What About The Other 15 Percent?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can see how people would tend to vote for the male candidate if both were equally qualified. I think it's a subconscious cultural mindset that would probably be as likely to affect women as men. It's kind of a shame that we haven't had a woman president yet, though, if we're such a progressive country.

I wonder how many women would vote for Condi...

If she were up against a male.

MrsSpringsteen said:
Commander In Chief premieres tonight, I will be watching (that and the game)

At least we can have a make believe female President, I am interested to see how they portray it

I heard a Republican today on the radio talk about how this series was written and filmed specifically to get Clinton in office.:|

Dreadsox said:

I wouldn't vote for her if she were up against an alien. :madspit:

Dreadsox said:

Well, presumably if they were conservatives they'd vote for her for that reason, and if they were liberals, they'd vote for him for that reason...EXCEPT for members of this "other 15%" who--regardless of leanings--would vote for him (or nobody) *because they're inherently opposed to a female President*. Remember how Nixon used race to split the Democrats?
Irvine511 said:
i think i will see a female president in my lifetime, but i am almost certain the first one will be a Republican.
In PoliSci circles there's a theory--it actually used to be called "Iron Lady" theory, after Ms. Thatcher--derived from the observation (or perception, if you prefer) that female heads of state tend disproportionately to be very hawkish and conservative (Thatcher, Gandhi, Meir, Bhutto, etc.). The idea being that this is a compensatory device along the lines of short people's Napoleon complexes--i.e., a woman can come to power IF she goes out of her way to drive home the point that she, too, can be a tough, hardnosed bastard.

Wait, this thread exists because a TV show?

How lame. The world we live in is entertainment enough....now we need a female president because TV sazys so?

Uh no, I didn't start it "because of a TV show", we don't need a female President because of a TV show, and it's not "lame" in my humble opinion, but thanks for the insult. I think we need one because it's 2005 and it's high time. As long as someone is quailifed for the job why the hell not?

It's like the speaker of the house in the show. She was all set to follow the President's wishes until he opened his neanderthal sexist mouth. Maybe that woke her up to the fact that something needed to be done and to the fact that she had the will and ability to get the job done.

The show isn't perfect but at least it's thought provoking..more than you can say about maybe 90 % of the other shows on TV.

And I would never vote for Condi just because she's a woman. I vote my preference, if it happens to be a woman that's great.

Last edited:
theblazer said:
Wait, this thread exists because a TV show?

How lame. The world we live in is entertainment enough....now we need a female president because TV sazys so?

Do you read the threads? Ever?

yolland said:
In PoliSci circles there's a theory--it actually used to be called "Iron Lady" theory, after Ms. Thatcher--derived from the observation (or perception, if you prefer) that female heads of state tend disproportionately to be very hawkish and conservative (Thatcher, Gandhi, Meir, Bhutto, etc.). The idea being that this is a compensatory device along the lines of short people's Napoleon complexes--i.e., a woman can come to power IF she goes out of her way to drive home the point that she, too, can be a tough, hardnosed bastard.

might well explain HRC's super hawkish position on Iraq.

I don't understand why someone would judge a candidate based on their gender. These people have questionable decision-making skills.

It's unfortunate but the Democratic candidate for Lt. Gov. here in VA is a woman and she has no chance...mostly because she is a woman. Hopefully people will change by the time I'm old enough and ready to run...otherwise there will be a lot of ice I'll have to break.

Back
Top Bottom