Welcome Wal-Mart in the Name of Freedom and Justice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

A_Wanderer

ONE love, blood, life
Straight from the Ayn Rand Institute
How would you like to be penalized because you do your work too well--for example, for running your business so effectively that it attracts hordes of happy customers? Well, this is what is happening more and more frequently to Wal-Mart. Recently the West Covina, Calif., city council voted to deny the sale of land to developers who were going to build a Wal-Mart store on the site. The council was concerned that the Wal-Mart store would "threaten" other businesses and replace higher paying jobs in the area with lower-paying ones. The banning of Wal-Mart is being considered by the Los Angeles city council and has occurred in some other California cities as well as in other locations around the country.

Wal-Mart is one of the most impressive success stories in the history of business. Founded some 50 years ago as a single five and dime store in a small Arkansas town, it has grown into a world-wide behemoth under the leadership of its brilliant founder, the late Sam Walton, and his able successors. It is the largest corporation in America in terms of sales, $245 billion. Wal-Mart has over 4,000 stores worldwide, employs 1.3 million people, and serves 100 million customers per week.

It is quite true that Wal-Mart has been successful in outcompeting other stores which sell the same products, such as toys, clothing, and groceries. But how has it been able to do this? By discovering new ways of using computer systems and other technology to better manage its inventory and costs and reap the benefits of economy of scale.

Wal-Mart is especially popular among low-income shoppers who cannot afford the prices of the more upscale stores. It has put other stores out of business, but that is the way capitalism works. The automobile replaced the horse and buggy. Sound motion picture replaced the silents. No one has a "right" to business success or a "right" to be protected from competitors through government intervention. One only has a right to try to compete through voluntary trade. In a free economy, companies that offer the best value for the dollar win and the losers invest their money elsewhere.

It is also true that Wal-Mart pays lower wages than many unionized stores. But it must offer a market wage or risk its employees going elsewhere, and it deals with employees on a voluntary basis. Those who do not like its terms are free to do business elsewhere. This makes the company especially hated by "organized labor," such as the grocery unions. By coercively restricting the supply of labor, these unions, backed by government laws and regulations, have been able to extort wages and benefits far above those which would exist in a truly free labor market. In a free market, how many people doing relatively unskilled work would get $17-19 per hour plus full medical benefits? Unions, of course, have the right to organize and picket but not to benefit from government regulations which give them special favors. No one has the right to dictate what a company offers to pay others.

There is only one morally proper way to keep Wal-Mart out of any community: don't patronize its stores. If Wal-Mart cannot make money in a given location, it will either not move there or will close the store. So far, however, it makes money everywhere it opens a store for one simple reason: customers want to shop there. The low prices Wal-Mart offers make people wealthier. They can buy a wide range of quality goods that they could not otherwise afford and they can use the money they save for other purposes.

Local government should not be allowed to abuse their power by keeping out stores that consumers want to shop in. Nor, of course, should Wal-Mart be allowed to use eminent domain laws, as it is trying to do in several states, to force property owners to sell their land. But given that it refrains from using eminent domain, we should welcome every store that Wal-Mart builds. We should thank this great company for being so good at giving customers what they want that they make huge profits, which enables them to build more stores, hire more employees, give more profit opportunities to suppliers and make even more customers happy.

Wal-Mart should not be feared but should be admired as an American ideal--a classic rags to riches story. It is the quintessential example of an innovator left free to function. Only in a country where individual rights--at least what's left of them--including the right to earn a profit, are recognized, could a company like Wal-Mart arise and prosper. Trying to stop Wal-Mart is not only morally wrong, it is un-American.
link

Ah the individualistic bastardry of objectivists is really a breath of fresh air in a world where social justice and leftist egalistarianism are held in such high regard. They can get just as grating of course but aren't we meant to celebrate diversity in all its forms.

More X-Mas fun from the ARI with Christmas should celebrate reason, selfishness and capitalism.

