Warren Buffet - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2006, 10:38 PM   #16
Refugee

Local Time: 12:16 AM
This is awesome!

Old 06-28-2006, 08:23 AM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:16 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by the iron horse
A whole lot cooler, to do something like like this without holding a press conference.

*do your good deeds in secret*
Well, people have always wondered about what would happen to Buffet's money, plus it's like free PR for the foundation. It sets a good, public example and encourages more pressure on others to donate as well.

Old 06-28-2006, 09:17 AM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

I'm sure he also does plenty of good deeds in secret. I think the press is to encourage others to do the same- at the press conference Bill Gates even mentioned Ted Turner publicly calling him and others out years ago for not giving what they could. Maybe that's Warren's way of doing the same thing.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:31 AM   #19
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:16 PM
If every good deed was done in secret, we'd probably lose faith in humanity.

What if Jesus did everything in secret?
Old 06-28-2006, 10:10 AM   #20
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

or Bono.
Old 06-29-2006, 06:24 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Sorry to bring down such a lovely, positive thread-but I didn't want to start a separate one. Sad, just plain sad. Other words escape me

NEW YORK (AP) -- Warren Buffett's new philanthropic alliance with fellow billionaire Bill Gates won widespread praise this week, but anti-abortion activists did not join in, instead assailing the two donors for their longtime support of Planned Parenthood and international birth-control programs.

The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, to which Buffett has pledged the bulk of his $44-billion fortune, devotes the vast majority of its funding to combating disease and poverty in developing countries. Less than 1 percent has gone to Planned Parenthood over the years. And the Gates Foundation does not permit its gifts to Planned Parenthood to be used for abortion services.

"The merger of Gates and Buffett may spell doom for the families of the developing world," said the Rev. Thomas Euteneuer, a Roman Catholic priest who is president of Human Life International.

Referring to Josef Mengele, the infamous Nazi death camp doctor, Euteneuer said Buffett "will be known as the Dr. Mengele of philanthropy unless he repents."

The Planned Parenthood Federation of America issued statements praising Buffett and Gates for their generosity. Gloria Feldt, a former Planned Parenthood president, said she was appalled by the harsh attacks on them.

"What an outrage that these people have the gall to cast aspersions on other citizens for standing up for what they believe," Feldt said Thursday. "They have no right whatsoever to criticize people who put their money where their mouths are."

The foundation founded by Buffett, and now named after his late wife, Susan, came under fire from some anti-abortion groups in the 1990s after it gave $2 million to fund clinical trials of mifepristone, more commonly known as the RU-486 abortion pill. The foundation also has supported various abortion-rights and family-planning groups, and Susan Buffett was eulogized after her death in 2004 as a champion of women's reproductive health.

Tony Perkins, president of the conservative Family Research Council, wrote a commentary this week holding the Buffetts partially responsible for the approval of RU-486 in 2000.

"Since then, approximately 500,000 American babies have been killed with RU-486," Perkins wrote. "Buffett's billions have the potential to do damage like this on a global scale."

Staff at the Susan T. Buffett Foundation office in Omaha, Nebraska, said its executive director, Allen Greenberg, would have no comment on the criticisms.

The Gates Foundation also is a patron of reproductive-health programs, funding research on new contraceptive technologies and initiatives to improve access to birth control.

Planned Parenthood, which is the leading provider of abortions in the United States, has received $34 million from the Gates Foundation over the years -- out of a total of $10.5 billion in grants worldwide, according to foundation spokeswoman Jacquelline Fuller. She said the foundation does not fund abortion services, earmarking the grants for other Planned Parenthood programs.

Joseph D'Agostino, a spokesman for the anti-abortion Population Research Institute, said the foundation position "is simply dishonest."

"Abortion services are the primary mission of Planned Parenthood," he said. "If you fund one side of an organization, that frees them up to transfer funds to the other things they do."

Feldt confirmed that the Gates Foundation stipulated that its gifts to Planned Parenthood not be used for abortion services. But that policy has not spared Bill Gates' Microsoft Corp. from anti-abortion protests over the years.

At the 2003 annual shareholders meeting, anti-abortion activists cited Microsoft's support for Planned Parenthood during an unsuccessful attempt to stop the company from directly contributing to charities.

Beyond the issue of abortion, some critics oppose the Buffett and Gates foundations' support for global family-planning and population control programs.

"Some of the wealthiest men in the world descend like avenging angels on the populations of the developing world," wrote Population Research Institute president Steven Mosher, a frequent critic of Gates and Buffett. "They seek to decimate their numbers, to foist upon vulnerable people abortion, sterilization and contraception."
Old 06-29-2006, 07:07 PM   #22
She's the One

Local Time: 08:16 PM

WTF?

