Westboro Baptist Church - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2006, 02:05 PM   #61
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:31 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by WildHoneyAlways

I don't mean to be dense but what answer is that?

What about people who practice Hinduism? They haven't "accepted the invitation" because they've R.S. V. P. ed with someone else, if you will.
Think of it this way - a doctor has offered you a vaccine. If you want to find a cure some other way, that is up to you.

Old 06-09-2006, 02:12 PM   #62
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:31 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Just accept the invitation.

accept rejection?

the hubris.

Old 06-09-2006, 02:55 PM   #63
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:

Think of it this way - a doctor has offered you a vaccine. If you want to find a cure some other way, that is up to you.

some studies show a link between vaccines and autism - so it doesn't work for everyone and you may be better off without it.
Old 06-09-2006, 03:12 PM   #64
Acrobat

Local Time: 11:31 AM
Quote:

When someone has something good to share, I think it is natural that they would want to share them. I can only make an offer - the rest is up to you and God.
For too many Christians, it isn't sharing but FORCING. Sharing is sharing. It's saying "Hey, this is what I believe. I think it's cool. Do with it what you will." End of conversation. NOT "you're going to hell," "I feel so sorry for you," "You poor lost soul," etc.

As as for your lawsuit crack: If you are referring to the Pledge of Allegiance issue or putting the 10 Commandments on public space, it's an issue of FORCING someone. If a kid wants to silently prayer or whatnot in school, fine by me. But to force the school system to keep "god" in the pledge indicates a forcing of religion on the non-religious and those with other faiths (and the argument that it's "god" in the all-encompassing sense is malarkey--the US recognizes the Christian god over all others...).
Old 06-09-2006, 03:15 PM   #65
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

I have considered it.

There is no proof he ever said it, or said it as you quoted it or even meant it as people interpret it. None.

What was said 2000 years ago, what was recorded, and how it was recorded is an open ended question for many of us.

Some of you accept the Bible as the final authority and accept Scripture as it is. Some of us do not and that is a large gap, and there is no way to say who here is correct.

Which is why I think, live a good life, let God sort it out when we depart. Bottom line for me.
You raise some good points. But consider this — the Gospels, which are the account of Christ's life and teachings were written or recorded in a relatively short time following his death and resurrection. The latest was about 70 A.D. (if I'm not mistaken) and I think the earliest was about 40 or 50 A.D.

I know, they seem like they were recoreded a long time after his death. But consider this too —*similar recordings of other historical figures are considered accurate or historically correct despite being written 100 or more years following their death. We're talking entire generations later. Then you have the gospels, which were written during the same generation as when Christ walked the earth. Something important was going on here. Plus, with the thrust of Christianity following his resurrection and keeping in mind the fact that his followers were dying for their faith, I think there would be heavy objection if something was recorded that he didn't say.

As far as living a good life and letting God just sort it out — I encourage you to put more thought into that.

First of all, what's your standard of "good." If all we all have to do is live up to our own standards of good to get into heaven, then I'd expect to be there with al-Zaqarwi. Again, we're dealing with a God of justice. If justice is the goal, then there has to be something to measure up to. We get this in Christ's life. By living a sinless life, which he was able to do so being both God and man, he set the standard.
To say we can just be good is missing the mark. The standard is set very high here. Any attempt on our part to reach this would be in vain. That's why through his death in our place and resurrection, we can give our lives to him and, in doing so, we experience righteousness with God, or "being right with God," or, in this case, "good."
Old 06-09-2006, 03:22 PM   #66
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 09:31 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by coemgen

You raise some good points. But consider this — the Gospels, which are the account of Christ's life and teachings were written or recorded in a relatively short time following his death and resurrection. The latest was about 70 A.D. (if I'm not mistaken) and I think the earliest was about 40 or 50 A.D.