Last edited:
Even if I agreed with Walmart's business practices (or didn't care one way or another about them) I still wouldn't shop there because they have shitty products, the stores are depressing, cruddy and irritatingly arranged (whoever told them their colour scheme was good should be shot), and their employees unhelpful.

Sure it's cheap, but you get what you pay for.

Wanna bet no one at the "Ayn Rand Institute" actually works there? It's nice to parade it when the only thing you have to do is profit off of it.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/12/22/walmart.lunch.ap/index.html

The world's largest retailer was ordered to pay $57 million in general damages and $115 million in punitive damages to about 116,000 current and former California employees for violating a 2001 state law that requires employers to give 30-minute, unpaid lunch breaks to employees who work at least six hours.

The class-action lawsuit in Alameda County Superior Court is one of about 40 nationwide alleging workplace violations by Wal-Mart, and the first to go to trial. The Bentonville, Arkansas-based retailer, which earned $10 billion last year, settled a similar lawsuit in Colorado for $50 million.

But I guess these are just "ungrateful employees." But they do have one thing right: the best way to defeat this monster is to not shop there. I never have and never will.

Melon

A real american buiseness... Manipulative and choose the most docile employees. No syndicate, of course, because they want to keep controling their people. Just the publicities on TV about Wal-Mart show brainwashed people ! "This is the greatest store I've seen in my life ! I buy everything there ! I'm the happiest person on Earth !" I don't trust at all this american giant at all... sorry.

Last Sunday I went shopping at Wal-Mart with my dad...we were able to by groceries for a week for a family of 4, for $50. You can't argue with that.

I don't understand why people expect Wal-Mart to pay so high above minimum wage, when it's essentially minimum wage work. Is it true that more and more people are stuck in that kind of work, and not just as a transitional job? Yes. Is that all Wal-Mart's doing? Probably not...

If you're trying to save some money, the color scheme or arrangement of the store is probably not going to matter, by the way. :wink: And the products are really of decent quality, especially if it's just groceries.

Look, I know Wal-Mart is big/evil/ruining America, but it can be good for a lot of people.

VertigoGal said:

I don't understand why people expect Wal-Mart to pay so high above minimum wage, when it's essentially minimum wage work. Is it true that more and more people are stuck in that kind of work, and not just as a transitional job? Yes. Is that all Wal-Mart's doing? Probably not...

ILook, I know Wal-Mart is big/evil/ruining America, but it can be good for a lot of people.

Do you know what the minimum wage is ?

I think it's around $6.15/hr, I'm not sure what Wal-Mart wages are for a cashier...in any case I'm sure it's not enough to singularly support a family.

eta: from a few different sources, it seems like the average wage of a Wal-Mart employee is about $10/hr.

Last edited:
VertigoGal said:
And the products are really of decent quality, especially if it's just groceries.

maybe the food is ok, but you have to be joking about the rest of the stuff they sell

VertigoGal said:
..in any case I'm sure it's not enough to singularly support a family.

that is correct

my dad works at walmart, I hate them (& so does my mom) with every fiber of my being :mad: they fucked us on health insurance & just plain fucked us :down:

:rant: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

sorry, i don't vent much in here but i can't stand people defending walmart

VertigoGal said:
I think it's around $6.15/hr, I'm not sure what Wal-Mart wages are for a cashier...in any case I'm sure it's not enough to singularly support a family.

eta: from a few different sources, it seems like the average wage of a Wal-Mart employee is about $10/hr.

My mom just got a job at Wal Mart as a cashier and she is making between $7-$8 as a part-timer. As Indra said minimum is 5.15

And I know people who work there and have worked there and the average $10 figure is about right but it's all relative to experience.

It's better than K-Mart. That's all that matter to me. (Not a single decent store for miles around where I live).

sorry tre. :( Not wal-mart specifically but a lot of the places my dad's worked at over the past few years have screwed us out of health insurance. :slant:

I guess what I'm saying is...
1. For them to change their policies, people would have to stop shopping there in large numbers.
2. As long as they have such low prices, people are going to continue to shop there in large numbers.

