Westboro Baptist aim to preach at Tech funerals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UnforgettableLemon

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
http://www.godhatesamerica.com/

So the most notorious 'church' in the United States plans to 'preach' their hate at the funerals of the fallen students from Virginia Tech. I know this could probably go into the main thread, but I feel it warrants attention. I am unable to do so because of work obligations, but there is talk on facebook and elsewhere of forming a peaceful barrier between the Westboro Baptist Church and the attendees. I''m not sure if it's logistically possible, but when they made a similar attempt at Matthew Sheppard's funeral, supporters gathered to seperate their hate from the friends who had already suffered enough.

This makes me sick.

They want attention. As hard as it is to hear the shit they spew, they are just nasty, inbred, attention seekers who have no phone line to god and no power other than what the attention of others gives them.

So let them spew. Everyone knows they are nothing more than crackpots.

It's not their spewing that bothers me. They can say whatever crap they want. I just hate the thought of them poisoning that day for all the families involved. I'm very torn by that, because I truly do believe that the only solution in the long run is to ignore them.

I am pretty disgusted with Obama today as well. Listening to the audio of his speech today where he is talking about the violence that occured at VT and weapons laws into the violence perpetrated by Imus on black women.

Now I have publicly said that Imus should not have said what he said....

But I am physically about to lose my midnight snack listening to this man's bullshit....linking the two events.

Is this any different from what these rel;igious nuts are doing?

Does this man crave power that badly, that he cannot give it a rest for a day? He has to link the two events?

32 DEAD.....and they are going to be used by every group under the sun to try and achieve their goals be they religious, political.....

Can we bury them first?

Last edited:
Just to the best you can to ignore them. I believe there was a legal ruling about their appearances at military funerals-I don't remember what it was and don't think it could apply here.

The students at VT have shown themselves to be a multiple million times the human beings that these low lives are, so they are not even worth their time of day. A peaceful barrier is a good idea, just don't even acknowledge them in any other way. They have no idea who God is and what He stands for.

Sad that the "most notorious church" is the one spouting so much hate and ridicule. And people wonder why Christians all look bad...

Liesje said:
Sad that the "most notorious church" is the one spouting so much hate and ridicule. And people wonder why Christians all look bad...

I was recently asked by a student to be his confirmation sponsor. He asked me why Chrsitians have such a bad reputation in our meeting the other day.....

This sums it up.

I was appreciative of Gov. Kaine's angry reaction yesterday when he was asked about gun control policies...I forgot his exact words but it was something along the lines of 'for those who are already turning this into a political debate I have nothing but disdain for you.' Thank you. Let the emotional and physical wounds heal first.

As for the church protest...I'm disgusted by them.

U2democrat said:
I was appreciative of Gov. Kaine's angry reaction yesterday when he was asked about gun control policies...I forgot his exact words but it was something along the lines of 'for those who are already turning this into a political debate I have nothing but disdain for you.' Thank you. Let the emotional and physical wounds heal first.

As for the church protest...I'm disgusted by them.

I wish I hadn't had a phone call when I saw Gov. Kaine on tv last night. I really wanted to see him speak after hearing about it here yesterday.

The peaceful barrier seems to be the best option. Form it, and ignore those monsters. That's all I have to say about this. I refuse to waste another keystroke on them.

A few years ago, a filmmaker made a documentary about a gay young man from my area who killed himself. The Westboro Baptist Church turned up to protest at the film's premiere on a college campus. Passersby ignored them and went about their business, and they got so frustrated, they left.

Franklin Graham (son of Billy Graham) is having a big tent revivial sort of gathering on my university's campus in June. Many in the community are in an uproar about it. If I'm not working, I'm going out of town that weekend, and if I am, I'm going to stay in my apartment as much as I can, because the whole town will be overrun by hardcore Christians and protestors :crack:

Here's an excerpt from a recent article from our local paper:

The complaints relate to Graham's comments about Islam, Hinduism, homosexuals and Hurricane Katrina's assault on New Orleans -- statements the letter said "constitute bigotry, harassment and intimidation based on religion, race, creed and sexual orientation."

The letter also claims the lack of face-to-face time with Graham is not in keeping with handbook policy that encourages dialogue and respect for diverse viewpoints. Because festival organizers chose a college campus for their religious event, the letter said Graham cannot stand alone and apart from the university's day-to-day commitment to dialogue among diverse ideologies.

"I have no problem with controversial speakers on a college campus, but there should be dialogue. I don't see that in this case," said Janice McDonald, assistant dean of Harpur College of Arts and Sciences. "We have many students here who are of other faiths."

Full article available here: http://www.pressconnects.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2007704150342

I don't think Westboro is even a real church. I could start a church of Johnny Depp just like they started theirs :shrug: And mine would have more credibility and be more representative of Christianity than theirs is.

I loved when that woman on Fox (Julie Banderas) told off Phelps' daughter.

What would you do if you had a son in the military?” an outraged Banderas asked. “Would you damn him to hell as well? Because you’re gonna join him there if you had a son!”

“I have eight sons and I have three daughters,” responded Phelps-Roper, “and none of them would dare, dare fight for a nation who has made God their No. 1 enemy.”

