Watch More TV - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Old 09-23-2006, 08:49 AM   #1
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 11:51 AM
Watch More TV

So is all this tv watching good, bad, or indifferent? Is it any different from any other "hobby" or possible addiction, such as the internet?? How much tv do you watch, how much do you let your kids watch? Does all that tv watching have a corrosive effect on family life, are most families even watching tv together anymore?

Most of the time when I have my tv on, it's backgound noise. For some odd reason I just like that. I have my favorite shows that I don't want to miss, and I do like to channel surf-too much.

By Josh Getlin, LATimes Staff Writer
September 22, 2006

NEW YORK — Despite growing competition from the Internet, iPods, cellphones and other new media, Americans are watching more television than ever, according to a report released Thursday by Nielsen Media Research.

The average amount of time that U.S. households had a television set on each day during the yearlong 2005-06 TV season that ended last week increased by three minutes from the year before, to a record of eight hours and 14 minutes, the report said.

The average amount of television watched by an individual viewer was also up by three minutes, to a record four hours and 35 minutes a day.

Viewers ages 12 to 17 watched 3% more television during a full day than they had the year before, Nielsen said. Younger children, ages 2 to 11, increased their viewing by 4%.

"A lot of people thought that as we entered the 21st century, there was only so much TV that people could watch," said Robert Thompson, professor of television and pop culture at Syracuse University. "And others have said that because of new media, the TV era was somehow over. But TV viewership numbers are going up, and just because there's a revolutionary new challenge from things like YouTube and such, it doesn't mean the fusty old medium of a television set is disappearing. It's not going anywhere."

Although many observers have predicted that new media would erode television viewing habits, the trend has been toward greater amounts of time watching the tube during the last 10 years, Nielsen said.

In 1995-96, for example, the average household was tuned in to television for an average of seven hours and 15 minutes per day; that figure grew by nearly an hour during the 2005-06 survey period.

" The average American home now has more television sets than people. That threshold was crossed within the past two years, according to Nielsen Media Research. There are 2.73 TV sets in the typical home and 2.55 people, the researchers said.

With televisions now on buses, elevators and in airport lobbies, that development may have as much to do with TV's ubiquity as an appliance as it does conspicuous consumption. The popularity of flat-screen TVs now make it easy to put sets where they haven't been before. "