Well Mexico is Pissed with The US

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that all countries are entitled to use reasonable means to protect their borders.

I don't know how effective this would be considering the cost, but the intent of it isn't anti-immigrant. It's obviously to lessen *illegal* immigration (which Fox obviously has no interest in doing). The Mexican government can get as mad as they want about it, but if they're actively encouraging their own citizens to cross the border illegally they have to expect some sort of response.

Sadly, this will devolve into accusations of racism. Congress passed legislation last week that addressed illegal immigration on multiple fronts, including stiff fines for companies that hire illegal workers, the building of the fence, and the immediate deportation of illegals (instead of the catch and release program where illegals were given a hearing date - to which they never appear).

Justin24 said:
http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/12/20/D8EK6GGO9.html

Ok this is our nation and if we want to protect it we should be able to, including putting up walls. Look what happened in France a month and and a half ago. Since the immigrants never really assimilated into society and were treated bad, all hell broke loose.

This is just my opionion.

Justin--what do the riots in France have to do with US/Mexican immigration? You're aware, I trust, that the rioters in France were mostly not immigrants?

Re: Re: Well Mexico is Pissed with The US

Sherry Darling said:

Justin--what do the riots in France have to do with US/Mexican immigration? You're aware, I trust, that the rioters in France were mostly not immigrants?

I was wondering the same thing.

What I was trying to point out is do we want our society to end up like france.

I think he means uncontrolled immigration can lead to problems? :shrug: I don't think it's a very valid comparison though...everyone I know that's from Mexico considers themselves to be American at least to some degree. I don't think there's the same degree of alienation, but I could definitely be wrong.

BonoVox, You from Canada right. Do you have an influx of Latin American's?? Probably not so you would not no the problems we have here in the states. What VertigoGal said is what I meant. If we keep it uncontrolled it will become a problem. We should build those walls but also establish a guest worker plan so they can come here legally.
first one last 2 years.(It takes several years to get citizenship, so they can apply during those two years.) After that it should be five years (during that time there application for citizenship should be completed, if it is then there guest worker card becomes obsolete and they become citizens, including children under 18 and the spouse)

Justin24 said:
BonoVox, You from Canada right. Do you have an influx of Latin American's?? Probably not so you would not no the problems we have here in the states. What VertigoGal said is what I meant. If we keep it uncontrolled it will become a problem. We should build those walls but also establish a guest worker plan so they can come here legally.
first one last 2 years.(It takes several years to get citizenship, so they can apply during those two years.) After that it should be five years (during that time there application for citizenship should be completed, if it is then there guest worker card becomes obsolete and they become citizens, including children under 18 and the spouse)

Um no I live in Chicago, but in fact grew up in Texas. I understand the issues of legal and illegal immigration. My point is that your comparision to France really doesn't make any sense, the majority of rioters like Sherry said were legal.

As far as the wall goes, I'm all for tightening our borders, but I'm just not sure this is the way to go. We've gone a long time without a wall and actually illegal immigration has been a lot higher in the past.

There's a lot of politics and issues when it comes to immigration. It effects the economy for illegal immigrants do a lot of the jobs others aren't willing to do.

Then you have legislation passed by Bush that illegal immigrants can get legal licenses.

There's a lot of contradictions and BS involved.

I can't find the news bit but I read somewhere that activist had built a cardboard wall right in front of the doors of the US embassy in Mexico.

I thought that was great.

I don't see what the big issue would be. If I lived in a wealthy country and I was aware of the conditions that third world countries like mine have, I would want to help immigrants to come have a better lifestyle.

The US once again proves that since they're the most powerful it is only their interests that should matter. Selfish country. :tsk:

BrownEyedBoy said:
I can't find the news bit but I read somewhere that activist had built a cardboard wall right in front of the doors of the US embassy in Mexico.

I thought that was great.

I don't see what the big issue would be. If I lived in a wealthy country and I was aware of the conditions that third world countries like mine have, I would want to help immigrants to come have a better lifestyle.

