watch CBC The National tonight - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-18-2003, 11:07 AM   #16
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:10 AM
Basstrap,

Quote:
WWMD??
Does this stand for "Where are the Weapons of Mass Destruction" or "What Would Melon Do"?

Old 06-18-2003, 11:27 AM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:10 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Basstrap
two areas in which the whole world seemed to agree was:
-That America in arrogant.
-That America military might is misused or that they are a danger to the world.

I forget all the poll results...but they are posted at www.cbc.ca

I agree with this, and I'm even an American. I wish we could learn some humility.

Old 06-18-2003, 12:18 PM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:40 AM
ouizy,
such responses I find very irritating

I'm just posting what the world thinks and you post in such a snide manner. No wonder so many think the U.S is arrogant
Old 06-18-2003, 12:19 PM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

lets say it means What Would Melon Do

for convienience sake
Old 06-18-2003, 12:29 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

http://www.cbc.ca/news/america/poll.html

^that's the link to the actual poll, not to CBC's front page.

as far as brazil hating us - should that really be such a shock? perhaps they remember the 80s while we were never aware of them. or they remember the early 90s when we had hidden wars there.

if i was brazilian i'd hate me too.

should we pull out our military from "policing" places in countries in south america?

would it show our humility?

or would we be blamed for allowing chaos to come back?

both?

it's a catch-22 that the US is always involved in.
Old 06-18-2003, 01:57 PM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by ouizy

who lil 'ol us???

America should definitely pull its military out of all the countries we are in policing and keeping the peace.

We should see what happens.

It could be fun.

It could also be a massacre.
Where exactly are you talking about, just out of curiosity?
Old 06-18-2003, 02:23 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:10 AM
Should I start with the countires in Africa, Eastern Europe, or the Middle East?

I am sorry if my sarcastic tone does not always make sense, but understand it is sarcasm (mostly.)

Although it does not interest me to watch a Canadian broadcast about what is wrong with the US, I do respect other's opinions on how this country is behaving.

It really should not be taken so seriously (snide), I am just an arrogant American.
Old 06-18-2003, 02:26 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

you think we should get out of africa before south america?

i mean, i agree we should be everywhere telling everyone what to do - but it seems like the south americans are far better off without us than with us.

Old 06-18-2003, 03:26 PM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Should I start with the countires in Africa, Eastern Europe, or the Middle East?
Africa would probably be most interesting to hear your opinions on, but do feel free to elaborate on the US' "policing and keeping the peace" in any other region you choose.
Old 06-18-2003, 10:20 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:

America should definitely pull its military out of all the countries we are in policing and keeping the peace.

Or we could simply ask the folks on this TV show where we should police or pull out. Maybe then all of the U2 fans will be cool with America.

Seriously, I have decided that I find threads of this subject matter to be "offensive" and "insensitive," so I therefer think they should be banned or ruled "taboo" or whatever. First of all, by birth and geography, I am American. And because of my education, my upbringing, my beliefs/viewpoints, etc., I voted for George W. Bush in 2000 and I remain satisfied with him as President, but somebody on the TV show said they view Americans as "arrogant" probably because we elected Bush and due to the actions that the U.S. has undertaken since he was elected President. The unanimous attitude that "America is arrogant" even implicates Americans who did not vote for Bush, such as ouizy, but who are not rioting in the streets and what-not in protest. Therefore, I am offended at the insensitive characterizations of America as arrogant. Please, let's have no more threads criticizing America.

Fair enough?

~U2Alabama
Old 06-18-2003, 10:30 PM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

To be fair to the U.S., it is popular for foreign media to broadcast America bashing TV shows, just as it is popular for U.S. media to paint the Middle East as an autocratic and fanatical extension of the Dark Ages.

I think it would have been more controversial if the conclusion of the show would have been pro-U.S.

Melon
Old 06-18-2003, 10:31 PM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
Does this stand for "Where are the Weapons of Mass Destruction" or "What Would Melon Do"?
Haha...I needed a good laugh tonite!

Melon
Old 06-19-2003, 12:42 AM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by Basstrap
lets say it means What Would Melon Do

for convienience sake
Even though I would be quite intrigued to glance at the Melon Manifesto, I believe Mr. Basstrap has a quite more devious reference...

DeepThroat says, the key is in the avatar .
Old 06-19-2003, 05:33 AM   #29
ONE
love, blood, life

people!!!!

this show was NOT america bashing

it was fairly objective

MANY of the results were positive

it was NOT a canadian endeavour but a worldwide endeavour, unprecendented in scope.

1000 people in 11 countries around the world were polled.

I have serious questions about the representative sample, though. All the same, it is interesting, and I wish you would stop being so offended. You must expect, being in the position of power america is in, that many people will not like it. It is not unnatural
Old 06-19-2003, 01:35 PM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Bama

Or we could simply ask the folks on this TV show where we should police or pull out. Maybe then all of the U2 fans will be cool with America.

Seriously, I have decided that I find threads of this subject matter to be "offensive" and "insensitive," so I therefer think they should be banned or ruled "taboo" or whatever. First of all, by birth and geography, I am American. And because of my education, my upbringing, my beliefs/viewpoints, etc., I voted for George W. Bush in 2000 and I remain satisfied with him as President, but somebody on the TV show said they view Americans as "arrogant" probably because we elected Bush and due to the actions that the U.S. has undertaken since he was elected President. The unanimous attitude that "America is arrogant" even implicates Americans who did not vote for Bush, such as ouizy, but who are not rioting in the streets and what-not in protest. Therefore, I am offended at the insensitive characterizations of America as arrogant. Please, let's have no more threads criticizing America.

Fair enough?

~U2Alabama
You're kidding, right? "Let's have no more threads criticising America." Is America somehow so perfect as to be above reproach? I would have assumed this was just sarcasm but for the fact that you started with the sentence "seriously, I have decided..." If we're debating international politics, there is no way to avoid commenting on the role of the United States, and some people's comments will inevitably be critical. Preventing people from making any criticism of America would be impossible.

BTW, ouizy, I'm still curious about where exactly you want American troops to stop "policing and keeping the peace." Which countries specificaly were you thinking of?