We will never forget

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bonoman

Refugee
For those of you not aware of the tragedy that occured last week four RCMP were kiled by a man in a small town outside of Edmonton, ALberta. Here is an article on the memorial.

C B C . C A N e w s - F u l l S t o r y :
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Memorial honours Mounties 'who have given everything'
Last Updated Thu, 10 Mar 2005 21:52:46 EST
CBC News
EDMONTON - As RCMP officers bowed their heads and blinked away tears, the haunting bugle notes of the Last Post hung over the final moments of a memorial service for four constables gunned down in the line of duty last week.

Thousands of police officers, mourners and dignitaries gathered inside an Edmonton pavilion to honour Constables Peter Schiemann, Leo Johnston, Anthony Gordon and Brock Myrol in the largest memorial service in the Mounties' history.

The officers were shot and killed while investigating stolen property and a marijuana grow operation last Thursday near Mayerthorpe, Alta. Their killer, James Roszko, also shot himself.

RCMP Cpl. Joan Kuyp, RCMP Const. Joe Sangster, RCMP Const. Bethany Hoskin, and RCMP Const. Jason Lapointe (left to right), march the headdresses of their fallen fellow officers during a national memorial service. (CP photo)
After two hours of eulogies and tributes, thousands of officers put on their hats and saluted four members as they carried the RCMP flag through the crowd, followed by the red-clad honour guard.

"He just had good quirks. He was just helpful to everybody," said Const. Mark Heathcote, who trained with Brock Myrol.

As many as 10,000 police officers from across the country and the United States crammed into the University of Alberta's Butterdome Thursday to witness the ceremony, which was broadcast nationally.

Gov. Gen. Adrienne Clarkson praised the Mounties' service during the two-hour memorial, urging all to "remember those who have given everything."

"We are here as Canadians to give what consolation we can," she said, referring to the families of the officers. "We know you may feel no consolation is possible yet we offer it all the same."

Prime Minister Paul Martin said all Canadians owe a debt to the four men.

"We are left numb that a single act of hate has affected so many lives, caused so much grief," he said.

"They have fallen in service to us."

Friends, family offer moving tributes

Family and friends of the four officers also remembered the men in moving tributes, describing their pride in belonging to the RCMP, then standing silently in front of the men's portraits for one last goodbye.

Schiemann's father, Rev. Don Schiemann, said his son had told him a year ago that if something ever happened to him, he wanted people to hear about Jesus and hear about hope.

"Const. Peter Schiemann, my son, I carried out your wish this afternoon," he said.

"Peter, we will see you in heaven, but we can hardly wait," he said.

Const. Lee Johnson said his brother Leo fought to the end and that he would always think of his twin sibling as "my brother, my best friend and the most important person in my life."

Const. Barrie Baskerville spoke of Gordon, evoking his 28-year-old friend's competitive nature and big heart, his love for his wife, young son and unborn child.

"He was a friendly giant of a man," Baskerville said of his six-foot-four friend. "He had a big smile and a bigger heart."

Rev. Art Hundeby, speaking of Myrol, who had only recently graduated, said the 29-year-old always set the bar high and then leaped over it.

"Brock wanted to make a difference. He so desired to be part of the solution and that's why he decided a career with the RCMP was the next bar to jump."

(CBC/Katherine Walker)
The memorial service was marked by performances by Ian Tyson, Susan Aglukark and Tom Jackson. Tyson played an acoustical version of his song Four Strong Winds; Aglukark sang the 1970s Fleetwood Mac song Songbird and Jackson sang Amazing Grace.

In Mayerthorpe, residents gathered around TV sets and radios to watch or listen to the memorial.

"There are going to be a lot of sad days ahead for a lot of us," said Leo Bablitz, who owns a hardward store in town.

Thousands march 1 km to memorial

Earlier, the four brown Stetsons of the officers were carried through a solemn sea of red serge and gently set below the slain Mounties' portraits.

The officers bearing the hats on black pillows walked side by side inside the Butterdome before placing them on four RCMP horse blankets, which lay in front of the official portraits of the dead officers.

The officers – all close friends of the slain Mounties – then saluted their fallen comrades.

Earlier, thousands of serge-clad Mounties, led by some on horseback, solemnly marched. Police officers from across Canada and the U.S. also joined the procession that meandered one kilometre down the street from a city park to the Butterdome.

Smaller services were being held across Canada.

FROM MARCH 9, 2005: Man who shot officers made calls to CBC: RCMP

People in Edmonton offered up their homes as police arrived into the city Wednesday. So many residents have opened their homes for visiting officers, the RCMP has had to ask them to stop calling.

For those of you who don't know...I work as a Police Dispatcher/911 Operator at a R.C.M.P. Detachment and last week was one of the hardest to work. While I was not personally involved in the incident I work with several Mounties who knew and were friends with those officers who were murdered.

At our office alone we received hundreds of phone calls from the public offering their condolences and many others brought in flowers and cards expressing their sympathy.

It's nice to know that so many people care - Thank you

:heart:

Thank you all!!

I would just like to say, though i know really noone i know here thinks like this, but, the RCMP is made fun of as a joke, or as something everyone outside of Canada connects with Canada. But the RCMP is the only National, Prov. and Municipal police force in the world and they are much respected around my part and fair dues to them because they do some of the most diffucult work!!

God rest these bhoys souls!!! lets them know what they did down here is what we could only hope that we could have the courage to do!

Back
Top Bottom