The US once again proves that since they're the most powerful it is only their interests that should matter. Selfish country. :tsk:

It's not as simple as that. Most Americans are far from "wealthy." If we all lived like kings, I would see your point. However, parts of the U.S. are actually as destitute as some third world countries--something that presidents like to avoid while they're busy telling us that we're the greatest nation that ever existed.

I will agree, however, that a lot of this "illegal immigrant" rhetoric is actually misplaced. We're told that we're losing jobs to illegal immigrants, and while that is correct to a point, we're probably losing more jobs from globalization and layoffs from downsizing corporations. As such, don't blame Republicans, don't blame Bush, don't blame corporate America for being unemployed/underemployed. Blame "illegal immigrants."

The ever-so-prophetic episode of "The Simpsons," was right on the mark. The high cost of the "Bear Patrol" (or, as I put it, "The War on (Bear) Terror") was not blamed on government ineptitude/bloat, but, instead, illegal immigrants.

However, my other main beef about all this is, if America is supposed to open its floodgates to the rest of the world, I want to see the rest of the world open its floodgates to Americans. Loose immigration policy should be a two-way street.

Regardless, it's not our obligation to pick up the slack for inept, corrupt governments like Mexico. Maybe if illegal immigration wasn't an option, Mexicans would have risen up and overthrown their government decades ago. South America has certainly gone places over the last 2-3 decades that Mexico could only dream of.

Melon

Justin24 said:
What I was trying to point out is do we want our society to end up like france.
could it be that you actually have no clue what is really going on in France (other than knowing someone rioted over there)?

Melon posted: (...) if America is supposed to open its floodgates to the rest of the world, I want to see the rest of the world open its floodgates to Americans.
:hmm: so far i have not heard of any floods of Americans trying to actually go somewhere (or being actively locked out wherever all these masses where flodding too).. but i might just have overheard these news :shrug:

Last edited:
a-mole said:

could it be that you actually have no clue what is really going on in France (other than knowing someone rioted over there)?

:hmm: so far i have not heard of any floods of Americans trying to actually go somewhere (or being actively locked out wherever all these masses where flodding too).. but i might just have overheard these news :shrug:

there was a mass exodus to Canada planned after Bush won the last election. guess it didn't happen, must have been the immigration laws.......

melon said:
Regardless, it's not our obligation to pick up the slack for inept, corrupt governments like Mexico. Maybe if illegal immigration wasn't an option, Mexicans would have risen up and overthrown their government decades ago.
:yes: If Mexico is so darned concerned about it's illegal migrants, why don't they help out their own citizens instead of expecting the US to?! The government wants the power over the people, but it won't accept its responsibility TO the people!

Sue DeNym said:

:yes: If Mexico is so darned concerned about it's illegal migrants, why don't they help out their own citizens instead of expecting the US to?! The government wants the power over the people, but it won't accept its responsibility TO the people!

Mexico benefits greatly from illegal immigration. Between the reduced cost of services for those who travel to the US and the amount of money sent from the US back to Mexico, there is little incentive to end the process by Mexico.

melon said:

It's not as simple as that. Most Americans are far from "wealthy." If we all lived like kings, I would see your point. However, parts of the U.S. are actually as destitute as some third world countries--something that presidents like to avoid while they're busy telling us that we're the greatest nation that ever existed.

I will agree, however, that a lot of this "illegal immigrant" rhetoric is actually misplaced. We're told that we're losing jobs to illegal immigrants, and while that is correct to a point, we're probably losing more jobs from globalization and layoffs from downsizing corporations. As such, don't blame Republicans, don't blame Bush, don't blame corporate America for being unemployed/underemployed. Blame "illegal immigrants."

The ever-so-prophetic episode of "The Simpsons," was right on the mark. The high cost of the "Bear Patrol" (or, as I put it, "The War on (Bear) Terror") was not blamed on government ineptitude/bloat, but, instead, illegal immigrants.

However, my other main beef about all this is, if America is supposed to open its floodgates to the rest of the world, I want to see the rest of the world open its floodgates to Americans. Loose immigration policy should be a two-way street.

Regardless, it's not our obligation to pick up the slack for inept, corrupt governments like Mexico. Maybe if illegal immigration wasn't an option, Mexicans would have risen up and overthrown their government decades ago. South America has certainly gone places over the last 2-3 decades that Mexico could only dream of.

