We are living in neo-McCarthy, post-democratic times.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreadsox

ONE love, blood, life
Question: Why are you speaking out against this war in Iraq?

Janeane Garofalo: I'm so public about this because I've been asked to do so and because I painfully felt that the anti-war movement was being ignored. So it was a combination of those two things. If I thought the anti-war movement was getting proper coverage in the mainstream media, I would have said no. You don't need actors to make this a mockery.

But as it became abundantly clear that no one was getting on TV talking about this, and when I was specifically approached by the founders of Win Without War and some people at MoveOn.org, I said yes. And I wasn't reluctant about it. I can't stand watching history roll right over us. It's like they're asking you to bend over, put your head in the sand, and put a flag in your ass.

Q: Have you felt a backlash from speaking out?

Garofalo: Ohmigod. It's ridic. I'm not saying that it's just me, it's everybody who's spoken out. The press has wasted America's time, an inordinate amount of time, with celebrity bashing.

First of all, why are you wasting time celebrity bashing? Don't book me. Don't put me on your show. You have a choice. You can book a guest you can respect or you can respect the guest you book.

They love to pretend that if you are in entertainment, that's what defines you and you can't possibly have any knowledge of what's going on in the news. So you have grown adult anchors and media people who are literally acting like twelve year olds, saying, "You shut up. You don't know anything." Literally treating you with the contempt of a schoolyard bully.

Q: You've been on CNN, MSNBC, and Fox speaking out against the war. How has that gone?

Garofalo: On the one hand, it's so bad that it's enjoyable. Some of the anchors or journalists or whatever you want to call them, personalities, have been kind and it's been fine. But for the most part, you just have to defend yourself. You don't get a chance to have a real debate. You don't get a chance to discuss anything. You defend your position, defend your career choice, defend your patriotism, defend your intelligence level, and then no information has been disseminated to people watching the show.

Q: Have you gotten a lot of hate mail?

Garofalo: Oh shit, yeah. I had to change my home phone number. A lot of the hate mail I get is clearly misogynist. I am a proud liberal, feminist woman, and the hate mail I get for those three things is not about me. It's about those signifiers, and about what the right in this country has managed to do to perpetuate anger over what they mean.

Then there is a lot of the hate mail that says actors are too wealthy to understand what's going on. The actors live in Hollywood, all this kind of nonsense. Do they realize how wealthy the Bush family is or the Cheney family? The Ashcrofts? Bill O'Reilly? Tom Brokaw? Do they realize that if you are talking about the Administration now, Bush and Cheney in particular, the life of privilege, wealth, and elitism they have lived? If you are going to talk about somebody not understanding the common man, then look no further than the Beltway.

It is shocking that some people's lives are enriched by this nonsense--these boycotts and e-mails. They are proving themselves to be fundamentally anti-American and anti-democratic. They are against the First Amendment, so what are they defending? Unless they are trying to build a fascist Administration, unless they are trying to bring the American people to a point that we exist under a totalitarian regime.

Q: What's your opinion on the current state of the mainstream media?

Garofalo: The mainstream media has, in my opinion, been so grossly negligent, so disturbingly devoid of authentic debate, and actual dissemination of information. They are, in theory, the custodians of fact, the watchdogs of government. That's the theory. At a time as important as this, they have absolutely rolled over to the conservative hawkish agenda.

The parents of the troops who die and the parents of Iraqi civilians who die should have the right to slap a lot of these media outlets with a suit of criminal negligence. Military parents would have a legitimate case, especially against Fox and the New York Post for cheerleading this thing the whole way, for waving the flag, and using knee-jerk, sycophantic, pseudo-patriotism as a tool to galvanize public opinion.

That brings us to some of the rightwing pundits who dominate the radio, like Mike Savage, or some of the commentators at Fox--the Ann Coulters, what have you. I think what they do is they turn their own personal issues--whether they be racist, homophobic, sexist, xenophobic, or imperialistic--and they wrap them in the flag and hide them behind Jesus.

