We are living in neo-McCarthy, post-democratic times. - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-02-2003, 04:40 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 03:26 PM
Janeane Garofalo is simply frustrated by the fact that the vast majority of Americans have rejected her position on the war. This is why she is crying McCarthy. By the way, did she send Bush the flowers that she promised she would if the war went well?

If private citizens choose to not buy French, that is their right. If they choose not to work or hire someone because of their political views, that is their right. Its their right to pick whom they work with or hire for a job for their business or what ever.

Because a majority of Americans support the war and some are vocal in ways the anti-war movement does not like but are perfectly legal, does not mean we live in an age of McCarthyism!

Janeane Garofalo should ask John McCain what freedom is. John McCain knows better than most people what freedom is because he lived without it for years.

Old 05-02-2003, 05:02 PM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:26 AM
Why do we constantly have to play this "majority" crap? Just because the mob believes something, it doesn't mean it is right. Whether it is a majority support or not will not affect whether or not the U.S. is becoming "McCarthyist," although that is a bit extreme.

I would get more involved in this discussion, but I do not want to compromise the originality of my potential thesis topic.

Melon

Old 05-02-2003, 05:18 PM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Re: We are living in neo-McCarthy, post-democratic times.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox

That brings us to some of the rightwing pundits who dominate the radio, like Mike Savage, or some of the commentators at Fox--the Ann Coulters, what have you. I think what they do is they turn their own personal issues--whether they be racist, homophobic, sexist, xenophobic, or imperialistic--and they wrap them in the flag and hide them behind Jesus.
[/URL]

Hello, Mike Savage and An Coulters are Jewish if I am not mistaken!!!!!!!

I think she is happily shooting her mouth off without her brain being loaded. After reading and rereading this article I want ask if this was a comedy bit she is working on.

Mike Savage and Ann Coulters "Hide behind Jesus" ???????

Does their Rabbi know?
Old 05-02-2003, 05:29 PM   #19
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:26 AM
Quote:
If private citizens choose to not buy French, that is their right. If they choose not to work or hire someone because of their political views, that is their right. Its their right to pick whom they work with or hire for a job for their business or what ever.
Choosing not to buy products because they are French. Perfectly legal, stupid, but legal. Throwing rocks through windows, vandalism and other such actions causing businesses to shut down temporaily or even permanately...not right or legal.

Not hiring an individual due to political beliefs is not legal.
Old 05-02-2003, 05:37 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:26 AM
No one condones illegal behavior, whether it is destruction of property or sending of death threats.
Old 05-02-2003, 05:58 PM   #21
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

You and I don't, but obviously there are those that do.
Old 05-03-2003, 11:13 AM   #22
New Yorker

I'm sorry but I do believe there is the beginning of a wave of censorship, advanced by people like Mike Savage (he is evil).

I received this e-mail from my very conservative though not religious Uncle. Now I never thought Peter Jennings was particulary liberal or one-sided, except in comparison to Fox.

Goodbye to Peter Jennings:

Lets all say "goodbye" to Peter Jennings. How can a man possibly hate the United States as much as he does? He constantly finds fault with our actions and uses his news program to find fault with our leaders. His thoughts and actions seem to be aligned to the country where he is a citizen---CANADA.
One wonders why he stays in our country if it so bad. One reason may be that here he can be paid six million a year.Not a bad salary for a person who wants to live here but refuses to become a U.S. citizen.

How do we get rid of him? Let's start by boycotting his evening news program. Lets see if we can spread this e-mail to several million people and all begin to boycott his program beginning on April 2,2003. I did not propose April 1st as I want him to know that this is no joke. If we are successful in our boycott then his advertising revenues will fall to the point that he will be replaced and be free to leave our country.

Just to show how considerate I am----I will be willing to support him being hired by a new company---as long as it is where he can fit in very easily---like France. Send this to everyone in your address book.

I could not believe this crap was actually going around. It's insane and to me a horrible sign of things to come. Tolerance seems to be forgotten.
Old 05-03-2003, 12:27 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

OMG, that's horrible about the Peter Jennings thing. I hate stuff like this.
Old 05-04-2003, 05:19 AM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

"Throwing rocks through windows, vandalism and other such actions causing businesses to shut down temporaily or even permanately...not right or legal."

