Westboro Baptist Church

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ouizy

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I almost do not know what to say.

I have read and seen a couple of stories about this group and even thinking about them is making my stomach upset.

These are the animals that are protesting the funerals of US soldiers in a twisted theory that they died because of the United States' tolerance of homosexuals.

I am not a homosexual and I do not agree with this war, but for ANYONE to dare protest at a funeral, regardless of who it is is absolutely disgraceful.

As a funeral could be one of the saddest days for someone and possibly the last time they see a loved one before they are laid to rest it would be about the last place another human being should be protesting.

And for these people to be calling themselves a church? I simply do not understand it. How far removed is the gay rights movement from a soldier dying in a 'war' that he or she may not have ever wanted to be part of.

I cannot fathom these people who call themselves god-lovers. They actually hold signs at soldiers funerals thanking god for the explosive devices that may have killed these soldiers.

There is a group of veterans called the Patriot Guard that also attend the funerals to 'keep watch' over the creeps who protest them. For these guys I feel proud. Going to a stranger's funeral to keep watch over evil-doers in the name of nothing but the family.

I dunno - maybe there was another thread about this, but it has recently come to my attention again, and I thought about posting. I really would be curious to see if there was anyone here who could back up their cause, or at least explain it with some clarity.

:|

Have you ever heard some of them or their children speak and attempt to articulate their argument?

Solid proof that:

Too little education + too much religion = DISASTER

ouizy said:

I dunno - maybe there was another thread about this, but it has recently come to my attention again, and I thought about posting. I really would be curious to see if there was anyone here who could back up their cause, or at least explain it with some clarity.

:|

As a Christian, I have no explanation. In fact, I think I'm going to barf.

What they're saying is beyond religion, IMO. They're just hateful, hateful people.

Their "religion" is hate and ignorance, I would hope no one could come up with anything to back up their cause-other than freedom of speech which unfortunately they have. The bill was just passed which stops them from showing up at military funerals.

Is Fred Phelps married? He and Ann Coulter would make a great couple :heart:

MrsSpringsteen said:
Their "religion" is hate and ignorance

Hate the sin and not the sinner
is still teaching hate.

Unless you believe the same as me you will burn in hell.

Is it just a matter of degree?
or vantage point?

How much intolerance or hatred towards others is right?

Yes deep I get it, you make your point over and over and over. I'm a horrible person too and a hypocrite because I'm a Christian, pity because I would never make any sort of judgment like that about you or anyone here because of affiliations or beliefs. But if it makes you feel better or self-righteous to make comments like that, go right ahead.

MrsSpringsteen said:
Yes deep I get it, you make your point over and over and over. I'm a horrible person too and a hypocrite because I'm a Christian, pity because I would never make any sort of judgment like that about you or anyone here because of affiliations or beliefs. But if it makes you feel better or self-righteous to make comments like that, go right ahead.

this was not direct at you specifically,
i am sorry that you took it that way.

i should have posted it without your quote

i do not recall you as being one that says
"hate the sin, not the sinner"

again sorry, Mrs. S

many people that call themselves Christians
do not look down on others because they are "different from them"

deep said:
Hate the sin and not the sinner
is still teaching hate.

Unless you believe the same as me you will burn in hell.

Is it just a matter of degree?
or vantage point?

How much intolerance or hatred towards others is right?

That's just bs start to finish

I would work to overcome or right, injustice, poverty and intolerance.

Hating any of those is just lazy and serves no purpose.

If people want to say they hate rapists,
I do not care.

Do you hate obesity,
but not the obese?

ouizy said:
There is a group of veterans called the Patriot Guard that also attend the funerals to 'keep watch' over the creeps who protest them. For these guys I feel proud. Going to a stranger's funeral to keep watch over evil-doers in the name of nothing but the family.

The Patriot Guard rock. :up: We need more people like them in the world, willing to stand against what is wrong.

nathan1977 said:
Do you hate injustice, deep?
Do you hate poverty?
Do you hate rape?
Do you hate intolerance?

deep has a good point.

terrible as they may be, i don't "hate" any of these things -- that's an ultra-simplistic response to complex problems.

i might "hate" the effects of such things on individuals, but the thing itself simply is, and it must be dealt with.

beyond serving as a motivator to correct an injustice, hate seems a useless emotion and a useless adjective (much like evil is a useless adjective).

Re: Re: Westboro Baptist Church

Sue DeNym said:

The Patriot Guard rock. :up: We need more people like them in the world, willing to stand against what is wrong.

No, what we needed was more people to stand up against Phelps and his messed-up family BEFORE he started protesting military funerals. He has been protesting at the funerals of gay people for YEARS and it wasn't until now--when our counrty thinks that slapping a magnet on a car makes someone patriotic--that anyone said "Hey, wait a damn minute!"

And the law that's been passed--or that the powers-that-be are trying to pass--bans protests at military funerals but not at ALL funerals.

(this is not a diatribe against you Sue, just against Phelps and the idea that suddenly this is a tragedy when it's been going on for years)

I'm a reporter at a paper in Kansas and I've unfortunately come across this guy before. I did a story on how he and his clan picketed a play being done by our community theater that was about Matthew Shepherd. They had 7-year-old kids out there holding signs that read "God Hates Fags" with two stick figures having anal sex.

Lovely.

Then he protests a lot of college graduations too. They picketed my brother-in-law's graduation at the University of Kansas School of Law. They had signs that said "Fag Law." My brother-in-law went up next to one of the guys in his cap and gown, put his arm around him and had his picture taken. It was hilarious.
Then some other guy started yelling "This is what happens when idiot family members mate!!" Again, hilarious.

I've seriously thought about getting some Christians together -- those who actually try to reflect Christ's love -- to picket his picketing. We'd have signs that say "God is Love," and "Do not Judge," and stuff like that, with corresponding Bible verses too.

Any thoughts?

Cool. I seriously think it'd be fun. I'd LOVE to debate with this guy. They're all a family of lawyers too (somehow) so it'd be fun.

coemgen said:

I've seriously thought about getting some Christians together -- those who actually try to reflect Christ's love -- to picket his picketing. We'd have signs that say "God is Love," and "Do not Judge," and stuff like that, with corresponding Bible verses too.

Any thoughts?

Yeah, mine would say "Let ye who is without sin cast the first stone....."

ouizy said:

Back up their cause? No.

As with many messages, there is a kernel of validity to what they might want to be saying buried down somewhere. Frankly, it is so poorly communicated and done with intentional shock value that the kernel is completely lost.

Back
Top Bottom