Q: Did you have a political awakening?

Garofalo: I've always been interested, I guess, in politics. I've always been interested in American history. I've always been interested in what's going on in my world. I protested Operation Desert Fox. I've always been interested in feminist causes and social justice causes.

Q: How do you react when people say you are brave to speak out?

Garofalo: What's brave about it? There's nothing brave in saying, "Hey, I don't think this is right." There's nothing brave about saying, "I feel we are not functioning under a true democracy, I feel like we are being manipulated." That's not brave, that's common sense. I guess it's brave to go on television. It's certainly brave and sadomasochistic to go on Fox. But my choice is either I can yell at Fox on my couch or I can get in there and voice my opinion.

Q: Do you think it's possible to have a liberal media network?

Garofalo: It is possible. What's not possible is to penetrate the wall of opposition. The myth is it can't work. Phil Donahue was working, but MSNBC took it off for their own rightwing agenda.

A liberal radio network can easily work. What will accompany it, unfortunately, will be an overwhelming opposition to it in the mainstream media and by the punditocrity. Again, a lot of these pundits just sit around on these chat shows and repeat each other. They repeat phrases and words, and the news cannibalizes itself.

Q: What about the rumor that you might be involved in a new liberal radio talk show?

Garofalo: I don't know. I've been talking to Jon Sinton, who is trying to get this going. I am certainly willing to hear him out and go forward if it looks like something with integrity.

Q: Are there any sit-coms in your future?

Garofalo: I don't know. I'm working on one for ABC. It's going to be shot in Vancouver. But it's not a done deal; we're just shooting the pilot. But with all this anti-war stuff, you never know.

Q: Tell me about your involvement in The Laramie Project. In this recent HBO film, you played Catherine Connolly. Who was she?

Garofalo: She was one of the first out professors at the University of Wyoming. She was vocally and proudly out. She also was instrumental in the activism that sprang up in the wake of the Matthew Shepard murder.

Q: Did you enjoy working on the film?

Garofalo: I did. I had a wonderful time. I was only on it for a few days, but it was such a great cast and great project. Everybody wanted to do it.

When we were in Laramie shooting, there was opposition from Laramie citizens who continued to gay bash. And that sort of dangerous activity is not being helped by the current state of our media.

Q: Do you seek out political roles? You also played Anita Hoffman in Steal This Movie.

Garofalo: No, I'm not seeking them out, but I'm always pleased when they come my way. I certainly prefer to do stuff like that, but it's few and far between.

People used to tell me stuff about FBI surveillance and infiltration when I was doing the Abbie Hoffman movie. I interviewed Anita Hoffman, America Hoffman, Tom Hayden, and some of the other people who were involved with the Chicago 8 trial. They would tell me stories, and I would think, "Oh, brother." I thought these guys were exaggerating for effect or had that kind of '60s radical thing going on. There's no way that the FBI is going to attempt to sell them pot, or is going undercover as a doorman in their building. There's no way, I don't buy it. But now that I've seen what John Ashcroft is capable of, I realize, it's true.

Q: Are you expecting a blacklist to come out in Hollywood?

Garofalo: No. Plus the fact that I'm on the Hollywood "rarely works" list, so to blacklist me would be extraordinary. It would be an actual compliment to be blacklisted because I barely work. Actually my career is much more focused on stand-up. I haven't really been involved in acting since 2000.

I don't actively seek out acting work anymore. Not that I wouldn't love to get good parts, but I bowed out of that because it's not worth the rat race. I don't go to the gym. I'm thirty-eight years old. I don't care to invest the time and energy to perfecting my physical appearance so that I'm at least acceptable to play the waitress. It is of no concern to me.

Q: Have you lost work for your anti-war position?

Garofalo: I have. And that's irrelevant to me. I actually lost a potentially lucrative job as the voice for a software company. That's OK. It's no big loss in the big picture. Nobody gives a shit whether I'm the voice of it or not. The more I became involved with the anti-war movement, the more it was clear that they were not going to use me. That's fine. That's their choice.

