What a momentous occasion!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
tennispunk said:
FYI you can get called for jury duty if you don't register to vote. They use drivers license records. the bastids!

Aha! Is that how it works? I wonder if its the same in Australia.

I have never been called for jury duty and I have never had a drivers license. I was wondering if ASIO had some secret file on me and decided I wasn't fit for jury duty. :D

yeah!!!! I first registered at a Rock the Vote table at a U2 concert. They promptly lost my registration. Get ready for lots and lots of headaches when you change your address or get absentees etc. They do not make it easy to vote.

Stupid question, but why do you guys have to register and I believe you can also declare yourself as a Republican, Democrat or Independent, is that correct? If you don't register, can you still vote if you have id and stuff? Just curious because it all sounds so complicated with polls of registered voters, non-registered, etc.

Anyway, up here in Canada we just check a box on our income tax form which they use at elections Canada. They just send us a card which says we are on the voters list and if not, just bring some ID and done. When I voted for the first time, that was all I did, show up, here is my id, and I voted. Pretty simple.

Oh yeah, do you paid time off work to vote? We get 4 hours to go vote, last election I went and voted , and went home for a 3 hour nap.:wink:

Last edited:
You also don't have to register by party in Alabama. Considering who some of our Democrats are, I would be pissed if I did have to register by party.

beli said:

I have never been called for jury duty and I have never had a drivers license. I was wondering if ASIO had some secret file on me and decided I wasn't fit for jury duty. :D

I got to called for jury duty in Owensboro, KY last year when I haven't lived there since 1998. I was afraid they'd make me go back or they'd arrest me next time I tried to enter the US. :lol:

i've ordered you a hajib

We are getting the ink ready for your little finger.

30finger.l.jpg

Last edited:
Trevster, in Pennsylvania, we have to register (sometimes I think it is a way to better organize the vote fraud) but do not have to register for a particular party. I'm an Independent, which means I belong to no political party. I can vote in the general election, but not in the primary (May for us), which is where you get a whole bunch of people you have never heard of running for offices for which I have never discovered a necessary use. For the Presidential election, the nominee is usually a given long before it gets to Pennsylvania primary. And, nope, we don't get paid time off or any time off to work. I usually vote first thing in the morning before anybody's up to hand out the pamphlets.
Election day is easy enough. It's just the runnup to the election that gets maddening. Do you guys have to put up with all the annoying advertisements we do, for people who spend a lot of money for a position that doesn't pay all that well? Do you get frustrated that Americans as a whole know nothing about Canadian politics when you are absolutely bombarded with ours?

And, U2Democrat, congratulations. For all my cynicism about voting, I do make sure I vote and I'm glad to hear your excitement. It's your world now.

Thanks for the info, BonosSaint. Yeah, we have advertisements too but hardly on the level of your system. They have been getting a little nastier in recent elections but still tame compared to some of the stuff I have seen on US stations. Man, that sucks that you don't get compensated for going to vote, no wonder your turnout is low every 4 years.

Actually, I believe we just recently had legislation that removes private funding for political parties. I am not sure of the details but something along the lines of you get federal funding for campaigning as long as you achieve a certain percentage of the vote. The Green Party in the last election achieved this status by reaching the minimum percentage. I think it supposed to eliminate private influence on the system and put all parties on the same economic level.

Yes, your runnup lasts almost 2 years and I get sick of every show talking about all the polling and primaries. It does seem crazy at times. We had an election in the spring, the Prime Minister gets to choose the time so long as it is within 5 years of their election. It usually comes down roughly a month or so later and we ended up with a minority government meaning at any time any single issue could result in a non-confidence vote and trigger a new election. Everyone up here is being very nice to one another, well almost.

Regarding Americans knowing nothing about Canadian politics, I understand why there is not a lot of Canadian stuff in your media and generally if is political , it is negative. We only have 30 or so million and it is usually pretty quiet up here except for decriminalizing marijuana, same-sex marriage and not supporting the Iraq war. I would like to think that Americans would at least know the name of our Prime Minister but what can you do? I know many Americans are well-informed on Canada while many aren't, I know it ain't everyone. It just seems that way. :wink:

Oh, believe me. It's not just Canada. Americans (on a whole) don't seem to recognize any country exists independently. We only take notice if a country supports us (praises us to the hilt!!!)
or does not (How dare they defy us?). War is the only geography lesson we ever get.

That being said, thank you for Neil Young.

beli said:

Aha! Is that how it works? I wonder if its the same in Australia.

It probably goes off the Electoral Roll still. We had a local election a few days after my 18th and I still remember the pain in the arse it was to get my form in at the post office before I could go vote. The only thing that worried me was the fine. Even though dad hasn't voted in about 10 years and will probably get deported one of these days...:shifty:

Actually my mum got called for Jury Duty once. She doesn't have a licence either so it must go off the Electoral Roll. She got out of it though when her group's turn to be asked questions and she said of one of the accused "Oh his name is familiar, he went to school with my girls!" Naive mum :rolleyes: He was up on a murder charge lol. We knew of him, but only by name.

congrats though u2dem!

Back
Top Bottom