Well Mexico is Pissed with The US - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-28-2006, 08:46 PM   #61
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:47 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BorderGirl
Now there's a novel idea!
Mexico is probably the richest nation in the Spanish speaking world. Where does all that money go? The oil money, the tourist revenue? Copper mines, etc?
We would be better off invading the place and changing the system down there.
I believe I learned back in HS that, back in the 1850s, the U.S. actually had a novel chance to annex both Canada and Mexico simultaneously. However, "slavery" became the contentious issue that destroyed this deal, because the South wanted to enslave Mexico. The North refused, and, as a result, the South objected to annexing Canada, because they did not want more "free states" to make them look like an even larger minority. Hence, we ended up with neither.

However, Mexico's current fate is not entirely its own fault. For many years, the U.S. has handsomely profited off of Mexico's third-world economy, creating many factories of cheap labor. Certain powers that be would be unhappy if Mexican labor suddenly started to cost more.

Melon

Old 03-28-2006, 09:25 PM   #62
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:47 AM
Quote:
I feel compeled to add that the government services these illegals are receiving are arranged because of the party/laws/people in place in Washington, voted there by us.
If these services are available to them why wouldn't illegals take advantage of them?
The fact is that the people making the laws create an environment in which they stand to gain politically from the illegals and enact laws
to "help" them.
Let's not forget a large percentage of your state's businesses benefit from this as well.

Old 03-28-2006, 09:35 PM   #63
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Justin24
Since my tax money goes to educate their kids and hospital visits, I should have the right to take that money from them.

which in turn goes to keep your streets safer from drugs, crime, and prostitution, and lets Mommy get her whole house cleaned for $85 and Daddy get his shrubs trimmed for $50.

and they then turn around and spend that money at Wal-Mart buying their children pencils and coloring books and pay sales tax.

really, it's not such a bad deal.

yes, i do think we owe it to people who are here legally distinctions between them and illegals. i think we should be able to have secure borders, and i don't think anyone should be able to immigrate simply because they want to. we have rules and laws for a reason.

but blaming the illegal immigrants who are here for things like higher taxes or expensive medical care is simply silly. our lives are better in countless ways because of illegal labor.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:58 PM   #64
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

How can you blame the immigrants, they're trying to support their families.
No blame really. I just don't think anyone really should be rewarded for breaking and entering.
Old 03-28-2006, 10:01 PM   #65
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

No blame really. I just don't think anyone really should be rewarded for breaking and entering.
But you are.
Old 03-28-2006, 10:37 PM   #66
BAW
The Flower

Local Time: 05:47 AM
Quote:

It is illegal to hire illegals.
To work here legally you need a social security number so you can pay your income taxes.
If you are working with fake documents then you and your employer are lying to the government.
This is an example of why we have so many problems---thanks for contributing.

I never said it was legal to hire illegals. I never said it was legal to work with fake papers. I don't condone it or think its okay to do it.

I think you are making some pretty big assumptions about me without even knowing my position on this issue. The fact that I was once (a very long time ago) married to an illegal immigrant and became aware of how they obtain jobs and pay taxes does not mean I condone breaking the law. Far from it.

I know full well how our hospitals and schools have become overburdened and how our government has looked the other way.

I also don't consider myself part of the problem as you not so nicely stated. With my help, my ex husband is now a legal resident, contributing his fair share of taxes, legally. I pay 28% of my income in federal taxes alone, so I consider my contribution pretty positive as well.
Old 03-28-2006, 10:42 PM   #67
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:47 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
but blaming the illegal immigrants who are here for things like higher taxes or expensive medical care is simply silly. our lives are better in countless ways because of illegal labor.
This is where you would need to look at the financials for school districts and hospitals in illegal immigrant heavy areas.

Certain groups benefit from illegals, but the costs are spread to everyone.
Old 03-28-2006, 10:51 PM   #68
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by Bono's American Wife

I never said it was legal to hire illegals. I never said it was legal to work with fake papers. I don't condone it or think its okay to do it.

I also don't consider myself part of the problem as you not so nicely stated. With my help, my ex husband is now a legal resident, contributing his fair share of taxes, legally. I pay 28% of my income in federal taxes alone, so I consider my contribution pretty positive as well.
Here's your original post:
"My former husband was in the US illegally. He worked with fake documents and trust me, he paid taxes just like everyone else. So did his illegal co-workers, brothers, aunts, uncles and cousins."

Sorry if I thought what you said was that you thought it was ok to hire illegal workers.
I'm glad your husband is now a legal resident.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:09 PM   #69
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

But you are.
Sneak in, work under the table, keep being illegal.

But as an illegal do not march down our streets carrying Mexican flags demanding the same rights as American citizens born here, and those that came here legally.
If you are here illegally, work through the process of becoming legal.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:12 PM   #70
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

demanding the same rights as American citizens born here, and those that came here legally.
This I agree with.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:50 PM   #71
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 06:47 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
This country would fall apart without their work. It is not about helping their own country. We have ignored the problem for so long, we as a society are dependant on their labor.
Did we fall apart during early 20th century with out the millions of illegal aliens?
Old 03-29-2006, 12:00 AM   #72
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Did we fall apart during early 20th century with out the millions of illegal aliens?
We still had second class citizens left over from slavery that we took advantage of...
Old 03-29-2006, 12:07 AM   #73
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Ok, but you protest the wars that take money from us and that is used unnecessarily. Yet what about the billions that are used to school, feed, treat millions of illegal aliens. Why dont they remove the government like the people of Kosovo did with Milosovich?
Old 03-29-2006, 12:14 AM   #74
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Ok, but you protest the wars that take money from us and that is used unnecessarily. Yet what about the billions that are used to school, feed, treat millions of illegal aliens. Why dont they remove the government like the people of Kosovo did with Milosovich?
Seriously what are you talking about?
Old 03-29-2006, 12:17 AM   #75
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I am talking about how illegal immigration drains our funds and how still people say it is ok, yet when it comes to war everyone complains.