But the point is I'm not sorry for speaking out for my First Amendment rights. I'm not sorry that I have demanded that my news do its job. I'm not sorry about that. This will potentially be one of the worst chapters in American history that will go on for twenty or thirty years, until democracy, in some fashion, is established.

Q: How did you get started in stand-up comedy?

Garofalo: I started in 1985 when I was in college. I had always been a fan, growing up, of stand-up comedy: George Carlin albums, Cheech and Chong albums, Nichols and May, Mort Sahl.

Q: What do you get out of being a comedian?

Garofalo: I get a lot out of it. It's great to have a voice that people actually pay money to come see. When I bomb it's not great, but especially when I was on tour as the sabers were being rattled, as we were moving closer to Iraq, it was fantastic to get into it with people all across America.

Q: How did the audience respond to your speaking out against the war?

Garofalo: Completely polarized, just like America. Completely polarized. You had some people who were absolutely ecstatic to hear it and some people who walked out, booed, and threw things. It's that emotional.

Q: What's your opinion of political comedy these days?

Garofalo: I think it's fantastic.

Q: Where do you look for it? Where do you go?

Garofalo: The Lower East Side is fantastic. Austin, Texas. Boston. There's great comedy going on in L.A., but not in the comedy clubs per se. Russell Simmons and Def Poetry Jam are fantastic. The Daily Show and The Onion are doing great political comedy.

Q: What's your opinion of Saturday Night Live these days?

Garofalo: It's certainly a very talented cast. But they've been too tame on politics. It's not the cast and writers. I know them, and I know that some of them are upset about it. There's a lot of voices that are not being heard at 30 Rock. Whether it's coming from Lorne Michaels, or NBC, or the parent company of NBC, I don't know. They have tried to do some stuff. They do some stuff that is very intelligent, savvy, hilarious, and really gets the point across. But for the most part, some of the voices of dissent over there have been sat upon.

Q: Do you have plans to tour again?

Garofalo: No. I was on tour for a year and a half. I always do it locally, but I have no plans to travel at this point, in part because nothing's funny to me.

Q: Why is that?

Garofalo: There's been such an assault on democracy here, and the mainstream media is complicit in it. We are living in neo-McCarthy, post-democratic times. Democracy is being criminalized. Democracy is being ignored.

Millions of people around the world were marching for peace before the war actually happened. This was historically unprecedented. And it has been basically ignored and marginalized by the mainstream media. The President has openly said that he doesn't make policy by focus group. First of all, eight million people are not a focus group. And he sure does make policy by focus group, and it's called the Christian right.I never imagined this would be my life.

I never imagined that I would never care about dumb things anymore. I never imagined I'd be a person who could transcend that kind of nonsense. But beyond that, I never imagined I would be penalized for speaking out in favor of social justice. I never thought that anyone who spoke out for peace, and diplomacy, and social justice would be pilloried.

I'm frequently depressed, just have a general malaise. And I don't mean a malaise of indifference, I mean a malaise of sadness and fear. I've always been alarmed by some of the things that the mainstream media does and by what the government does, no matter who's in office, but the broken heart is new.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Elizabeth DiNovella is Culture Editor of The Progressive. http://www.progressive.org/may03/intv0503.html

I so want to comment on this, but my response is potentially part of my master's thesis work. Potentially. I'm working on finalizing my topic in the next week.

Melon

What a load of nonsense. The hypocrisy dripping from Ms. Garofalo?s words is astounding on so many points.

Free Speech. I guess the elitist in Ms. Garofalo expects everyone to shut up and agree with her position. Any speech contrary to hers is deemed ?backlash,? ?anti-democratic,? ?against the First Amendment,? and even ?anti-American?. The charge that disagreement with a position is wrong is usually levied against supporters of an administration. I guess it only applies when it is convenient for Ms. Garofalo.

