Western Australian Referendum and Election 26th Feb 2005

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beli

Blue Crack Addict
What are the pros and cons of the extended shopping hours referendum question? (I'm most likely to vote in favour of the extended hours)

Question 1

Do you believe that the Western Australian community would benefit if trading hours in the Perth Metropolitan Area were extended to allow general retail shops to trade until 9 pm Monday to Friday?

Question 2

Do you believe that the Western Australian community would benefit if trading hours in the Perth Metropolitan Area were extended to allow general retail shops to trade for 6 hours on Sunday?

Currently the shops are open (in non tourist areas.)
9am to 5:30pm Mon, Tues, Wed, Fri.
9am to 9pm Thurs
9:00am to 5:00pm Sat

-------
So the electoral boundaries have moved again and now I'm in yet another electorate. I prefer to vote Democrat but my selection is:

Michael Clancy (Independent)
Fred Hay (Family First)
Leon van der Linde (Greens)
Dean Solly (Liberal)
Helen Sawyer (Christian Democratic Party ie Fred Niles party)
Tony O'Gorman (Labor or Independent ex Labor, conflicting information)

I'm bored. Please tell me why I should vote for your preferred party.

Anyone, anyone? You don't need to be Australian to answer this, especially the Sunday trading issue.

Last edited:
Go sunday trading! May the wheels of capitalism remain greased with cheap labour and rolling all the time :wink:

Is that what happened in Victoria?

I quite fancy the idea of extended trading. I was thinking it would make it easier if one parent worked during the week and the other one worked evenings and weekends. That way one parent could be with the children most of the time rather than the current situation where in many families both parents work Monday to Friday, and the children are at daycare at the cost of $200+ per child.

If some office workers had the option to switch to retail (skills permitting) then the reduction in wages may be offset by the reduction in childcare costs and a reduction in household stress.

Thats my current thoughts anyway.

Wow, they don't have Sunday trading over there in WA?

I've no problem with shops determining their own hours.

We have Sunday trading in the tourist spots ie
Perth - the (dead) heart of
Fremantle
Mandurah
Broome

but not in the suburbs, or towns. We also don't have many delis as the large shopping centres have killed them.

To obtain a loaf of bread on a Sunday the only option is to travel to one of those Petrol Station thingies that has a shop attached. Video stores often sell milk as well, but not bread or newspapers, nappies, dummies, etc.

We have sunday trading, it is really quite great to be able to have that day on the weekend to go out and get stuff.

We have 24 hour Coles here. Which is handy when you want to do your shopping at 3am on a Tuesday morning.
:slant:

Fucking Sydney is a shithole though. No one outside this grimey slimey city is allowed to agree with this though. Bow to Sydney's superiority. Or something. My point is though, you dont want to become like this. There is much to be said for sticking to the old ways. I hate how fast everything has to be. How 24 hours and neon, society has been pushed into.

PS Family First Party? Are you joking?
:lmao:

Family First and Niles party ~ what kind of kooky electorate is this, one good thing about Melbourne is that we keep our religious nuts down and if they get too loud we fob them off ~ e.g. George Pell.

A_Wanderer said:
Family First and Niles party ~ what kind of kooky electorate is this,

I don't know. My house has been moved into a different electorate :scream:

I really don't know why we have both Family First and Niles party. Hopefully it will divide the religious nutjobs votes.

I think I'm in a Liberal electorate now. I really wish there was a Democrat to vote for, even if the Liberals still win, I would like to actually vote for the party I prefer.

Angela Harlem said:

Fucking Sydney is a shithole though. No one outside this grimey slimey city is allowed to agree with this though.

I will. :D

If I ever move East I will move to Melbourne. I love the restaurants and the ethnic thingies :up:

Melbourne's the nicest Australian city I've been to. I hate it here on the Gold Coast ... I'm hoping Brisbane's an improvement next year.

Angela Harlem said:

We have ethnics too!! :uhoh:

Melbourne is too cold. Even ducks hate it.
:grumpy:

There's no such thing as 'too cold', only too warm ... like the Gold Coast in summer.

Axver said:

There's no such thing as 'too cold', only too warm ... like the Gold Coast in summer.

And Western Australia. I always sleep so soundly in Melbourne. Snuggled up under the covers. :drool:

Here I toss and turn its so hot. I'm exhausted in the morning before I've even done anything.

Another reason for Sunday trading. I was just at the bouncy castle place. My child had an accident (the water was turned off in the building, long story) and I had to return home for some clean clothes. The bouncy castle place is right near a major shopping centre and I could have ducked in and bought something for her to wear.

Last edited:
I'm in WA and I'll vote Liberal like I always do. I work in retail and when we have late night shopping at Christmas the shops are dead. If people don't shop then when there's extra hours they won't shop any other time of the year.
On a Sunday in the city most of the shoppers are families walking aimesly around or teenagers making a big mess of the store or trying to steal.
I will be voting NO and NO.

