What a horrible thing for a hospital to do! - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-10-2007, 07:19 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 02:36 AM
What a horrible thing for a hospital to do!

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...home-headlines

Quote:
Paraplegic allegedly 'dumped' on skid row
L.A. police say man was dropped off in front of dozens of witnesses by van linked to Hollywood Presbyterian hospital.
By Andrew Blankstein and Richard Winton, Times Staff Writers
February 9, 2007

'I can't think of anything colder than that.'
— LAPD Det. Russ Long, on the alleged skid row dumping
Related Stories
- Suit accuses Kaiser of blackballing
- L.A. files patient `dumping' charges
A paraplegic man wearing a soiled hospital gown and a broken colostomy bag was found crawling in a gutter in skid row in Los Angeles on Thursday after allegedly being dumped in the street by a Hollywood Presbyterian Medical Center van, police said.

The incident, witnessed by more than two dozen people, was described by police as a particularly outrageous case of "homeless dumping" that has plagued the downtown area.

"I can't think of anything colder than that," said LAPD Det. Russ Long, who called the case the most egregious of its kind that he has seen in his career. "There was no mission around, no services. It's the worst area of skid row."

Los Angeles Police Department detectives said they connected the van to Hollywood Presbyterian after witnesses wrote down a phone number on the van and took down its license-plate number.

They are questioning officials from the hospital, which the LAPD had accused in an earlier dumping case that is now under investigation.

Witnesses shouted at the female driver of the van, "Where's his wheelchair, where's his walker?"

Gary Lett, an employee at Gladys Park, near where the incident occurred, said the woman driving the van didn't reply, but proceeded to apply makeup and perfume before driving off.

"She didn't make any attempt to help him," Lett said. "He was in bad shape. He was incoherent."

Kaylor Shemberger, executive vice president for Hollywood Presbyterian Medical Center, said, "Obviously we are very concerned about the information that has been presented to us. We are continuing to investigate the incident. If some of the facts are correct, it is clearly not in line with our policy of handling these types of patients."

When the hospital was previously accused of dumping in 2005, a top executive said the facility takes discharged patients to Los Angeles Mission at their request.

The case comes three months after the L.A. city attorney's office filed the first indictment for homeless dumping against Kaiser Permanente. The charges stem from an incident earlier last year when a 63-year-old patient from Kaiser Permanente's Bellflower medical center was videotaped as she stepped from a taxi in gown and socks and then wandered the streets of skid row.

Los Angeles officials have accused more than a dozen hospitals, as well as some outside law enforcement agencies, of dumping patients and criminals on downtown's troubled skid row. The city attorney's office said it was considering filing charges against several other medical facilities.

Police describe the homeless people who congregate around Gladys Park, in the heart of skid row, as a tough crowd who have seen much and say little.

But there was no shortage of people willing to describe what they saw about 10:45 a.m. Thursday morning, when the white hospital van pulled up several feet from the curb.

"They were lining up to give their story," Long said. "They were collectively appalled. We were as shocked as the homeless folks."

Witnesses told police that the man propped himself up in the door of the van. He then hurled himself from the vehicle, tumbling to the street. He pulled himself along, dragging a bag of his belongings in his clenched teeth.

Police said several people began shouting at the driver, who in addition to applying makeup was more concerned that the seats of the van had been soiled, investigators said.

LAPD Officers Eric de la Cruz and Pernell Taylor said they arrived to find the man being carried out of the street on a chair that had been retrieved from the nearby park offices.

De la Cruz later asked the victim if he had wanted to be dropped off at the location.

"He said he had nowhere else to go, and the hospital staff told him he could no longer stay there," De la Cruz said of the man, who is being treated at County-USC Medical Center.

The LAPD has accused several hospitals of dumping patients on skid row over the last two years, including Kaiser's West Los Angeles hospital, Martin Luther King Jr./Drew Medical Center and Los Angeles Metropolitan Medical Center.

Officials at those hospitals have denied dumping patients, but some said they had taken homeless patients to skid row service providers.

In 2005, at attorney for Hollywood Presbyterian denied that the hospital had dumped patients, but he said skid row service providers offered treatment and care for some patients who had nowhere else to go.

City officials are trying to crack down on crime and blight in the district, which has the largest concentration of homeless people in the western United States. In recent months, a police crackdown has resulted in more than 1,000 arrests and a drop in crime.

Old 02-10-2007, 07:23 PM   #2
She's the One

Local Time: 01:36 AM
They've been doing this for years in LA. It's a huge deal here.

Old 02-11-2007, 10:02 AM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:36 AM
Anyone who has a problem with this better support socialized medicine...otherwise they're hypocrites who can take their indignation & stuff it.

This is appalling, but it's done all over the country, in every city. If patients can't pay they're streeted ASAP. I don't know how people, individually, can do it though...I mean I understand, economically, why it's done, but how does someone toss a person out in the street like a piece of garbage?
Old 02-11-2007, 11:16 AM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 04:36 AM
This is F-ed up.... I have utmost sympathy to a homeless paraplegic guy who obviously needs to support a colostomy...

BUT

Do you force a McDonald to feed a homeless guy? Isn't food a necessity for life too? How can you force a hospital to take this guy..... The proper course is to find some sort of generous person or maybe a government program willing to donate money to put him in the hospital... not force a hospital to take him for free
Old 02-11-2007, 01:25 PM   #5
She's the One

Local Time: 01:36 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by randhail
The proper course is to find some sort of generous person or maybe a government program willing to donate money to put him in the hospital... not force a hospital to take him for free
These two things are the same. The government program would be funded by the "donations" of the wealthy, don't you know. Or maybe we should stop spending fucking billions a day on a pointless war and actually take care of the people in our own country?

