Went to the Ashand Ponderosa yesterday

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GypsyHeartgirl

POP for GIRLS
It was a place I'd gone to before, and after all the terror and worry and closed schools, I told my kids if the sniper was caught we'd go there to kind of celebrate the relief of not having to worry about being shot by the sniper and the freedom of being able to go out and feel relatively safe. As we got off the exit and drove within site of the resturant, I was wondering how it would be. My thoughts were, either it would be deserted because everyone was so creeped out by the shooting (though fortunately the victim here did survive) or it would be packed as some kind of bizarre tourist stop. The second was correct. I do admit I was there because of the news, but it was only as a celebration the scare was over, but we were shocked that people were posing for and taking pics, yes, stopping and posing in front of the resturant, its sign, and the woods! My kids laughed so hard, they yelled 'OMG they're POSING!!!' No, we didn't pose, but we did go back to the woods to look if we could see evidence of the incident and all the cops and agents. I never noticed how dark and dense and creepy those woods were, even in the sunlight of the afternoon. It was eerie and chilling. It was so scary to think a shot could come from a patch of woods, anywhere. When I was a little kid I was scared of woods like that, but as I grew up I thought, oh come on, what are the chances a weirdos or 'the bogeyman' are in those woods right now? This is proof you really never know.

We also met the girl employee who was interviewed on the news. I recognized her and asked her and she said yes it was her. You just never know how notoriety will come to your town. It can be a terrible way and how you'd least suspect. They're famous now, or is that infamous?

I would also like to express appreciation for all the law enforcement officers and agents in VA, and MD and DC and the FBI who did their best to keep the public safe, and the guys who turned in the licsense numbers of those snipers. Thank God this painful and frightening episode of history is over.

It reminds me of a movie quote, from the last line of the original:

"Was it the bogeyman?"

"As a matter of fact, it was."

But this one was true. :(

Last edited:
daisybean said:
That is really sick that people were posing for pictures at the site.

What's next "Sniper 2002" T-Shirts and hats?

:tsk:

As a matter of fact I did hear about a guy who had made up 2,000,000 "Virginia is for snipers" t-shirts with a gun site symbol over a map of the state:down: (a sick variation of the state's "Virginia is for lovers" slogan with a heart and the state) When criticized he said he'd stop- after he sold his entire stock:tsk::( This was before the sniper was caught.

Last edited:
People visited the sites connected to the OJ Simpson murder case for years - plenty of pictures were taken and plenty of T-shirts sold.

I can understand morbid curiosity or using humor to deal with a shocking situation, but this goes beyond that.

Also, while people question the sale of "sniper T-shirts", I would like to hear from someone who actually bought one. What drove them to pull that extra $10-15 out of their pocket?

One of the things about September 11 that I will hold close to my heart was everyone pulling together to help one another afterwards. It really gave me hope for humanity.

This just sickens me...........There goes a little pice of that hope.

Peace to all .....

Gypsy-- if you can get me one of those sniper shirts, I'll trade you for a "Ground Zero 2001" shirt.

My friend Brad was in town last week so I took him down to see Ground Zero. Brad was looking at the site when this woman pushes him and yells back "Joe, you can see a better view of the hole from here!" Umm.....hello? People died here. Oh well, at least that woman and her stupid husband were able to get a better view of the hole.

Gypsy, I sympathize completely. :yes:

Back
Top Bottom