Was the Apostle Paul Gay????? - Page 9 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-09-2004, 03:00 PM   #121
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 10,881
Local Time: 08:44 AM
__________________

__________________
Dreadsox is offline  
Old 12-09-2004, 03:07 PM   #122
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,498
Local Time: 08:44 AM
coemgen: please know that i take everything you've written in the most positive light possible, and i do appreciate all the kind words you've extended. please know that i feel the same, and i have grown just a little every time i read something from a new perspective. (and it is wonderful to hear about Christians protesting Fred Phelps and his hate-mongering ... i know, of course, that he nor Falwell nor Robertson speak for most Christians)

i know this could go back and forth forever, and we both have the best intentions possible, but i still have one question:

how do you *disagree* with homosexuality? i'm not sure what that statement means because it seems like disagreeing with hair color, or left-handedness, or a dislike of lima beans.

much thanks. for your whole post.
__________________

__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 12-09-2004, 03:19 PM   #123
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
coemgen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Black and White Town
Posts: 3,962
Local Time: 08:44 AM
BonoVox, I see where you're coming from, but the truth is the whole Bible is inspired by God himself. None of it is human doctrine, it's all God's doctrine. God didn't pick up a pen and write any part of the Bible — he chose to use people and work through them with his Holy Spirit to get his word across. (If you want more on how the Bible is God-inspired, e-mail me. My address is above.) The Gospels themselves weren't written by Christ, they were written by four other people! You know? I find it more comforting that God would chose to work through people, who were all sinners, to get his message of love across to us! Don't you? I leave you with this: Paul wrote that he thanked God continually "because when you received the word of God, which you heard from us, you accepted it not as the word of men, but as it actually is, the word of God, which is at work in you who believe." 1Thessalonians 2:13.
__________________
coemgen is offline  
Old 12-09-2004, 03:27 PM   #124
Blue Crack Addict
 
nbcrusader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,071
Local Time: 05:44 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
But, there are examples of things from the Old and the New Testament that people have decided does not apply.
I should research a more complete list of God commands from both Old and New Testament. There are clearly some OT commands that are nullified in the NT (Christ is our sacrifice, once for all). There are some OT commands that are not mentioned in the NT. Are they without value? No as they were designed to reveal sin to us.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
I would agains say that women in both the Old and New Testament were not allowed positions of authority with in the religious communities. I think there is enough evidence of this to support the conclusion that we are in a state of sin as a Christian Community by not recognising this as sin.
I don't see any OT authority that would describe women in positions of authority as sin.

Paul's statements are the only ones to my knowledge that say women should not teach men - and even there he does not call it sin. Still, we have to deal with that specific text in some fashion.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
I am curious....if we took the slavery argument....there is no evidence that slavery is opposite of the Old or the New Testament.
Actually, slave trading is specifically called a sin in 1 Timothy.
__________________
nbcrusader is offline  
Old 12-09-2004, 03:28 PM   #125
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,694
Local Time: 07:44 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by coemgen
BonoVox, I see where you're coming from, but the truth is the whole Bible is inspired by God himself. None of it is human doctrine, it's all God's doctrine. God didn't pick up a pen and write any part of the Bible — he chose to use people and work through them with his Holy Spirit to get his word across. (If you want more on how the Bible is God-inspired, e-mail me. My address is above.) The Gospels themselves weren't written by Christ, they were written by four other people! You know? I find it more comforting that God would chose to work through people, who were all sinners, to get his message of love across to us! Don't you? I leave you with this: Paul wrote that he thanked God continually "because when you received the word of God, which you heard from us, you accepted it not as the word of men, but as it actually is, the word of God, which is at work in you who believe." 1Thessalonians 2:13.
Well I appreciate all of this.

I've been involved in church since 4th grade, I've been a youth minister while in college, I've taken several Bible classes, and have had many discussions with an expert(a good friend) who's recieved many degrees in theology. Yes you're right it's inspired by God, but yes human doctrine has "sneaked" into the Bible. Most theologians will agree.
__________________
BVS is offline  
Old 12-09-2004, 03:33 PM   #126
Blue Crack Addict
 
nbcrusader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,071
Local Time: 05:44 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
I've been involved in church since 4th grade, I've been a youth minister while in college, I've taken several Bible classes, and have had many discussions with an expert(a good friend) who's recieved many degrees in theology. Yes you're right it's inspired by God, but yes human doctrine has "sneaked" into the Bible. Most theologians will agree.
I'd same some thologians will agree.

It is a dangerous principle to begin separating God's doctrine from "human doctrine". For someone could simply dismiss any command by calling it "human".
__________________
nbcrusader is offline  
Old 12-09-2004, 03:34 PM   #127
Acrobat
 
thacraic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Georgia
Posts: 350
Local Time: 08:44 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar


No his overall view of women shutting up in church. Many see his view of women and his not wanting to marry as indications that there is something else going on and that he hid behind the it gets in the way of doing God's work thing.