I don't even know where to start, except maybe to say that the "pro-lifers" always do reveal their stripes when you hose them down.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:56 PM   #23
Refugee

Local Time: 04:16 AM
I'm glad the radical pro-lifers seized the opportunity to show what small minds and hearts they actually have...it's easier when they step up and do it themselves lol.
Old 06-29-2006, 09:15 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:16 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by AliEnvy
I'm glad the radical pro-lifers seized the opportunity to show what small minds and hearts they actually have...it's easier when they step up and do it themselves lol.
Yes indeed.
Old 06-30-2006, 08:09 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
to me, this move gets into the whole culture of nepotism (a certain president comes to mind) and how corrosive and, bluntly, un-American and anti-Democratic it is, and it further indicts the stupidity of repealing the Estate Tax (lol at "the death tax"). we are not and should not ever be a country of landed gentry who pass along gobs of money to their biological offspring -- it seems to me that we often place too much emphasis on the importance of the biological nuclear family. love your family, take care of them, but do not think that merely because they are your own genetic material that they are somehow more worthy of beneficence than others. when your kids are so privileged that they have everything they could need, why flood them with more cash?
I would suggest that Warren Buffet’s message is quite the opposite regarding the Estate Tax. Rather than having the government bleed Buffett’s lifelong work dry, he is acting on his own and bypassing what the government would do (or not do) with the money. It is a bold statement of self action, instead of government action.

I am surprised that anyone standing against an Estate Tax would deserve the labels “un-American” or “anti-Democratic”. Perhaps they were part of an emotional response to the topic instead of an analysis of when (and if) those labels should be used. The country was founded in an era when land owners passed on their estates to their families (the now “un-American” practice).

As for what an individual should pass on to their children, I hope the individual would retain that choice, instead of distant politicians determining how you should love your family.
Old 06-30-2006, 08:10 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
If every good deed was done in secret, we'd probably lose faith in humanity.

Of course, the Iron Horse is only referring to Jesus’ teaching on public displays (for all to see) vs. private actions (where only God knows) – to underscore the prime motivation of our acts. I hope that part wasn’t cut. I really can’t imagine why the comment draws so many negative responses.

I doubt the public display will cause others to dig into their own pockets, as the common response is that Buffet could afford to give this money. Only those who seek the praises of man (and their names on buildings) would step forward. Which, of course, is what Jesus was speaking against.
Old 06-30-2006, 09:59 PM   #27
Refugee

Local Time: 12:16 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

I doubt the public display will cause others to dig into their own pockets, as the common response is that Buffet could afford to give this money. Only those who seek the praises of man (and their names on buildings) would step forward. Which, of course, is what Jesus was speaking against.
So, are you saying that Jesus would disapprove of Warren Buffet donating his money to the Gates Foundation?

Do you feel that Warren gave the money away to seek the praises of man?
Old 06-30-2006, 11:35 PM   #28
She's the One

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

Maybe Warren was trying to influence other rich guys to do the same. Rich guys do tend to like publicity more than salvation.
Old 07-01-2006, 08:30 AM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

Reuters

NEW YORK (June 30) - Dining at a steakhouse can be a costly affair. Dining at a steakhouse with billionaire investor Warren Buffett is now a very costly one.

Lunch with the world's second-richest person went for $620,100 in an online charity auction on eBay Inc., topping last year's $351,100 record for the fundraiser.

Yongping Duan, a 45-year-old investor from Palo Alto, California, won the date, using the moniker "fastisslow." He topped a $620,000 bid by "magicyourlife." The weeklong auction ended Thursday night.

Buffett, the 75-year-old chairman of Berkshire Hathaway Inc., has since 2000 offered lunches for up to eight people to benefit the Glide Foundation, a San Francisco non-profit that helps the poor, hungry and homeless.

Susan Buffett, the billionaire's late wife, worked for the charity, which has said its annual budget is $12 million.
Old 07-01-2006, 11:47 AM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

we are not and should not ever be a country of landed gentry who pass along gobs of money to their biological offspring -- it seems to me that we often place too much emphasis on the importance of the biological nuclear family. love your family, take care of them, but do not think that merely because they are your own genetic material that they are somehow more worthy of beneficence than others. when your kids are so privileged that they have everything they could need, why flood them with more cash?
So a man who busts his hump all his life to provide for his family shouldn't be able to pass that money on to his family without being taxed a second time on it?

Quite frankly, it's none of your's or the government's business what a man should do with his own money when he dies.