Welcome to China land of the free and the censored.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreadsox

ONE love, blood, life
The Rolling Stones were told they cannot play Brown Sugar, Honky Tonk Woman, Beast of Burden and Let's Spend the Night Together, said Chen Jixin, head of Beijing Time New Century Entertainment.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/2842343.stm

What is wrong with these songs? I am confused!!!!!

China is opening up huh? Allowing Western Civilization in!

It's a difference in value systems. We're having bits of 'The Hours' cut when it comes down here (Singapore). Much as I hate to say it, we're still quite conservative in our Asian values.

As for the songs, as far as I can tell, they're pretty provocative in an Asian context (even I balked when I first read the lyrics of Brown Sugar, which I really ought to download. :D). It's a difference in value systems. It may seem alright to you, but for most people who believe in this so-called "Asian value system" it isn't.

P.S. I've tried to be as objective as possible, and I don't mean to stereotype anyone in any way.

There are different values in Asian cultures, just as there are different values in African cultures as opposed to European value systems. These in turn are different from American value systems! There are many different value systems all over the globe and it's a challenge to understand them all. But we really should try.

Back
Top Bottom