That's exactly their point. Paul didn't hang out with Jesus like most of the others and he happens to be the only one that screams about homosexuality. So there is question as to how much is really God's word and how much is his own.
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar


No his overall view of women shutting up in church. Many see his view of women and his not wanting to marry as indications that there is something else going on and that he hid behind the it gets in the way of doing God's work thing.




That's exactly their point. Paul didn't hang out with Jesus like most of the others and he happens to be the only one that screams about homosexuality. So there is question as to how much is really God's word and how much is his own.
Hiya BVS,

Well whomever that "many" is that believe why Paul felt as he did, I disagree with them. Paul's view on marriage was, it is better not to marry. He had such a vigor for God and was so passionate about this that he felt marrying would interfer with his ministry. In fact, I believe Paul said, you can not all be like me in relation to that. That is off the top of my head though, and I could be wrong in saying he was referring to marriage, but I am like 80ish% certain that is what he was on about.

What way did Paul view women honestly? As far as women's role in the church, I agree. I don't believe that women should pastor a church or be a deacon etc, so I don't have a problem with what Paul said in regards to that. In my opinion, he showed nothing but great respect for women. I really don't see anything that offers a contrary view, in terms of scripture that is. And I certainly don't see how his stating these things means he had issuses with women because he was a gay man.

What exactly is the point trying to be made here with the "issues with women" and a man (in this case Paul) being gay? I really don't get it. I thought the prevailing argument was that men that are gay just are just because. Are people trying to say that it is because of issues with women that they are gay? Or are they saying because they are gay they have issues with women as a result of their own sexuality? I don't get why being a gay man would predispose one to having problems with women. None of this is being made clear in this theory the bishop put forth nor in any of the responses to it here on the thread.

Ok, Paul "screaming", as you put it, about homosexuality had more to do with the people that his letters were written to and nothing at all to do with his not being enlightened as much as the others because he never got to hang around Jesus to eat bread and drink wine. See there again, this would be an example of these people not knowing much for theologians. Who are these people anyway? Do you have a book to recommend or a link I could follow? I would really like to read these perspectives you are using at points of reference. At any rate, one would think, that a theologian would realize, the following....

The other books of the New Testament, 1st 2nd Peter, James, Jude, 1st, 2nd, 3rd John were all written to Jews that had converted to the Christian faith, people that had FULL knowledge of Jewish law and I would venture to say very little problem with homosexuality. If you notice that those books deal a lot with love and grace, because they were written to people that were having a hard time comprehending how all these things they used to be required to do were no longer needed because Jesus had finally fullfilled the law. Also, these books address a problem with piosity in these new believers.

Paul wrote to people in Corinth, and Ephesus and Galatia etc. People that he had met when he went out on his journeys to spread the Gospel. Consider the societies these people lived in. These people were coming out of a life that included all kinds of flesh driven, hedonistic indulgences (homosexuality only being one). They were heavily influenced by Greek philosiphies and culture and all Paul did was address these things. He pointed out to them, that they needed to get rid of all that was behind them, because real freedom was finally their's by way of Jesus Christ. They no longer had to live in the flesh because they now had the Spirit.

Furthermore, these people had no knowledge of Levitican law. In fact, it think it was the Galatians, yeh it was, that were getting circumsized because they thought they had to do it, because of their new found knowledge of Jewish law. That is when Paul set them straight on not being entanlged in the yoke of bondage but standing fast in the freedom in which Christ had set them free. Again, addressing not being ruled by the flesh but yet being led by the Spirit. The law governs the law, the Spirit etc....

I really think it would help people reading the New Testament (or everything after the four Gospels) to read them as they were originally written - as letters. Look at who they are written to and why. It makes a lot more sense if you do it that way.

Oh, I must add, that having said, certain books were written to Jewish converts and certain books were written to people living in pagan societies, that all these books were written to believers then, and of course, now.

See ya soon....

