We've identified this strain of HIV that is difficult or impossible to treat - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2005, 12:25 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:13 AM
In either case it's extremely spooky. I am terrified of AIDS/HIV, and honestly, if this turns out to be "a newer, more agressive strain," I don't know what to do. I just feel so small.

Old 05-31-2005, 05:32 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:13 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by God Part III
In either case it's extremely spooky. I am terrified of AIDS/HIV, and honestly, if this turns out to be "a newer, more agressive strain," I don't know what to do. I just feel so small.
I do not mean to trivialize your fears, for HIV/AIDS is a major concern around the world. It's part of the very foundation of DATA. However, it just seems to me that your statement of being "terrified" and how you "don't know what to do" are a bit irrational.

If you wish to fear anything, fear the far more realistic scenario of a flu pandemic or epidemic. Not only are we "overdue" for such an event, but more and more cases of avian flu victims are being discovered each year. As you may know, the current flu vaccine(that is given in annual flu shots) is cultivated by injecting dominant flu strains into chicken eggs. The viruses grow within the live eggs. The antigen is created by killing the viruses. The weakness here is that if an avian flu case becomes dominant, not only do we not have an immunity for it, but we cannot create one, as an avian flu virus cannot be created in chicken eggs (for obvious reasons).

I would also fear the mass destruction of the rain forests of the world. Despite these battles being fought since the 80's, greedy loggers and farmers destroy these forests to create grazing grounds. The destruction of rain forests hurts in so many ways, it's almost incomprehensible. Not only is there the possibility that the destruction of these forests is increasing the greenhouse effect on earth, but they can never be regrown. Furthermore, the destruction of these forests is releasing new pathogens into the general public. These diseases remained "hidden" away for years - but man's entry into the forests, and subsequent destruction of those forests - are releasing these diseases. Even worse, we are also possibly destroying the cure for those diseases. For every disease, nature has created a cure - a species of some sort (insect, plant, mammal, etc.) that is immune to the disease. But the rampant destruction of these forests is destroying those species. We might have found a cure - but no more. In fact, we might have found cures or treatments for current ailments, but again, the species are lost forever.

So unless you engage in unsafe sexual practices or are a needle user, I would say your fear of HIV/AIDS is a bit unfounded. Be more worried about what the death toll of AIDS is doing to Third World nations. Be more worried about the destruction of the earth. And be very worried that a new strain of flu might come along and wipe out tens of millions of people in a matter of months. Hence, it is very important to support DATA, the prevention of the rain forest destruction and scientific research.

Old 05-31-2005, 07:21 AM   #18
The Fly

Local Time: 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by doctorwho

If you wish to fear anything, fear the far more realistic scenario of a flu pandemic or epidemic. Not only are we "overdue" for such an event, but more and more cases of avian flu victims are being discovered each year. As you may know, the current flu vaccine(that is given in annual flu shots) is cultivated by injecting dominant flu strains into chicken eggs. The viruses grow within the live eggs. The antigen is created by killing the viruses. The weakness here is that if an avian flu case becomes dominant, not only do we not have an immunity for it, but we cannot create one, as an avian flu virus cannot be created in chicken eggs (for obvious reasons).

I would also fear the mass destruction of the rain forests of the world....Not only is there the possibility that the destruction of these forests is increasing the greenhouse effect on earth, but they can never be regrown. Furthermore, the destruction of these forests is releasing new pathogens into the general public. These diseases remained "hidden" away for years - but man's entry into the forests, and subsequent destruction of those forests - are releasing these diseases. Even worse, we are also possibly destroying the cure for those diseases. For every disease, nature has created a cure - a species of some sort (insect, plant, mammal, etc.) that is immune to the disease. But the rampant destruction of these forests is destroying those species. We might have found a cure - but no more. In fact, we might have found cures or treatments for current ailments, but again, the species are lost forever.

Rather disturbing information to read with my morning coffee.

Old 05-31-2005, 10:57 AM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:13 AM
Actually, probably our biggest threat with global warming is ice cap / permafrost melting for two reasons:

1) Permafrost contains lots of trapped carbon dioxide. Melted permafrost, as such, releases that once-trapped carbon dioxide and releases it into the atmosphere causing further global warming.

2) If the oceanic temperatures rise about 5C more, we risk melting deep-ocean methane clathrate, which would probably cause another mass extinction. One liter of methane clathrate contains about 168 liters of methane gas, and it is theorized that mass releases of this gas caused one, maybe two prior mass extinctions hundreds of millions of years ago.

But hey...don't want to stop global warming. It might hurt corporate profits!

Melon