Well Mexico is Pissed with The US - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-20-2005, 05:01 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 04:09 AM
Well Mexico is Pissed with The US

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/12/20/D8EK6GGO9.html

Ok this is our nation and if we want to protect it we should be able to, including putting up walls. Look what happened in France a month and and a half ago. Since the immigrants never really assimilated into society and were treated bad, all hell broke loose.

This is just my opionion.

Old 12-20-2005, 05:03 PM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:09 PM
I think that all countries are entitled to use reasonable means to protect their borders.

Old 12-20-2005, 05:07 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 06:09 AM
I don't know how effective this would be considering the cost, but the intent of it isn't anti-immigrant. It's obviously to lessen *illegal* immigration (which Fox obviously has no interest in doing). The Mexican government can get as mad as they want about it, but if they're actively encouraging their own citizens to cross the border illegally they have to expect some sort of response.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:16 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:09 AM
Sadly, this will devolve into accusations of racism. Congress passed legislation last week that addressed illegal immigration on multiple fronts, including stiff fines for companies that hire illegal workers, the building of the fence, and the immediate deportation of illegals (instead of the catch and release program where illegals were given a hearing date - to which they never appear).
Old 12-20-2005, 07:34 PM   #5
New Yorker

Local Time: 07:09 AM
Re: Well Mexico is Pissed with The US

Quote:
Originally posted by Justin24
http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/12/20/D8EK6GGO9.html

Ok this is our nation and if we want to protect it we should be able to, including putting up walls. Look what happened in France a month and and a half ago. Since the immigrants never really assimilated into society and were treated bad, all hell broke loose.

This is just my opionion.
Justin--what do the riots in France have to do with US/Mexican immigration? You're aware, I trust, that the rioters in France were mostly not immigrants?
Old 12-20-2005, 07:36 PM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:09 PM
From the reports that I saw they also did not consider themselves French
Old 12-20-2005, 07:40 PM   #7
New Yorker

Local Time: 07:09 AM
Well, identities are complex. Well to globalization.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:41 PM   #8
BAW
The Flower

Local Time: 03:09 AM
Re: Re: Well Mexico is Pissed with The US

Quote:
Originally posted by Sherry Darling

Justin--what do the riots in France have to do with US/Mexican immigration? You're aware, I trust, that the rioters in France were mostly not immigrants?

I was wondering the same thing.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:11 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

What I was trying to point out is do we want our society to end up like france.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:26 PM   #10
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:09 AM
Quote:
What I was trying to point out is do we want our society to end up like france.

I still don't see the connection you are trying to make.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:39 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I think he means uncontrolled immigration can lead to problems? I don't think it's a very valid comparison though...everyone I know that's from Mexico considers themselves to be American at least to some degree. I don't think there's the same degree of alienation, but I could definitely be wrong.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:45 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

BonoVox, You from Canada right. Do you have an influx of Latin American's?? Probably not so you would not no the problems we have here in the states. What VertigoGal said is what I meant. If we keep it uncontrolled it will become a problem. We should build those walls but also establish a guest worker plan so they can come here legally.
first one last 2 years.(It takes several years to get citizenship, so they can apply during those two years.) After that it should be five years (during that time there application for citizenship should be completed, if it is then there guest worker card becomes obsolete and they become citizens, including children under 18 and the spouse)
Old 12-20-2005, 10:04 PM   #13
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
BonoVox, You from Canada right. Do you have an influx of Latin American's?? Probably not so you would not no the problems we have here in the states. What VertigoGal said is what I meant. If we keep it uncontrolled it will become a problem. We should build those walls but also establish a guest worker plan so they can come here legally.
first one last 2 years.(It takes several years to get citizenship, so they can apply during those two years.) After that it should be five years (during that time there application for citizenship should be completed, if it is then there guest worker card becomes obsolete and they become citizens, including children under 18 and the spouse)
Um no I live in Chicago, but in fact grew up in Texas. I understand the issues of legal and illegal immigration. My point is that your comparision to France really doesn't make any sense, the majority of rioters like Sherry said were legal.

As far as the wall goes, I'm all for tightening our borders, but I'm just not sure this is the way to go. We've gone a long time without a wall and actually illegal immigration has been a lot higher in the past.

There's a lot of politics and issues when it comes to immigration. It effects the economy for illegal immigrants do a lot of the jobs others aren't willing to do.

Then you have legislation passed by Bush that illegal immigrants can get legal licenses.

There's a lot of contradictions and BS involved.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:51 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I can't find the news bit but I read somewhere that activist had built a cardboard wall right in front of the doors of the US embassy in Mexico.

I thought that was great.

I don't see what the big issue would be. If I lived in a wealthy country and I was aware of the conditions that third world countries like mine have, I would want to help immigrants to come have a better lifestyle.

The US once again proves that since they're the most powerful it is only their interests that should matter. Selfish country.
Old 03-27-2006, 10:55 PM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by BrownEyedBoy
I can't find the news bit but I read somewhere that activist had built a cardboard wall right in front of the doors of the US embassy in Mexico.

I thought that was great.

I don't see what the big issue would be. If I lived in a wealthy country and I was aware of the conditions that third world countries like mine have, I would want to help immigrants to come have a better lifestyle.

The US once again proves that since they're the most powerful it is only their interests that should matter. Selfish country.
It's not as simple as that. Most Americans are far from "wealthy." If we all lived like kings, I would see your point. However, parts of the U.S. are actually as destitute as some third world countries--something that presidents like to avoid while they're busy telling us that we're the greatest nation that ever existed.

I will agree, however, that a lot of this "illegal immigrant" rhetoric is actually misplaced. We're told that we're losing jobs to illegal immigrants, and while that is correct to a point, we're probably losing more jobs from globalization and layoffs from downsizing corporations. As such, don't blame Republicans, don't blame Bush, don't blame corporate America for being unemployed/underemployed. Blame "illegal immigrants."

The ever-so-prophetic episode of "The Simpsons," was right on the mark. The high cost of the "Bear Patrol" (or, as I put it, "The War on (Bear) Terror") was not blamed on government ineptitude/bloat, but, instead, illegal immigrants.

However, my other main beef about all this is, if America is supposed to open its floodgates to the rest of the world, I want to see the rest of the world open its floodgates to Americans. Loose immigration policy should be a two-way street.

Regardless, it's not our obligation to pick up the slack for inept, corrupt governments like Mexico. Maybe if illegal immigration wasn't an option, Mexicans would have risen up and overthrown their government decades ago. South America has certainly gone places over the last 2-3 decades that Mexico could only dream of.

Melon