Carrie
__________________
thacraic is offline  
Old 12-09-2004, 03:35 PM   #128
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
coemgen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Black and White Town
Posts: 3,962
Local Time: 08:44 AM
Thanks for the kind e-mail Irvine. I was just trying to say although I may see homosexuality as a sinful lifestyle, it's not going to keep me from reaching out to those who are gay and loving and supporting them. (as opposed to some people who say their Christians) Sorry if it sounded weird. Does that make sense?
__________________
coemgen is offline  
Old 12-09-2004, 03:42 PM   #129
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
coemgen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Black and White Town
Posts: 3,962
Local Time: 08:44 AM
BonoVox, I hope my last post to you didn't come across as talking down to you or anything — I was just trying to write out where I stood. I agree wtih nbcrusader said and would add that the main thing to consider is why are certain things in the Bible at all? Why did Paul, James or whoever write that. And then are we sure it's human doctrine? You know? By the way, I need a nightlight when I sleep now thanks to your avatar. (I also need to write my stories and stop posting for a whlie.)
__________________
coemgen is offline  
Old 12-09-2004, 03:56 PM   #130
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,694
Local Time: 07:44 AM
thacraic,

I appreciate the refresher course on history. You're still not understanding the point being made with Paul's view on women but that's neither here nor there anymore. But if you're ever interested there are articles all over the internet about Paul's "issues". We're not going to agree. Your views on women in the church do shine a much brighter light on the God's gender debate though. That's your opinion and I'm not going to fault you for that, but it saddens me to hear that. Some of my favorite ministers, speakers, teachers have been women.
__________________
BVS is offline  
Old 12-09-2004, 04:04 PM   #131
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,694
Local Time: 07:44 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader


I'd same some thologians will agree.

It is a dangerous principle to begin separating God's doctrine from "human doctrine". For someone could simply dismiss any command by calling it "human".
If it never came out of God or Jesus' mouth I'm reluctant to take it as command. I think sometimes we take what Paul, James, etc directly as God's word and I think that's dangerous. They weren't perfect and Jesus even corrected them publicly many times, so how can we take something one of them says, something that's not backed up by anyone else(especially Jesus) as God's doctrine.
__________________
BVS is offline  
Old 12-09-2004, 04:17 PM   #132
Acrobat
 
thacraic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Georgia
Posts: 350
Local Time: 08:44 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
thacraic,

I appreciate the refresher course on history. You're still not understanding the point being made with Paul's view on women but that's neither here nor there anymore. But if you're ever interested there are articles all over the internet about Paul's "issues". We're not going to agree. Your views on women in the church do shine a much brighter light on the God's gender debate though. That's your opinion and I'm not going to fault you for that, but it saddens me to hear that. Some of my favorite ministers, speakers, teachers have been women.
Hiya BVS,

You are welcome, but it is more a course in logic than history. No that is why I am asking for clarity. What is the point of Paul's view on women? Tell me please....

OMGGGGG as I was replying to this, UPS knocked at my door!!

I entered a Clash contest on MammothPress a while back and was informed about a month ago that I would win a prize. After corresponding via email with a guy at MammothPress, I was told I would know what prize I got when I got it lol. Well...

The prize isssssssssss The Essential Clash... a two cd set... the London Calling 25th Anniversary Legacy Edition, The Essential Clash DVD, a rarrrrrrrre 7" vinyl promo of London Calling and a poster! I got Mick Jones' autograph back in October!! My friend in England who is a sound guy, did sound for Mick Jones and Tony James new band CarbonSilicon and was kind enough to ask for an autograph. When my friend came to the states he visited me and my family and gave me the autograph. OMGGGG I am going to be Clashing out for dayyyyys. This so beyond off topic but I reallllly don't care!!! I am just amazed.

Take care and speak soon,

Carrie
__________________
thacraic is offline  
Old 12-09-2004, 04:24 PM   #133
Blue Crack Addict
 
nbcrusader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,071
Local Time: 05:44 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar


If it never came out of God or Jesus' mouth I'm reluctant to take it as command. I think sometimes we take what Paul, James, etc directly as God's word and I think that's dangerous. They weren't perfect and Jesus even corrected them publicly many times, so how can we take something one of them says, something that's not backed up by anyone else(especially Jesus) as God's doctrine.
Considering that some will say that none of the Bible comes directly from God or Jesus, then one could argue that there are no commands.
__________________
nbcrusader is offline  
Old 12-09-2004, 04:26 PM   #134
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,694
Local Time: 07:44 AM
You know we should really be fair and make a list of constitutional ammendments that Bush should introduce along with his ban on gay marriage. I mean it would only be fair.

-We shouldn't allow divorced people to remarry(unless they divorced because their spouse was cheating on them).

-Since we're going in people's bedrooms we might as well make it against the law for you to sleep in the same bed as your wife when she's mensturating. So maybe that pill that only makes you have four a year will become more popular.

-Ban all work on Sundays.

-Imprison kids who don't listen to their parents.

-Adultery should have jail time.

I mean there's a lot more, but can't think of them right now, if some of you can help, I'd appreciate it.
__________________
BVS is offline  
Old 12-09-2004, 04:28 PM   #135
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,694
Local Time: 07:44 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader


Considering that some will say that none of the Bible comes directly from God or Jesus, then one could argue that there are no commands.
Well I'm saying if it's not actually the 10 commandments or quoted directly from Jesus.
__________________

__________________
BVS is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com