VertigoGal said:
sorry tre. :( Not wal-mart specifically but a lot of the places my dad's worked at over the past few years have screwed us out of health insurance. :slant:

I guess what I'm saying is...
1. For them to change their policies, people would have to stop shopping there in large numbers.
2. As long as they have such low prices, people are going to continue to shop there in large numbers.

that's sucks about your health insurance too :(

i know it's not a big deal to them but if i shop there then i'd be giving them money, maybe not much but (to overuse a cliche) "every little bit helps" :shrug: i can only hope people on a wide scale stop shopping there, I can be 100% sure I don't shop there.

and i'm not mad at you :wink:

i rarely shop there

and have been thinking of going to their competitors

but, i believe if their business went down 10-15 %
they might just take more away from their employees

deep said:
i rarely shop there

and have been thinking of going to their competitors

but, i believe if their business went down 10-15 %
they might just take more away from their employees

i'd say go to the competitors :up: myabe they'd take more away from the employees if the profits dipped that much but who knows what they'd do :shrug:

I wonder about target...there is a new super target in the area. has a pizza hut AND a starbucks! :drool:

:wink:

the prices are very reasonable, I don't know exactly how big of a price difference there is or how they treat their employees.

Whatever happend to the small shops, those are far more fun than those consume temple`s .

Target treats thier employees like total crap:|

<---ex employee when I lived near Boston

they are SO unbelievable! if you have a disagreement with them:mad: I quit after 1 week it was such an insanely stupid place to be.

Last edited:
Rono said:
Whatever happend to the small shops, those are far more fun than those consume temple`s .

thats a huge issue in my state..Vermont. I think we have 2 walmarts in the whole state. THey wanted to build on near here...but the people fought it so much they never did.

Vermont is always battling walmart...

Rono said:

Sometimes I wonder if it's all kind of tied into the minimum wage and cost of living these days. 50 years ago, people made a lot less money, but relative to the cost of good and cost of living, they were better off. 50 years ago, you could actually save enough money to pay for a car or college education in cash. Now, the minimum wage is only 5.15 and hr while the cost of living in the US has gone up exponentially. As a college student who's already $50,000 in debt b/c of a $20,000/yr education, I simply can't afford to make the choice to pay slightly more to shop and the smaller local shops than places like Walmart or Target.

In Grand Rapids (second biggest city in Michigan) we don't have a single Walmart. There's a Sam's Club, but that;s different b/c you have to pay for membership, and there's a few Walmarts out in the 'burbs, but we have a local chain called Meijer. It started as a smaller local grocery and now they're in Michian, Indiana and maybe even Ohion and Illinois. It's a huge grocery store w/ everything, like Walmart and Target, but has better produce and even though it's big and is turning into a bigger chain, the owner known locally for giving a LOT to charity and philanthropic things (but not requiring his name to be put on everything like the De Vos' and Van Andels).

Dismantled said:

Target can't be any better. When I was going to college, I applied there for a part time job and I was turned down at the interview. It was explained to me that my hours weren't flexible enough for them. I couldn't work mornings and Sundays. Everything else was open. :| And, I have retaill experiance, some directly in a customer service department, and some spent in a managerial position.

Anyone who has ever worked retail can tell that's a bad sign. And the Targets in my area have an extremely high turnover, most of the employees can usually be found being loud, rude and surrounded by what I can only assume are their friends.

Wal-Mart isn't the only place of it's kind. It is pretty much like every other retail store. Cheaper labor means higher profits. It just happens to be carrying the high profile right now.

Rono said:

I like small shops, too. :up:.

But, smaller shops tend to carry higher quality items that not everyone can afford or are just not willing to pay for.

And convenience seems to mean everything in America. Small shops simply can't compete with places that can stay open 24 hours a day.

I cannot STAND Wal Mart. That Sam dude lied saying everything was made in the USA. I don't like K-Mart either. I prefer Target. I don't go to big Malls because people just get so stupid in them in crowds and walking around like zombies. I prefer smaller shops....drive up, park in front, get what I need and get the hell out! Or mail order. Amazon.com rules!

Back
Top Bottom