I know, they seem like they were recoreded a long time after his death. But consider this too — similar recordings of other historical figures are considered accurate or historically correct despite being written 100 or more years following their death. We're talking entire generations later. Then you have the gospels, which were written during the same generation as when Christ walked the earth. Something important was going on here. Plus, with the thrust of Christianity following his resurrection and keeping in mind the fact that his followers were dying for their faith, I think there would be heavy objection if something was recorded that he didn't say.
Speaking as a historian, the Gospels, as they exist today, are not great primary sources.
Old 06-09-2006, 03:28 PM   #67
Blue Crack Supplier

i think God loves Jews, Christians, Hindus, Muslims, and pretty much anyone who chooses to love him first.

the rest is all window dressing designed by humans to glorify themselves first.

and WHA makes a good point.
Old 06-09-2006, 03:49 PM   #68
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

yup.

if said God is going to keep certain people "out" -- as if it's a treehouse with a "no girls allowed" sign -- then i'm not so certain i want "in."
I see where you're coming from Irvine, but this isn't how it works. If it were the case, I'd agree with you.

The truth is God wants us to spend eternity with him. that's why Christ had to die. So he's died for us. Then he commands Christians to spread this news. He's reached out to us. It's up to us to reach back.

As far as keep us out of heaven, he doesn't do that. It's up to us. All we have to do is make a decision. He could force us to come to heaven, but that wouldn't be a God of love. Instead he gives us the choice of how we want to live, but he reaches out to us in many ways.
Old 06-09-2006, 03:58 PM   #69
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Since you like analogies:

The same doctor sees two patients. They are both diagnosed with the exact same Streptococcus infection. One is given penicillin. The other, having had an adverse reaction to the penicilin in the past, is given gentamycin. They are both cured exactly the same way in the end.
Old 06-09-2006, 04:02 PM   #70
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

You raise some good points. But consider this — the Gospels, which are the account of Christ's life and teachings were written or recorded in a relatively short time following his death and resurrection.
So?

Do you mean to tell me that you remember verbatim what your boss said to you this morning? And so people would remember something verbatim 5 decades after? And especially given the fact they had motivations to write the gospel in a certain way and shed Jesus in a certain light.

Until the Council of Nicaea, the early Church did not even agree on the exact status of Jesus. The Arians certainly had different views than you hold today.

I don't believe the gospels are good historical documents nor do I believe they were written in an objective way.

ETA:

Quote:
Again, we're dealing with a God of justice. If justice is the goal, then there has to be something to measure up to. We get this in Christ's life.
And you don't get it in the Buddha's life?
Old 06-09-2006, 04:06 PM   #71
Refugee

Local Time: 03:31 PM
Quote:
Then he commands Christians to spread this news.
And that's fine, spreading news is one thing, commanding and trying to control how others choose to behave and live is something else. Then rubbing someone's perceived wrongdoing in the face of grieving families at the moment of transition is, I dunno, strikes me as (among other things) extremely unChristian.

Quote:
Instead he gives us the choice of how we want to live,
Which seems so unacceptable to so many people of faith with repsect to those who disagree with some or all of their views. That's what I find most frustrating.
Old 06-09-2006, 04:38 PM   #72
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Speaking as a historian, the Gospels, as they exist today, are not great primary sources.
Are you suggesting modern philosophy as a better source?
Old 06-09-2006, 04:38 PM   #73
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:

Then what about the original manuscripts/letters?

BTW, I'm with you on the Sox. I've been a fan since Thomas came up (actually, since Bo Jackson came over.)
Old 06-09-2006, 04:40 PM   #74
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

Since you like analogies:

The same doctor sees two patients. They are both diagnosed with the exact same Streptococcus infection. One is given penicillin. The other, having had an adverse reaction to the penicilin in the past, is given gentamycin. They are both cured exactly the same way in the end.
If the doctor says there are two (or more) ways to get cured, great take your choice.

Telling a doctor that my way is as good as His may make me feel better, but won't cure me.
Old 06-09-2006, 04:52 PM   #75
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Are you suggesting modern philosophy as a better source?

modern philosophy has volumes written by the original philosophers -- primary sources.

intellectually, this is far more "reliable" source material.