War Torn Countries Turn To Women Leaders

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9937715/site/newsweek/

Nov. 14, 2005 issue - At the age of 14, Nesreen Barwari was thrown into one of Saddam Hussein's political prisons. At 24, she was a Kurdish refugee, struggling for survival on Iraq's Turkish border. A decade later, in 2003, she became the only woman to hold a cabinet post in Iraq's first post-Saddam government."

"Are women actually more peaceful than men? Looking at Cameroon, Bolivia and Malaysia, a recent World Economic Forum study found that when women have a greater say in spending priorities, they spend less on the military. "When women reach 30 or 40 percent of government, you get much more funding for health care and education," says Hunt. And according to Harvard psychologist Rose McDermott's simulated-conflict studies, the more money a country spends on its military, the more likely it is to go to war. Based on 500 hours of interviews, the Initiative for Inclusive Society reports: "Women are particularly adept at bridging the ethnic, religious and political divides."

women make me smile :)

I wouldn't mind seeing more women in this government, perhaps as a president, too. I think they can be better diplomats, too.

I just hope that the USA isn't too arrogant and proud to follow the lead of another coutnry, even if positive results are evident...

MrsSpringsteen said:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9937715/site/newsweek/
Looking at Cameroon, Bolivia and Malaysia, a recent World Economic Forum study found that when women have a greater say in spending priorities, they spend less on the military.

Looking at the UK under Thatcher or Turkey under Tansu Ciller does not verify this assumption. Hey, Thatcher even did her own war in the Falklands - 4,000 soldiers killed over a few unimportant islands... good job, Maggie & Galtieri.

MrsSpringsteen said:

according to Harvard psychologist Rose McDermott's simulated-conflict studies, the more money a country spends on its military, the more likely it is to go to war.

Right. I agree.

Also want to add that I think it does not depend on sex. Traditionally, women (in their traditional roles!) may be more critical of war than men (cavekeeper vs. hunter, better intense connection to life cycles etc.)

However, it depends on the system that women follow. If they follow the current world-wide domination of capitalism, they will do the same bad like men - because here, the principle of profit stands above all, not making a difference if you´re male or female (example: Thatcher).

Back
Top Bottom