Banderas engaged in a heated, rapid-fire, name-calling exchange with Phelps-Roper, which included: Banderas: “The Bible says ‘the fear of the Lord is hatred of evil,’ [from the Book of] Proverbs. ‘Pride and arrogance and the way of evil and perverted speech I hate.’ Perverted speech like yours: ‘God hates fags.’ You are preaching absolute B.-., and you know the final letter.”
Phelps-Roper: “If you don’t tell them that this nation is full of idolatry, full of adulteries …

Banderas: “Full of insane people like yourself, ma’am.”

Phelps-Roper: “You’re proud. You’re proud of your sins. You can’t do enough sinning. You think ‘gay’ pride, bimbo. You have sinned away your day of grace.”

Banderas: “OK, you are an abomination.”

Phelps-Roper: “America is doomed. America is doomed. … Before your eyes, missy, you’re gonna see the destruction of America.”

Banderas: “If America is doomed, then why don’t you get out? Why are you in this country? Why are you an American? Are you an American?”

Phelps-Roper: “I am exactly where my God put me to tell you plainly, that you are going to hell, and there’s nothing you can do about it.”

Banderas: “Why don’t you take your church to another country, then, ma’am? Thank you so much. You should not be proud to be an American, and thank you. Good-bye.”

The guy might have a point.
The good people of Sodom and Gomorrah did not want to hear about their sins, either.:shrug:
That is, if you believe that story.

Didn't he say that was the last time, and he wouldn't do it again?
Wasn't Christianity about forgiving?

Forgiven, not forgotten.

Vincent Vega said:
Didn't he say that was the last time, and he wouldn't do it again?
Wasn't Christianity about forgiving?

Forgiven, not forgotten.

Well forgivness don't mean jack these days. I would bring up The Reverand but that will not get us anywhere.

I'm not familiar with the phrase "jack these days."

If it's something along the lines "forget about it", well, that's anwered.
But it doesn't matter, this Westboro people have far more serious issues.

Justin24 said:

I see you don't agree.:wink:

Not only that, but I'm tired of all the dead horses being beaten around here. Especially when almost everyone in here showed you how your premise was wrong.

I'm not going to talk about this anymore...:|

What may be wrong in your view may seem right in the others view point. Maybe it's because of the way we think on our own that we dont get another perspective.

Why did this happen, you ask? It's simple. On April 16, 2007, this nation, through the offices of your military and conspirators therewith took a shot at the servants of God -- your marksman was limp and lame and he had terror all around, so he did a lousy job. But what you get for your trouble is that your God shot at you! The LORD your God sent a crazed madman to shoot at your children, and he didn't miss. Get this straight -- God sent this South Korean madman to kill 31 of your children at Virginia Tech. Was God asleep while this took place? Was He on vacation? Of course not. He willed this to happen to punish you for assailing His servants.

I'm sorry, but this is not a perspective that is worth my time. If others wish to follow it, I can't stop them, but something so fueled by hate isn't truly in the name of any God I believe in.

I think it's disgusting that on top of everything these 32 families have been through this week that some (even if it's just one or two) are going to have to deal with this crap at their relatives' funerals. With the composure the student body has shown so far, I have no doubt they will continue to be strong and band together, but it's horribly wrong that they should have to deal with this aggravation on top of the immense loss they're already facing.

Justin24 said:
I would bring up The Reverand but that will not get us anywhere.

I think you did just bring it up. And you're right, it won't move this thread in any kind of a positive direction. Please leave whatever issues you may have had in another thread in that thread. Thanks.

These simple minded bigots have a right to speech- just as I am sure principled and upstanding people can act as a guard to distract and distance them (nonviolently of course).

ok.....so is this really a church or is this a cult?

I'm a Christian and I am a member of my church which is part of the Baptist General Conference, not Southern Baptist. But....there is NO way in hell my church would EVERY even jokingly say something about doing something that this "church" has done. And to go on saying "godhatesamerica"....that makes me think this is a group of non Americans.....am I right? Please explain this to me.

Thanks ahead of time.

that Phelps-Roper person----they're from that so called, "church" right?

Is that church the same one that protested the funeral of the gay student that was beaten outside of a bar, a few years ago?? I remember that story....can't remember if his name was Michael or not, that may have been who was mentioned before. Anyway, I remember that specific story and seeing so called "Chrisitians" protesting his funeral.

Again....I ask how old Justin is. The reason I ask is only because some of his posts make me think he's pretty young and may be confused on some understandings of Christianity as a whole. (never mind...I see he's 24.)

God doesn't hate gays, lesbians, murderers, terrorists. He's not happy about any of it, but he doesnt hate them. And anyone that lives their life thinking that and therefore turning hate on someone because that's their understanding....well you're no better than what you're hating.

And just remember...hatered is a horrible thing and hate itself is a loaded word.

Last edited:
That Phelps-Rover whatever is in that cult. :)

Kiki said:

God doesn't hate gays, lesbians, [...] He's not happy about any of it

Says you.
I think Irvine, Ormus and some others here will strongly disagree.
If I believed, I would do so, too. Speaking as a heterosexual.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom