Watch more TV?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cell

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
I find myself not watching tv as much as I used to this past year and a half, in fact, I haven't watched tv at all last year and the beginning of this year also. only do I turn on the tv for the sake of watching u2 on superbowl, u2 on this channel and that channel, Lakers, etc...I don't let my daughter watch TV at all either these days. Too much shit going on that I don't want her to see. If anything, I let her watch PBS Kids. That's it.
Anyways, are there others like me who dont watch TV? is TV bad for you? or the other way around? Any thoughts on this?

------------------
touch me, take me to that other place, teach me, i know i'm not a hopeless case

[This message has been edited by nellie (edited 02-12-2002).]

I watch tv all the time and im okay. It all depends on what you watch. If you watch usless shows (im not gonna say which shows) then tv isn't that good. But if you watch good stuff like the news...even game shows are good.

------------------
Please,
Evil
Acts
Can
End

TV can be educational, especially with networks like PBS, History Channel, Discovery, Learning Channel, A&E, Animal Planet, etc. etc.

TV news doesn't quite cover topics as well as the newspaper, because it needs visuals - and has a short time period to tell the story. But, I don't think TV is bad.

My girlfriend has cable, but I don't even have a tv, per say. Where I live you either have cable or you don't have TV. That's because the antennea reception stinks.

Anyway, I watch Comedy Central when South Park is on, VH1 when they're showing cool music videos, FoxNews for O'Reilly and current events (even thought I get 'real' news from <indymedia.org> ), The Simpsons on fox and sporting events.

I'm very picky about what I watch, so I prefer paying money for a video rental and watching it at my lesiure.

I agree that most stuff on tv is crap. Friends, Will and Grace, and Dan Rather...all crap. Cable offers more intellegent programming, but they also produce more crap than the major network could ever dream of too!

If you take anything in small doses it can?t be bad!! If we?re not talking drugs but that?s a differnt thread!
biggrin.gif

------------------
"PLEBA Mansion Bootler"

"Proud member of the U2 gender"

Re. kids and TV, I think the most important thing is to watch it with them. There are lots of educational stuff out there if you look for it, and they can even watch programmes for older children if you are there to explain and guide. That's so much better than just letting them watch cartoons, however harmless. This way you are also preparing them for watching TV on their own when they are older, and helping them become discerning viewers.

I usually find myself watching 1-2 shows a night. Monday is wrestling, Tuesday is Buffy/Frasier, Wednesday is West Wing/Law & Order, Thursday is Friends/Survivor/Whose Line, Friday is nothing (I almost always work Friday nights), Saturday is SNL, and Sunday is the Simpsons.

When you combine this with healthy doses of MuchMusic, Conan O'Brien, L&O reruns on A&E and sports, I think I can call myself a TV addict, though since I'm limiting myself to stuff that's good (with the probably exception of WWF), then it's one of those happy addictions, like marijuana.

Wow, that metaphor sure got off track.

------------------
"You gotta love living, baby, 'cause dyin's a pain in the ass."-- Frank Sinatra

Adam: Look guys, I got a Springfield spoon for my spoon collection.
Edge: Oh boy, here we go...
Bono: Wow, how many is that now Adam?
Adam: Nine. If I didn't have my spoons, I'd go insane.
Bono: Can I see it?
*adam gives bono the spoon, bono throws it away*
Adam: My spoon!

It's weird. I really like TV. I learn a lot from it. Of course, I really only watch things like the learning channel, the history channel and the discovery channel. There's so much to be learned, and I'm a visual learner, so I remember it all. I like the cartoon network, MTV and VH1 for those "I'm sick of thinking" kinds of days (which are all too often now days). I just like noise, thus my obsession over music. I have like 300 CD's too. It's terrible, but I hate silence more than anything.

As far as kids are concerned, I'm a nanny of 3 kids (15 months, 4, and 5). I usually have them play all morning and they can watch a little tv in the afternoon (maybe an hour when it's too hot to play outside in the summertime). But after that it's no tv until 7 then we pop in a movie and they fall asleep. PBS is about it for them too. Sometimes Nickalodian, but not too often. But I think no tv is a bad thing. (I'm a news junkie, MSNBC will be the death of me...)

------------------
90% lazy. 10% something else.

Judoooooooo Chop!

Well.. I always have the TV ON, but not exactly paying attention, I suppose. I usually watch the Food Network and game shows and the BBC, so it usually isn't too bad for me.
wink.gif
I also watch music channels occasionally, and Nick at Nite (not Nickelodeon) and sometimes the History channel. Not too bad.

------------------

"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

Back
Top Bottom