Something members of the anti-war crowd should heed.

"Not hiring an individual due to political beliefs is not legal."

So its illegal for someone to hire a guy to fix things in their house because they like him and agree with his political views?
Old 05-04-2003, 07:46 AM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

Just a thought on the is it legal or illegal to hire/not hire a person because of their political views...would we argue it's okay to discriminate against a person because of their religious views? Is it okay to refuse to hire Jewish people? Is it okay to only hire Christians? Is it okay to boycott businesses owned by Muslims?

I believe very strongly that it's not okay to discriminate against people for their religious beliefs and I think we should extend that to a person's political beliefs.
Old 05-04-2003, 07:54 AM   #26
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Local Time: 04:26 PM
STING2:

i agree with you, both sides should be sentenced if they destroy property of others.

I also agree that individuals should have the right to choose whatever they want to buy and whomever they want to contract (no matter how stupid their reasons might be, they should have the free choice)

If your government itself reconsiders contracts because they want to boycot France or German countries because they didn't agree with them politically i guess that's bad style.

Klaus
Old 05-04-2003, 11:04 AM   #27
Blue Crack Distributor

if people were blacklisting her because they claimed she was anti-war, when she actually wasn't... then you might say that she's been a victim of mccarthyism.

mccarthyism- The practice of publicizing accusations of political disloyalty or subversion with insufficient regard to evidence.

there's no insufficient regard to evidence here... she's anti-war, and the other people are pro-war. mccarthy was accusing people of being communists for no reason. "backlash" against celbrities who use their pedestal to voice their opinion isn't mccarthyism, it's simply a practice of our own first ammendment rights. it's simply not agreeing with the person.

and correct me if i'm wrong, but i don't exactly remember seeing garofalo lighting up the screens before the whole war debate happened. she's a b-list celeb who hasn't had any significant work in 10 years as it is, and now she's claimming mccarthyism and that she can't get any real work because of her political beliefs. whoopty doo.
Old 05-04-2003, 11:35 PM   #28
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
So its illegal for someone to hire a guy to fix things in their house because they like him and agree with his political views?
Nice twisting of words...no it's illegal to not hire one who is qualified when you find out their political beliefs aren't that of yours. Just like religion, handicap, etc.

Quote:
mccarthyism- The practice of publicizing accusations of political disloyalty or subversion with insufficient regard to evidence.
there's no insufficient regard to evidence here... she's anti-war, and the other people are pro-war. mccarthy was accusing people of being communists for no reason. "backlash" against celbrities who use their pedestal to voice their opinion isn't mccarthyism, it's simply a practice of our own first ammendment rights. it's simply not agreeing with the person.
No, you are missing the point. The point is not if she's anti-war or not. The point is people collectively are saying that if you are anti-war then you are anti-american. They are accusing people of being anti-american. This is where the "insufficent regard to evidence" lies...
Old 05-05-2003, 01:25 AM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

BonoVoxSupastar,

"Nice twisting of words...no it's illegal to not hire one who is qualified when you find out their political beliefs aren't that of yours. Just like religion, handicap, etc."

So its illegal for the Jewish family to give the business of mowing their lawn to the Jewish boy down the street rather than the Christian boy?

"No, you are missing the point. The point is not if she's anti-war or not. The point is people collectively are saying that if you are anti-war then you are anti-american. They are accusing people of being anti-american. This is where the "insufficent regard to evidence" lies..."

I wonder if you would give George Bush the same treatment in regards to the "insufficent regard to evidence" lies" that have been thrown at him since he ran for President?
Old 05-05-2003, 07:39 AM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by STING2
So its illegal for the Jewish family to give the business of mowing their lawn to the Jewish boy down the street rather than the Christian boy?
I can't comment on whether that's strictly illegal or not, but I don't think it's a good illustration of the points being raised in this discussion. A family deciding to hire a teenager to mow their lawn because they know him because they are of the same religion is completely different to a business refusing to hire Muslims, or another business only hiring Jews.

Surely we can agree that discrimination on religious grounds is wrong, even if we don't all agree about discrimination due to political beliefs. Surely everyone believes it's wrong if a Muslim can't get a job because every business in his area refuses to hire Muslims. Surely everyone believes a Jewish person deserves protection from being fired from their job because their boss is anti-semitic.