Or, as you have darkly hinted, what else is to be done with the sick and indigent?
Old 02-11-2007, 05:49 PM   #6
Jesus Online

Local Time: 08:36 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by martha

These two things are the same. The government program would be funded by the "donations" of the wealthy, don't you know. Or maybe we should stop spending fucking billions a day on a pointless war and actually take care of the people in our own country?

Or, as you have darkly hinted, what else is to be done with the sick and indigent?
And yet the liberal view is still wrong.
Old 02-11-2007, 06:01 PM   #7
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim

nm, wrong topic.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:17 AM   #8
Refugee

Local Time: 08:06 PM
I am SO thankful I live in Australia!!!!!!!
Old 02-12-2007, 05:04 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I think the accurate title of this thread should be, "what a horrible thing for a superpower to do." Hospitals are only following the laws (or lack of laws) that regulate them.

Vote for Hillary in 2008 if you want to see true universal health care in the U.S. ...
Old 02-12-2007, 07:38 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:36 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LyricalDrug
I think the accurate title of this thread should be, "what a horrible thing for a superpower to do." Hospitals are only following the laws (or lack of laws) that regulate them.

Vote for Hillary in 2008 if you want to see true universal health care in the U.S. ...
I agree. Will do. I've supported universal health coverage through eight elections. A health care system that dumps paraplegics in homeless shelters is shameful.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:59 PM   #11
Blue Crack Distributor

Universal healthcare - one can only hope. I feel it won't be a reality in my lifetime, I don't know why. Too big an "issue" to actually have anyone do something about. Big $$ wants to keep their big $$. And both parties will argue and vote against reform til the cows come home. Why would they want to help the people

Back in the early 80s, before I was dating my husband, we both worked a the same store. He got sick. He went to the hospital (we lived in L.A. at the time), and they ran some tests. The tests should have indicated appendicitis. I believe the white cell count (or whichever one it is) was very high. They sent him home and told him to keep an eye on it. He didn't have insurance. Later that night he was feeling sicker, and his cousin took him back in to the ER, I think Cedars Sinai this time. They operated that night or early the next morning to remove his appendix. At the time, I believe the bill was about $5000. He had to put it on his creditcard, cuz he didn't have the money. But there was nothing he could do. I don't think he even filed a complaint with the first hospital. I'm sure that same scenario today, dollarwise, would be

What happened to the Hippocratic Oath?

Hippocratic Oath—Modern Version

I swear to fulfill, to the best of my ability and judgment, this covenant:

I will respect the hard-won scientific gains of those physicians in whose steps I walk, and gladly share such knowledge as is mine with those who are to follow.

I will apply, for the benefit of the sick, all measures [that] are required, avoiding those twin traps of overtreatment and therapeutic nihilism.

I will remember that there is art to medicine as well as science, and that warmth, sympathy, and understanding may outweigh the surgeon's knife or the chemist's drug.

I will not be ashamed to say "I know not," nor will I fail to call in my colleagues when the skills of another are needed for a patient's recovery.

I will respect the privacy of my patients, for their problems are not disclosed to me that the world may know. Most especially must I tread with care in matters of life and death. If it is given me to save a life, all thanks. But it may also be within my power to take a life; this awesome responsibility must be faced with great humbleness and awareness of my own frailty. Above all, I must not play at God.

I will remember that I do not treat a fever chart, a cancerous growth, but a sick human being, whose illness may affect the person's family and economic stability. My responsibility includes these related problems, if I am to care adequately for the sick.

I will prevent disease whenever I can, for prevention is preferable to cure.

I will remember that I remain a member of society, with special obligations to all my fellow human beings, those sound of mind and body as well as the infirm.

If I do not violate this oath, may I enjoy life and art, respected while I live and remembered with affection thereafter. May I always act so as to preserve the finest traditions of my calling and may I long experience the joy of healing those who seek my help.

Written in 1964 by Louis Lasagna, Academic Dean of the School of Medicine at Tufts University, and used in many medical schools today.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:16 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie

If you want to cut healthcare costs by at least 20%, then figure out how to stop defensive medicine. There is way too much testing, consulting, imaging etc going on that it is virtually impossible to maintain that practice and expect cheaper healthcare costs. Get people to actually take care of themselves and practicing preventative medicine.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:40 PM   #13
Blue Crack Distributor

I had some lab work done recently (actually had a lot done since November), and one of the bills from the lab for that set of tests was about $1100. With my insurance, I had to "only" pay about $280 of it. I've had more bloodwork done, and some other labs, but have yet to receive those bills yet. Not to mention the doctor's ones, the biopsy one, the cortisone shot one,... And I need a procedure done next month. My friend already told me I should pay the anesthesiologist beforehand, as he charges less for cash up front. If it's billed to insurance, most isn't covered and then I'm stuck with the balance. Literally. But it's not like it's a procedure you want to be awake for, so I have an issue with the insurer if my friend is correct.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:30 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Ironically, the hospitals that are doing the patient "dumping" are, in many ways, more generous than the big mainstream hospitals that cater to the middle class. A lot of those hospitals won't even let patients in the door unless they provide proof of insurance. That way, they avoid the bad press that comes with these sensationalized press stories about "patient dumping."

Instead, it's the more socially-conscious health care providers that end up having their names dragged through the mud, when they are forced to evict patients who have no coverage who have refused to leave the hospital or make other arrangements.

I'm not apologizing for anyone, and I think this is a serious problem that needs addressing. But these articles tend to divert attention from the root cause, which is the lack of a comprehensive national health care system that protects the poor.
Old 02-13-2007, 03:38 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

How would Universal Health Care work in a nation were the pharmysutical companies run everything?