McCarthyism. Ms. Garofalo must be too young to remember what the term really means. She has fully embraced the new national pastime of victimization. In one sentence she states she is not actively seeking acting work. Then she says her stance has cost her work. Hollywood actors lose work for a variety of reasons, including public perception. There is a difference between holding a position, expressing a position, and making outlandish statements for the sake of publicity. Ms Garofalo made appearances on many news outlets and made many hyperbole-filled statements for the sake of her own publicity.

Like any good liberal, she couldn?t complete her statements without taking a shot at the ?Christian right?. I hope she feels better every time she, in a broad-brush stroke, demonizes people who live by faith. I hope she finds it empowering.

I?d like to hear her views on tolerance.

I'm distressed about what's going on in this country. There's alot of intolerance on both the right and the left. I'm hearing way too much of the word "idiot". My feeling is that if you want to support the government, fine. If you don't want to that's fine too. That's the way it's supposed to be. It shouldn't matter if you're a celebrity or a garbage collector. My work-mates supported the war. I had reservations about it myself. And as far as I'm concerned the state of post-war Iraq is such is that the jury is still out on the success of the operation. If they can have a democratic state, great. It's not there yet. I'm not sure it will be.

Nbcrusader,

As far as Ms. Gerafalo is concerned, yeah I've liked some of her works and really disliked others. And as far as we know, you're right, we'll never know if she lost work due to her stance.

But can you honestly say with a straight face that a form of McCarthyism isn't happening in today's society? Bush says if you aren't with us, you're with the enemy, and people have fallen for it. Celebrities are getting death threats due to their out spoken threats, last time I recall, this wasn't considered free speech. Hell a guy here in Dallas, has recieved death threats due to anti-war, pro troops sign in his front yard. Businesses are being vandalized and shut down due to the fact that they had France or French in their name. And then you have legislation being passed like the Patriot Act that will make it easier for the government now to get involved in the action towards the ones they find a "traitor". It may not be in full force right now where individuals are being put on trial, but the feeling in the air can definatly move to that if people don't stop to think.

And as far as the "Christian Right" comment. Come on groups like the Christian Coalition are not people I would consider "people who live by faith". These are fanatics. They are using religion to justify their own hatreds. When they get on TV and say that God let 9/11 happen to us because of the homosexuals in America, this is not faith based living.

The practice of publicizing accusations of political disloyalty due to a differencing of opinion and lack of evidence is happening.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
And as far as the "Christian Right" comment. Come on groups like the Christian Coalition are not people I would consider "people who live by faith". These are fanatics. They are using religion to justify their own hatreds. When they get on TV and say that God let 9/11 happen to us because of the homosexuals in America, this is not faith based living.

Amen. These people make me embarrassed to be a follower of the same religion. They preach hatred, intolerance and stand for everything that is repugnant about the world today. They can hide behind their faith and their Bibles and sanctimony, but I will call them on it every time because to shut up and take it would be promoting a complacency in allowing them to hijack our religion and steer it on a course I have no interest in.

anitram said:

Amen. These people make me embarrassed to be a follower of the same religion. They preach hatred, intolerance and stand for everything that is repugnant about the world today. They can hide behind their faith and their Bibles and sanctimony, but I will call them on it every time because to shut up and take it would be promoting a complacency in allowing them to hijack our religion and steer it on a course I have no interest in.

I agree. I don't think people who claim that 9/11 happened because of gays are "living by faith". They don't represent me. I don't want them to hijack our religion. It's mine too.

anitram said:

There are a lot of "these people" and "theys" in your statement. As a Christian and a conservative, I find the blanket statements just as hateful.

I hear a growing call for Christians to live by the "entire gospel". Seeking personal holiness and social justice. Evangelism and service. The Bible is not a menu, it is a life manual.

nbcrusader said:
I hear a growing call for Christians to live by the "entire gospel". Seeking personal holiness and social justice. Evangelism and service. The Bible is not a menu, it is a life manual.

