We All Have Ancestors Who Were Slaves - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Old 11-18-2005, 11:54 AM   #46
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 11:51 PM
I think you can see the chain of events here...

Old 11-18-2005, 02:10 PM   #47
Blue Crack Supplier
Local Time: 01:51 AM
Originally posted by nbcrusader
I think you can see the chain of events here...
No actually I don't.

Old 11-18-2005, 06:18 PM   #48
New Yorker
Local Time: 02:51 AM
Originally posted by VertigoGal

I agree, however I don't see how that's what iron horse was implying. Obviously there are tangible effects of the legacy of slavery/discrimination against blacks in this country, and that needs to be discussed.

Maybe I'm being naive, but I simply took the original post as reminding people that slavery historically has been more than white americans against black americans...and keeping that in mind, we can help to end forms of slavery that still exists in other parts of the world.

VertigoGal expresses part of what my first post was trying to get across.

I know that slavery hurt untold million in the past and I don't rate the sins according to a clock.

Whether 2000 years ago or 180 years ago, people were hurt.

Slavery is still going on right now.
That is what I am trying to say here.

"By conservative estimates, 27 million people are enslaved today----more than any time in history."
Old 11-19-2005, 10:07 AM   #49
Location: I live in colombia, with a box of watercolors and butterflies in my tummy
Local Time: 01:51 AM
I have white, native and black ancestors. In colombia ( it was part of the Nueva Granada in the XIX century) the racial dynamics during the colonization period was different. The spanish took the natives as slaves and when they started to die because of the plagues and the hard work they were replaced by black slaves (trying to remember my history class )

many spanish colonizers had family with native and black people and althought that was considered "impure" at the beginning, the process went on.
Old 11-19-2005, 04:25 PM   #50
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 06:51 AM
Originally posted by financeguy

I am not sure when exactly your great-grandparents emigrated but if it was in the nineteenth century, and if they were tenant farmers as opposed to landowners, I am not sure I would agree with your statement that 'they were treated like human beings, not property'. The ordinary Irish at that time had no real freedom, no real rights, tenant farmers had no tenure and could be evicted at the whim of the landlord. This is a form of economic slavery. The way the British treated the Irish in that era was pretty shabby. I think it is actually comparable in some ways to the way the slaves were treated in America.
I agree. The Irish were not treated as people during the Famine, that's for damn sure. They were just a bunch of statistics.