I've never gone to the Christmas late night shopping as I figured it would be horrendously busy, especially with two small children. I will have to make a note to go next year.

Aussie, theres a few shops near where I live that have posters displayed warning people not to vote for extended trading as the shops wont be able to keep their cheap prices down (or something to that effective). Why would prices increase?

I work at a University, and many Unis are currently implementing more and more teaching and other activities in the evenings as its cost effective. The infrastructures are already in place. The same is true for retail. Why is it cost effective for Unis but not so for retail?

Hey Beli:

My choices are:

Jim McGinty (Labour)
Adele Carles (Coastal Independent)
Rita Scolaro (Liberal)
Michelle Shave (Christian Democratic Party) - this one looks scary, has a very 50's campaign blurb.
I think we have a Fred Nile party candidate as well and probably a Green but I haven't really seen anything from them.

I have no idea which way to vote for the extended trading hours. What we have in Freo is fine, though I very rarely shop on a Sunday if I can help it. Though only place I would like to see extended trading is the Post Office! Man, that would make my life easier.

Tania, you don't have a Democrat either. I wonder whats happened. lol.

The CDP do indeed look scary, and Fred is always scary.

Extended trading wouldn't be such an issue in Freo as you still have old fashioned delis. We don't. Hes dead here at night.

I agree about the Post Office. I wonder if Post Offices at major shopping centres will extend their hours. It would be helpful if they did.

We now have a Dewsons that is open 7 days a week from 8am to 11pm and for some reason they are pushing for the No vote! I know it has something to do with the number of staff on etc and call me apathetic on this one, but I would rather they put their energies into stopping huge coastal developments, you know right on the beach, a la Observation City. Really pisses me off! Why do people have to live in the water? Why can't they have the forsight to have parks along the coast line so EVERYONE can share the beach? :mad: Haven't the developers learnt about erosion etc, etc...

(Rant over - Goes back to stuffing face with chocolate)

And it unfortunately continues with the "wonderful" canal development south of Mandurah, the "beautification" of the coast at Coogee and the attempt to build homes on the old marshalling yards at Leighton Beach, etc, etc, etc.....

(Ranting again .... Shit, I finished all the chocolate!!!!!!)

There is plenty of coast out there, you just have to get around a bit to enjoy it :D. Thats what I hate about Melbourne, you have to travel around for 2 hours just to get a decent beach.

Last edited:
The one that annoys me, and its not for environment reasons is the Old Swan Brewery site. The road needs to be sunk, moved, blown up, and the area designated for use by pedestrians, bikes, old fashioned thingies like people, not friggin cars. Wow, I am whining. I have no faith in this election.

Last edited:
A_Wanderer said:
There is plenty of coast out there, you just have to get around a bit to enjoy it :D.

:lol: Yes, we have more coast than anyone. If my career didn't keep me stuck here I would move out and enjoy it.

Thats a cop out really isn't it. I should find a way to blow this popsicle joint.

That makes two of us. Colin Barnett :madspit: Geoff Gallop:madspit:

One is going to build a bloody great pipe line from one end of the country to the other (just because ...... - sure, this sounds like a reasoned argument. My three year old is going to run at the next election at this rate. :censored: drop kick!) and the other can't seem to make up his mind about the friggin Roe Highway and Eastern Bypass ( :censored: idiot!)

:shrug: Why do we bother voting? One comes in changes rules of previous government, gets booted, other one comes in changes rules of previous government :banghead: :blahblah: :blahblah:

A_Wanderer said:
There is plenty of coast out there, you just have to get around a bit to enjoy it :D. Thats what I hate about Melbourne, you have to travel around for 2 hours just to get a decent beach.

Exactly - 2 friggin hours to get to the beach! By the time you get there you are so hot and then by the time you get home you need to turn around and go back!

This makes me so mad!

Think I will have to go to the beach and cool down :laugh:

Beli, you need to start working from home, especially when your littlies go to school. Then you can skive off to the beach and call it "meeting a client":wink:

Tania said:

Beli, you need to start working from home, especially when your littlies go to school. Then you can skive off to the beach and call it "meeting a client":wink:

Yep. I need to change career, and find something I can do from home. Thats high on my list of things to discover this year.

How To Have A Friendly FYM Thread, Step #1 of 1: Make it about an Australian issue and ensure only Australians (or citizens of Australia) post.

:wink:

Axver said:
How To Have A Friendly FYM Thread, Step #1 of 1: Make it about an Australian issue and ensure only Australians (or citizens of Australia) post.

:wink:

:laugh:

Yep, Australian's get so worked up about stuff!

Back
Top Bottom