probably a God that I don't have much interest in, anyway.

I agree with that statement too, I try to be a good person, not steal, cheat with my friend's wives, not kill anyone, you know the stuff you aren't supposed to do anyway. I figure I live a more moral life than some Christians but I don't believe, oh well, better to rule in hell then serve in heaven.

Vintage, you should look into finding a book called Can We Be Good without God by Robert Buckman . It came out a few years back. Robert Buckman is world renowned Canadian oncologist is a steadfast humanist. It is an interesting read about how to answer the criticism that if you don't believe in anything, how can you feel anything and live a good life.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:24 AM   #169
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:07 PM
I think what you should be more concerned about is whether or not the God you're talking about has any interest in you.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:59 AM   #170
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by shart1780
I think what you should be more concerned about is whether or not the God you're talking about has any interest in you.
Thanks for addressing our questions and reaffirming my disinterest in participating in religion.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:05 AM   #171
Refugee

Location: The city of blinding lights and amazing coffee - Melbourne.
Local Time: 08:07 AM
^ LOL

I think you need to know shart1780, i don't want your God anywhere near me.

And i'm more concerned about what i'm going to have for tea tonight then if you're God is looking after me.

Bah with your msgs. Go start another thread, you obviously can't accept that to me, you're talking bollocks with your god this, Christinaity that. I'm not interested.

Also agree VP. If I live my life the best that I can, i'm happy. I don't need the protection of a piece of fluff in the wind to validate my life.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:14 AM   #172
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I think you misunderstood what I'm saying. My point is that if there is a God he's there regardless of if you're interested or not. Of course my God is interested in you.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:18 AM   #173
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
I think you misunderstood what I'm saying. My point is that if there is a God he's there regardless of if you're interested or not. Of course my God is interested in you.
Shart, maybe you should leave it alone.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:23 AM   #174
Rock n' Roll Doggie

People here really do go in a tizzy over this stuff... not fun.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:29 AM   #175
Refugee

I'm not in a tizzy, i just don't like being preached at that all. And you said it yourself 'if there is a God' which to me theres not, so end of discussion about whether he does or doesn't care.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:42 AM   #176
Rock n' Roll Doggie

You're basically on a God bashing spree and I come in and make a post stating that God cares about you, and somehow that angers you even more...

I pity the evangelist that comes to your door.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:43 AM   #177
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Right now, there is a thread about Alternative Christian Worship Services. Aside from a couple of good-hearted jokes, does anyone notice that none of us agnostic/athiests are over there condemning or defending the existance or non-existance of God and that it is a waste of time? We have no agenda. Please let the atheists sit alone in our dark morbid existance on our one lonely thread.

Thanks for your attention. Now don't click on this link, this is for athiests/agnostics only or people with a sense of humour

http://thatvideosite.com/view/856.html
Old 07-18-2006, 03:46 AM   #178
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 10:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest
I will say one more thing about the topic I had said I will forget, because I just realized something. The topic clearly says "us Athiests". This thread was not intended for me, and so I will concede that it wasn't for me, and I should have stayed out.
There's no such thing as a thread with a "Keep Out" sign, and any thread concerning atheism, regardless of what POV it starts out from, is pretty much guaranteed to provoke clashes; that's just the nature of the topic. While I appreciate maycocksean's generous point, I'm not sure the analogy to atheists trolling a Bible discussion thread fully holds--unless, of course, said Bible thread consists extensively of posts explicitly criticizing atheism or atheists. (In which case, interjections in defense of atheism would be completely appropriate.)

However, 80s, by my count, your posts do literally comprise one-forth of the thread at this point, and--given the context--I think that's a bit too much. Please give it a rest for awhile. Thanks.

shart...I think maybe it's time for you to give it a break too.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 07-18-2006, 03:48 AM   #179
Refugee

LMAO!!! I love that bit!!! My boyf and I always go 'hey hey lookie this' 'da na na na na na na naaaa naaaa' and do it to each other. I almost crashed our car once from laughing so hard LOL

Side note: I haven't God bashed once n this whole thread. You can't bash something that doesn't exist!
Old 07-18-2006, 03:49 AM   #180
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
You're basically on a God bashing spree and I come in and make a post stating that God cares about you, and somehow that angers you even more...

I pity the evangelist that comes to your door.
You still don't get it. I understand that it is your calling as a Christian to spread the word of God and save people. But this is the exact thing that many of us have talked about which has driven us away from religion. The more you tell us how much God loves us, the more we are biting our tongues and not saying something rude.

If you told me you love the colour blue but have no interest in red and I kept offering you red things over and over and over after you kept refusing it and after communicating your distaste for red things, would you politely take the red item anyway or eventually ram it into one of my orifices? That's my point.

I have noticed the people who have popped one to contribute to the thread and answer Amy's question about athiesm, have done so almost sheepishly. I agree with yolland about allowing everyone to post in threads, but sometimes the atmosphere can become uncomfortable for people to share their ideas as not everyone here wants to participate in a debate. Some merely wish to share an opinion and I'm certain FYM has lost many excellent contributions from other members.