Well thanks to rumors of a gas shortage in Atlanta the lines are insane - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-31-2005, 10:50 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 11:17 AM
There's a nice article in the Athens Banner Herald about the insanity today:

Quote:
Rumors fuel run on gas
Panic at pumps causes shortages
By Lee Shearer

Athens motorists jammed local filling stations Wednesday afternoon as gas prices surged to more than $3 a gallon.

The lines mirrored similar panic buying across Georgia as word of possible shortages and even rationing spread, but the situation was exacerbated in Athens by a widespread rumor that local retailers would stop selling gas by 3 p.m. Thursday.

"My cousin called me on the phone and told me they were going to stop pumping gas after 3 o'clock," said Latressia Jones of Athens. "I'm just making sure."

Similar stories were repeated over and over by motorists waiting in line at area gasoline retailers.

Three o'clock came and went, but the lines only got longer. But the sheer volume was enough to shut down the pumps at a number of stores. By 5 p.m., the Golden Pantry at the corner of Prince Avenue and Barber Street was completely out of gasoline, one of several around town that ran out during the rush.

Motorists saw steep price increases at gas stations all over town as area wholesalers reacted to steep hikes on the gasoline commodity market, sometimes while drivers waited in line.

Regular unleaded was just le $3 a gallon when University of Georgia student Lindsey Phillips got in line at the Quick Stop on Lexington Road and Winterville Road. Half an hour later, as she began pumping gas at about 3:15 p.m., the station raised the price to $3.39 a gallon. The price Wednesday morning had been $2.71.

The rumor that local retailers would stop selling at 3 p.m. may have created an area gasoline shortage, said wholesalers like Bobby Tweedell of Tweedell & Van Buren Oil Co.

Before Wednesday's panic, the supplier had about a five-day supply of gasoline on hand, but Wednesday afternoon's stampede meant the supply could run out late Friday or early Saturday, Tweedell said.

Overreaction by Athens area drivers to the unfounded rumor has exacerbated pressure on an already thin distribution system, said Harriet Lay of Lay Brothers Oil in Athens, where the telephones rang all day with callers concerned about gas stations closing.

"This panic is not doing anything but making things worse," Lay said. "We have no idea where the rumor (about gas stations closing at a certain time) got started, but I sure would like to get my hands on the idiot that started it."
Me, too, Ms. Lay, me, too.

Old 09-01-2005, 12:04 AM   #17
New Yorker

I posted this in another thread but thought you would like it as well. I believe this is from GA and is NOT Photoshopped.

Old 09-01-2005, 06:03 AM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

I saw that picture on the news

I think this is the start of a huge wakeup call
Old 09-01-2005, 06:17 AM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie

It's also going to be the start of all hell breaking loose. People will not and should not stand for these prices. Everyone needs to contact their rep or senator to get something done about this.
Old 09-01-2005, 06:29 AM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 12:47 PM
People are offended when businesses take advantage of disasters by charging more for generators or water by price gouging. Lawmakers consider it to be a crime in many places yet oil companies are doing exactly this and justifying it based on the interruption in the supply of oil. Remarkably, within a couple of days, they have jumped the prices. Whatever happened to the argument that it takes a few months for the cheap oil ( back when oil used to be $20 a barrel) to work its' way through the system to get to the pumps? I mean how much will gas cost by Christmas, it is only going to get worse as the winter approaches?
Old 09-01-2005, 06:31 AM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

Old 09-01-2005, 06:34 AM   #22
Blue Crack Distributor

Normal

Quote:
Originally posted by sharky
I posted this in another thread but thought you would like it as well. I believe this is from GA and is NOT Photoshopped.

Old 09-01-2005, 06:58 AM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:17 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by sharky

Jeez! This is friggin insane!
Old 09-01-2005, 07:03 AM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
Yes it is insane and complete bullshit and I am happy our Gov. is doing something about this:

[q]Gas Pump Prices Spur Gouging Fears
Perdue Asks State Not to Panic

POSTED: 5:14 am EDT September 1, 2005
UPDATED: 5:19 am EDT September 1, 2005

ATLANTA -- With some retailers advertising gasoline prices as high as $6 per gallon, Gov. Sonny Perdue signed an executive order Wednesday authorizing state sanctions against gas stations that gouge consumers.

"I do not believe there is an energy emergency in this state but we will not tolerate our citizens perceiving the fact there is by exorbitant price-gouging prices," he said.

