WH knew NO would flood *before* Katrina hit - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-24-2006, 10:39 PM   #16
Refugee

Local Time: 05:10 AM

Tell it to the insurance carriers here in Florida.....premium jumps of up to 100%!! And that does not even include the flood insurance which is recommended for all.
Oh happy day........................

Old 01-25-2006, 12:20 AM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:10 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox

That was my recollection....

They downgraded it...and all over the news the next morning were reports that New Orleans had weathered the brunt of it fine.
Unfortunately "the news" in general seems to lack even rudimentary knowledge of how a hurricane works.

Not to mention, arguing (from either side) that the levees should have withstood this or that Category is almost arbitrary considering....

Quote:
the levees that protect New Orleans was built before the creation of the Saffir-Simpson scale of classifying hurricanes, so different parts of the system protect against varying levels of wind speed, storm surge and barometric pressure.
Katrina was a Category 3 or 4 at landfall (I keep finding different reports from different sources), but these Categories have wide ranges for storm surge, wind speeds, ground speed, etc. Not to mention that once the hurricane passes, there's the pressure system left trailing behind that will dump rain for days. If the storm surge doesn't do severe damage at landfall, the flooding will inevitably be destructive in a place like NO.

I still don't understand why anyone though they had a fighting chance. I don't understand the evacuation procedures, WAY too little, too late, and I don't understand why people wanted to stay, or why people were allowed to stay.

Old 01-25-2006, 11:11 AM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:10 PM
White House Declines to Provide Storm Papers
By ERIC LIPTON
Published: January 25, 2006

WASHINGTON, Jan. 24 - The Bush administration, citing the confidentiality of executive branch communications, said Tuesday that it did not plan to turn over certain documents about Hurricane Katrina or make senior White House officials available for sworn testimony before two Congressional committees investigating the storm response.

The White House this week also formally notified Representative Richard H. Baker, Republican of Louisiana, that it would not support his legislation creating a federally financed reconstruction program for the state that would bail out homeowners and mortgage lenders. Many Louisiana officials consider the bill crucial to recovery, but administration officials said the state would have to use community development money appropriated by Congress.

The White House's stance on storm-related documents, along with slow or incomplete responses by other agencies, threatens to undermine efforts to identify what went wrong, Democrats on the committees said Tuesday.

"There has been a near total lack of cooperation that has made it impossible, in my opinion, for us to do the thorough investigation that we have a responsibility to do," Senator Joseph I. Lieberman, Democrat of Connecticut, said at Tuesday's hearing of the Senate committee investigating the response. His spokeswoman said he would ask for a subpoena for documents and testimony if the White House did not comply.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/25/po...rtner=homepage
Old 01-25-2006, 01:11 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Does anyone remember all the news reports the day after the hurricane (Monday), when the news reporters were all talking about how great it was that N.O. had been largely spared? Brian Williams etc walking around dry areas of N.O., saying the storm was over and the rebuilding could begin...

The levees didn't start breaking in earnest until Monday night -- long after the storm had passed.

The levee problem has been bouncing around in policy for the past twenty years. I'm not sure what anyone could do two hours before the storm hit...esp since N.O. had been largely deserted and Nagin refused to deploy the waiting buses.
Old 02-11-2006, 01:50 PM   #20
The Fly

Re: reply

Quote:
Originally posted by wizard2c
Tell it to the insurance carriers here in Florida.....premium jumps of up to 100%!! And that does not even include the flood insurance which is recommended for all.
Oh happy day........................
I hear you. Palm Beach County taxes have doubled as well. I am seeing a lot of places up for sale because some can simply not afford it anymore. They are saying that it is the Atlantic's turn this year. My insurance company stil hasn'f fixed my roof damage from Wilma.
Old 02-11-2006, 01:53 PM   #21
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by nathan1977
Does anyone remember all the news reports the day after the hurricane (Monday), when the news reporters were all talking about how great it was that N.O. had been largely spared? Brian Williams etc walking around dry areas of N.O., saying the storm was over and the rebuilding could begin...

The levees didn't start breaking in earnest until Monday night -- long after the storm had passed.

The levee problem has been bouncing around in policy for the past twenty years. I'm not sure what anyone could do two hours before the storm hit...esp since N.O. had been largely deserted and Nagin refused to deploy the waiting buses.
I remember but I also recall them strongly urging people to evacuate.

The weather people are useless. They said Wilma was going to be a strong 1 maybe even a tropical storm by the time it got to us. It hit us as a strong 3.
Old 02-11-2006, 01:58 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

The hell of it is that the weather is often unpredictable and hurricans are unpredictable in the path they are taking.
Old 02-11-2006, 02:25 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:10 PM
But we're the United States?!?!? How can the weather change on us?
Old 02-19-2006, 10:47 PM   #24
The Fly

Local Time: 12:10 AM
(AP) New Orleans, LA-

Recent reports indicate that violent crime has decreased 60% since the inception of Hurricane Katrina into the heart of New Orleans.

This gives a great perspective into this flooded paradise. Although I'm positive that the voiolent crime in New Orleans could have been cut by a grandiose 80% if they locked up the Super Dome, locked up Mayor Nagin, and refused a powdered sugar delivery truck entrance to Cafe Du Monde.

My god, these dutch speed skaters are ri-god-damn-cock-u-lous.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:11 PM   #25
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by ThatU2
(AP) New Orleans, LA-

Recent reports indicate that violent crime has decreased 60% since the inception of Hurricane Katrina into the heart of New Orleans.
Amazingly enough, the crime rate in Houston, TX, where a large part of the evacuees were sent, is up by that same margin. Go figger.

I've not been around here for a bit, so maybe this has already been addressed. If so, pardon my ignorance (heck, if not, pardon my ignorance then, too!). Why should the White House be blamed at all for any of this? Bush declared NO a federal disaster area two days before the hurricane hit. Does that not give the officials in La. a certain amount of aid at their beck and call right then? (If not, what is the purpose of declaring anything a fed disaster area anyway?). Its not like they were hit by a tornado that can pop up right out of the blue...it was a hurricane that you see coming for weeks! Add to that that they have been predicting such an occurance in NO for at least 10 years now. People didn't leave because they "couldn't afford to", yet they could afford to stay and die? That makes no sense... I guess stupid things ometimes happen to stupid people...