Nice thought, but even fundamentalists pick and choose. It's an exultation of their cultural and moral tradition, not an actual desire to know the Bible. Otherwise, they would not be so disdainful of independent scholars, who question how certain passages are interpreted and translated. Fundamentalism is heavily guilty of 19th century style romanticism.

Melon

nbcrusader said:
No one since Jesus has cornered the market on living the perfect Christian life.

I agree, which is why I have a problem when some Christians like to exult themselves over others.

Melon

As one of the 5th graders brought up a few weeks ago, "For whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted." Matthew 23:12

Janeane Garofalo is simply frustrated by the fact that the vast majority of Americans have rejected her position on the war. This is why she is crying McCarthy. By the way, did she send Bush the flowers that she promised she would if the war went well?

If private citizens choose to not buy French, that is their right. If they choose not to work or hire someone because of their political views, that is their right. Its their right to pick whom they work with or hire for a job for their business or what ever.

Because a majority of Americans support the war and some are vocal in ways the anti-war movement does not like but are perfectly legal, does not mean we live in an age of McCarthyism!

Janeane Garofalo should ask John McCain what freedom is. John McCain knows better than most people what freedom is because he lived without it for years.

Why do we constantly have to play this "majority" crap? Just because the mob believes something, it doesn't mean it is right. Whether it is a majority support or not will not affect whether or not the U.S. is becoming "McCarthyist," although that is a bit extreme.

I would get more involved in this discussion, but I do not want to compromise the originality of my potential thesis topic.

Melon

Dreadsox said:

That brings us to some of the rightwing pundits who dominate the radio, like Mike Savage, or some of the commentators at Fox--the Ann Coulters, what have you. I think what they do is they turn their own personal issues--whether they be racist, homophobic, sexist, xenophobic, or imperialistic--and they wrap them in the flag and hide them behind Jesus.
[/URL]

:eyebrow:

Hello, Mike Savage and An Coulters are Jewish if I am not mistaken!!!!!!!

I think she is happily shooting her mouth off without her brain being loaded. After reading and rereading this article I want ask if this was a comedy bit she is working on.

Mike Savage and Ann Coulters "Hide behind Jesus" ??????? :lol:

Does their Rabbi know?

If private citizens choose to not buy French, that is their right. If they choose not to work or hire someone because of their political views, that is their right. Its their right to pick whom they work with or hire for a job for their business or what ever.

Choosing not to buy products because they are French. Perfectly legal, stupid, but legal. Throwing rocks through windows, vandalism and other such actions causing businesses to shut down temporaily or even permanately...not right or legal.

Not hiring an individual due to political beliefs is not legal.

I'm sorry but I do believe there is the beginning of a wave of censorship, advanced by people like Mike Savage (he is evil).

I received this e-mail from my very conservative though not religious Uncle. Now I never thought Peter Jennings was particulary liberal or one-sided, except in comparison to Fox.

Goodbye to Peter Jennings:

Lets all say "goodbye" to Peter Jennings. How can a man possibly hate the United States as much as he does? He constantly finds fault with our actions and uses his news program to find fault with our leaders. His thoughts and actions seem to be aligned to the country where he is a citizen---CANADA.
One wonders why he stays in our country if it so bad. One reason may be that here he can be paid six million a year.Not a bad salary for a person who wants to live here but refuses to become a U.S. citizen.

How do we get rid of him? Let's start by boycotting his evening news program. Lets see if we can spread this e-mail to several million people and all begin to boycott his program beginning on April 2,2003. I did not propose April 1st as I want him to know that this is no joke. If we are successful in our boycott then his advertising revenues will fall to the point that he will be replaced and be free to leave our country.

Just to show how considerate I am----I will be willing to support him being hired by a new company---as long as it is where he can fit in very easily---like France. Send this to everyone in your address book.

I could not believe this crap was actually going around. It's insane and to me a horrible sign of things to come. Tolerance seems to be forgotten.

"Throwing rocks through windows, vandalism and other such actions causing businesses to shut down temporaily or even permanately...not right or legal."