Perdue's order allows the Governor's Office of Consumer Affairs to seek civil sanctions against retailers who can't justify their prices based on the price they paid at the terminal for the product, adjusted for their normal markup.

"Frankly, when you prey upon the fears, the paranoia of citizens, it is akin to looting in a different sort of way," Perdue said.

As he spoke, long queues formed in Georgia's suburbs and cities, rural towns and backwaters, as drivers scrambled to fill their tanks with gas priced well over $3 a gallon at some stations.

Police in Sandersville had to direct traffic during a mid-morning rush on the pumps after two small stations ran out of gas, Police Chief John Harden said. In Washington, long lines for gas stretched into the town's main street, disrupting traffic.

"People are beginning to panic over the gasoline already," said Wilkes County Commissioner Donna Hardy. "People don't know what to expect at this point."

John Harper, an east Cobb County resident, pulled up to a gas station in Stockbridge Wednesday evening when he saw an enticing empty parking lot. He promptly turned around once he the manager told him the gas prices -- $5.87 for a gallon of unleaded fuel.

"It's highway robbery," Harper said.

He was one of a half-dozen people who left after pulling up to the station. Soon after, the gas station manager decided to lower the gas prices by $2 a gallon.

The governor gave no specific examples of price gouging but said prices at some stations rose from $3 per gallon to $5 and $6 per gallon by Wednesday afternoon.

"We should not even have to be doing this," he said. "I'm frankly embarrassed for our state and some of our businesses that we have to do this."

He acknowledged consumers may not always know if they are being gouged as gas prices change. "You just have to report this and our Office of Consumer Affairs will investigate," he said.

Hours before announcing his executive order, Perdue called on Georgians to remain calm over rising gas prices and fears of short supplies, saying, "This is a temporary problem due to Hurricane Katrina and will be resolved soon."

He asked the state's drivers to alter any discretionary driving plans they might have for the Labor Day weekend and stay home with their families instead.

"There's no reason to panic. There's plenty of gas on the way, and the only reason we would have problems locally is if we rush out to hoard and try to accumulate gasoline that we won't need for a long time," he said during a news conference with Red Cross officials.

Perdue said gas distributors assured him they were working around the clock to restore service to two major gas pipelines that serve the state but he added that another major source of supply through the Georgia ports hasn't been hampered.

"Fresh fuel is continuing to reach our ports and Atlanta and other markets throughout Georgia," he said.

Meanwhile, Rep. John Lewis called on President Bush to encourage restraint among oil companies -- urging them to keep prices as low as they can during the crisis.

"It is my firm belief that oil companies should not be profiting from the misery and despair of American citizens," said Lewis, an Atlanta Democrat.

Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed[/q]
Old 09-01-2005, 07:06 AM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
And for those of us who live in GA, make sure to keep this information handy:

Complaints of price gouging can be sent to the state Agriculture Commissioner Tommy Irvin at tirvin@agr.state.ga.us or visit the department's Web site at www.agr.state.ga.us .

Customers can also complain by calling (404) 651-8600 inside Atlanta or (1 800) 869-1123 outside Atlanta.
Old 09-01-2005, 01:16 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:17 PM
We're running out of gas in Alabama. We have a law against price-gouging and the politicians claim it's going to be enforced. I have to get filled up this afternoon. I'm sure I'll have a wonderful time at the gas station.
Old 09-01-2005, 05:07 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

That's definitely not photoshopped. There were some pumps going at 5.99/6.99/7.99! A few guys got caught and fined I think.

Anyway, the rumored shortage has caused a real shortage (temporarily of course). Every gas station I've seen today's been closed!
Old 09-01-2005, 06:58 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

I only counted 3 stations out of countless stations that I passed that had gas.
Old 09-01-2005, 07:03 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by trevster2k
People are offended when businesses take advantage of disasters by charging more for generators or water by price gouging. Lawmakers consider it to be a crime in many places yet oil companies are doing exactly this and justifying it based on the interruption in the supply of oil.
No kidding!

There is outrage when hotels hike up their rates during a hurricane but it's acceptable for speculators to artificially increase the price of gas.

It's criminal and akin to war profiteering.
Old 09-01-2005, 07:53 PM   #30
New Yorker

All the talk of shortage and people running to the gas station filling up out of fear = high prices. Sad state of things.