War on the Mind

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

A_Wanderer

ONE love, blood, life
Okay so religions and cults construct views of how the mind works, how exactly do these groups deal with neuroscience?

Scientologists preach against psychoactive medications and will strongly pressure members to stop taking their medication.

Seizures and epilepsy were long (and sadly still are in places) considered to be demonic possession.

The very idea of the soul as conciousness runs contrary to what we understand now and are unravelling more and more of.

As we understand how the brain functions more and more will we see the same war waged against that investigation by those with a vested interest in the concept of a metaphysical conciousness when it can be falsified by the physical facts?

I think you´re mixing things up. What exactly is falsified by physical facts?

From the start your thread is misguided Wanderer, and as a rationalist you should understand that. Properly understood, science and religion are addressing totally different questions about existence. So, what do you expect? An encyclical about neuroscience?

You'd do better to worry about the very real and present war on evolution. And also to distinguish between religion and cult in future. I am no friend to crazy superstition but I am not an athiest either... there is a difference.

The difference between cult and religion is not crazy superstition but the degree of manipulation and exploitation.

Back
Top Bottom