Something members of the anti-war crowd should heed.

"Not hiring an individual due to political beliefs is not legal."

So its illegal for someone to hire a guy to fix things in their house because they like him and agree with his political views?

Just a thought on the is it legal or illegal to hire/not hire a person because of their political views...would we argue it's okay to discriminate against a person because of their religious views? Is it okay to refuse to hire Jewish people? Is it okay to only hire Christians? Is it okay to boycott businesses owned by Muslims?

I believe very strongly that it's not okay to discriminate against people for their religious beliefs and I think we should extend that to a person's political beliefs.

STING2:

i agree with you, both sides should be sentenced if they destroy property of others.

I also agree that individuals should have the right to choose whatever they want to buy and whomever they want to contract (no matter how stupid their reasons might be, they should have the free choice)

If your government itself reconsiders contracts because they want to boycot France or German countries because they didn't agree with them politically i guess that's bad style.

Klaus

if people were blacklisting her because they claimed she was anti-war, when she actually wasn't... then you might say that she's been a victim of mccarthyism.

mccarthyism- The practice of publicizing accusations of political disloyalty or subversion with insufficient regard to evidence.

there's no insufficient regard to evidence here... she's anti-war, and the other people are pro-war. mccarthy was accusing people of being communists for no reason. "backlash" against celbrities who use their pedestal to voice their opinion isn't mccarthyism, it's simply a practice of our own first ammendment rights. it's simply not agreeing with the person.

and correct me if i'm wrong, but i don't exactly remember seeing garofalo lighting up the screens before the whole war debate happened. she's a b-list celeb who hasn't had any significant work in 10 years as it is, and now she's claimming mccarthyism and that she can't get any real work because of her political beliefs. whoopty doo.

So its illegal for someone to hire a guy to fix things in their house because they like him and agree with his political views?

Nice twisting of words...no it's illegal to not hire one who is qualified when you find out their political beliefs aren't that of yours. Just like religion, handicap, etc.

mccarthyism- The practice of publicizing accusations of political disloyalty or subversion with insufficient regard to evidence.
there's no insufficient regard to evidence here... she's anti-war, and the other people are pro-war. mccarthy was accusing people of being communists for no reason. "backlash" against celbrities who use their pedestal to voice their opinion isn't mccarthyism, it's simply a practice of our own first ammendment rights. it's simply not agreeing with the person.

No, you are missing the point. The point is not if she's anti-war or not. The point is people collectively are saying that if you are anti-war then you are anti-american. They are accusing people of being anti-american. This is where the "insufficent regard to evidence" lies...

BonoVoxSupastar,

"Nice twisting of words...no it's illegal to not hire one who is qualified when you find out their political beliefs aren't that of yours. Just like religion, handicap, etc."

So its illegal for the Jewish family to give the business of mowing their lawn to the Jewish boy down the street rather than the Christian boy?

"No, you are missing the point. The point is not if she's anti-war or not. The point is people collectively are saying that if you are anti-war then you are anti-american. They are accusing people of being anti-american. This is where the "insufficent regard to evidence" lies..."

I wonder if you would give George Bush the same treatment in regards to the "insufficent regard to evidence" lies" that have been thrown at him since he ran for President?

STING2 said:
So its illegal for the Jewish family to give the business of mowing their lawn to the Jewish boy down the street rather than the Christian boy?

I can't comment on whether that's strictly illegal or not, but I don't think it's a good illustration of the points being raised in this discussion. A family deciding to hire a teenager to mow their lawn because they know him because they are of the same religion is completely different to a business refusing to hire Muslims, or another business only hiring Jews.

Surely we can agree that discrimination on religious grounds is wrong, even if we don't all agree about discrimination due to political beliefs. Surely everyone believes it's wrong if a Muslim can't get a job because every business in his area refuses to hire Muslims. Surely everyone believes a Jewish person deserves protection from being fired from their job because their boss is anti-semitic.

Back
Top Bottom