Melon

I have relatives who moved to the US about 20 years ago knowing nothing. With nothing.

Now, they have a beautiful house several cars and are actually better off than we are here in Honduras.

This proves to me that in the US whoever wants to work and puts effort into it will have work and will make a good amount of money doing it.

In the states, many jobs earn $7 an hour. That´s insane. If you came to Honduras and you saw the amount of work people have to do to earn $7 you would be amazed at how good you have it.

All I´m saying is that things are way more accesible in the states. If my country had that I would be more than happy to share it with other people who are starving to death.

The truth is most illegal immigrants go to the states to work and most send money back to their countries to help their families. You see? That means they make enough money for themselves to survive and extra to send back home. That would be impossible in the countries they live in.

Also, I forgot to mention this before, but how insulting is a literal wall being constructed to separate a country from another? How demeaning is that? Try building a wall that separates you from your neighbor in your house and see how offended he/she will feel.

BrownEyedBoy said:
Also, I forgot to mention this before, but how insulting is a literal wall being constructed to separate a country from another? How demeaning is that? Try building a wall that separates you from your neighbor in your house and see how offended he/she will feel.

Walls or fences separating homes are a common feature in US communities.

BrownEyedBoy said:

Neighbors don't build walls like that because they don't come over when they're not invited and mooch. They don't pay taxes. They use tax based services such as education. They put an extra strain on an already burdened health care system.

Mexico needs to get their act together and improve the situation in their own house before they go causing trouble in somebody else's house.

BrownEyedBoy said:
The truth is most illegal immigrants go to the states to work and most send money back to their countries to help their families. You see? That means they make enough money for themselves to survive and extra to send back home. That would be impossible in the countries they live in.

They pay no taxes or social secutiry. And they put a burden on social/medical services.

I wonder how much would get sent home if they paid taxes?

I wonder how much tax revenue is available from illegals?

If they paid taxes and SS, I'd have no problem with them.

melon said:

Melon

Ok I usualy agree with you in most of your views but you've completely lost me on this comment, Mexico has the lowest inflation in it's history by 4%, the government has managed to maintain the dollar at less than 11 pesos for the last 6 years, the economy is growing slowly but things are actually better and economically we are way better than most if not all South American countries

There's a lot of problems with our government, however Fox or anyone else in the government have never publicly encourage Mexicans to go to the USA. I'm actually in favor of the US reinforcing their borders, I do think a wall is insulting but if that's the way to go to prevent more illegal immigrants from going then so be it the US goverment can do whatever they want with their ground

Last edited:
i find this issue very complex, and i really can't find a way to come down firmly on any side of the issue. i've also lived my entire life in the northeast, so perhaps my views would change if i were in California or Texas or New Mexico, but it seems to me that laws aren't any good unless you enforce them. you really can't get around the fact that there is a legal way to immigrate, and an illegal way to immigrate. one of the least things a government owes to its people is the ability to create and maintain stable, defined borders, (even THIS government, easily the most hapless bunch of plutocrats in my lifetime), and i don't think it's unreasonable for people who immigrated legally to feel a bit of resentment towards those who have arrived illegally. while i can understand, very well, the desire to get out of corrupt countries and try to improve one's situation, there's also a side to me that thinks, to be blunt if not outright rude, that it really isn't my problem. or at least it's not a problem that i feel i can address, or that we should address, simply by letting everyone who wants to come here just walk across the border.

however, illegal immigrants might be parasitic in some ways, but i'm more than willing to bet they more than make up for it through services rendered as well as adding to the national ethos of individual advancement through hard work and gumption (gosh! i sound like a platitudinous republican!) the people i suspect are illegal immigrants in my neighborhood (i have no way of knowing ... many are Salvadorean, and i would imagine that many were able to immigrate quite legally after the civil wars down there in the 80s) add to the vitality of the neighborhood as well as the renovation and rehabilitation of the houses on my street as quality labor is offered as a price that makes renovations financially possible.

so ... i dunno. :shrug:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom