War on Terror is Wrong

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Snowlock said:

The same things though, post D-Day, were being said about France and our occupation there. Same with Germany. I can't even guess at the amount of civillians that died as the result of the invasion of Germany; but I would say that they are better off now.

I don't believe you can compare Vietnam and Iraq. Sure, there is a tenuous link; but not really much of one. In Vietnam there were battles there that cost thousands of lives at one time, only to have the enemy melt away after being defeated and then return again. We really were in Vietnam facing a true army; and it was one that was being supported by another major super power.

But none of that applies here. There isn't an opposing army. There aren't any literal battles. And there is no super-power support for the other side. The war the terrorists are fighting isn't a guerilla war. There won't be a Tet Offensive in Iraqi because AQ doesn't have those types of resources.

You say that in Vietnam the enemy would be defeated but then would return later. This is exactly what's happening in Iraq. Once the US takes over a city, another one of our cities is lost. My friend in Iraq constantly travelled between Fallujah and Najaf because they couldn't hold either city. The enemy was defetaed, but then returned.

guer·ril·la or gue·ril·la ~ noun ~ A member of an irregular, usually indigenous military or paramilitary unit operating in small bands in occupied territory to harass and undermine the enemy, as by surprise raids.

Roadside bombs. Car bombs. Suicide bombers. Snipers on top of buildings. All happening in territory which has been occupied by the US. I couldn't think of a better example of a war that has been ALL guerilla warfare. This war has the potential to be quite similar to Vietnam. We could have thousands of American deaths, only to find that terrorists are running the country in the end.

Snowlock said:
Just like BVS & Moon, no whining allowed. You open that door, I'll get down and dirty with you. But if you're willing to not be an ass from the get-go I'll play nice too.

Uh, excuse me, but I think I've been pretty nice to you so far, the sole exception being my snapping towards the end of my last post. I haven't been smug, I haven't been rude. Nobody here is denying the anti-war crowd can be smug. We're just saying that the pro-war crowd isn't always free from that, too, is all.

And besides that, if you think we're being so smug and rude, why stoop to our level? Why not be the better person?

Angela

unosdostres14 said:

You say that in Vietnam the enemy would be defeated but then would return later. This is exactly what's happening in Iraq. Once the US takes over a city, another one of our cities is lost. My friend in Iraq constantly travelled between Fallujah and Najaf because they couldn't hold either city. The enemy was defetaed, but then returned.

guer·ril·la or gue·ril·la ~ noun ~ A member of an irregular, usually indigenous military or paramilitary unit operating in small bands in occupied territory to harass and undermine the enemy, as by surprise raids.

Roadside bombs. Car bombs. Suicide bombers. Snipers on top of buildings. All happening in territory which has been occupied by the US. I couldn't think of a better example of a war that has been ALL guerilla warfare. This war has the potential to be quite similar to Vietnam. We could have thousands of American deaths, only to find that terrorists are running the country in the end.
Firstly they lack the popular support to lead a popular revolution and their tactics that deliberately target civilians to destabalise have much more in common with paramillitary deathsquads than genuine guerrila fighters.

unosdostres14 said:
Yes, it was safe to walk down a street in Baghdad prior to 2003. A man could go to the market to go buy some vegetables without fear of being blown up.

Your comparison to D-Day is very valid. Often times people have had to die in order for progress to be made (Revolutionary War, Civil War, WWII etc.) The only problem is that, like in Vietnam, people died in vain. I believe this is the same. As long as the US is there, terrorists will try to kill Americans and cause havoc in the nation, thus making us stay there for longer. Thus leading us in a positive feedback loop where more and more deaths pile up.

Yes, if the man was in the good graces of the regime, he might be able to go about his business without having worry about himself or his families. But that was not the case for everyone that lived in Baghdad at the time, and while they man could go to the market without problems, others were being exectuted and raped in Saddam's torture rooms and chambers.

Most people in Baghdad then were in fear of saying or doing the wrong thing, knowing that could mean imprisonment, execution, or rape by the government. The Security services, there were 12 of them, would always be watching people. Some of the security services would in fact be spying on the other security services. Thousands of citizens of Baghdad were murdered by Saddam while he was in power, and the whole city lived in fear of what Saddam and his security/military might do to them. This culture of fear was something that Saddam had designed, for it prevented any sort of serious uprising from the people.

The US and coalition forces that died in Vietnam died for a noble cause. The only problem was that the United States abandon Vietnam after it pulled its troops out. Had the United States continued to supply South Vietnam with military supplies and aid them with military support when necessary, South Vietnam would still be an independent country today and millions of lives would have been saved. In 1972, one year before the United States completely pulled out, the South Vietnamese military with US airpower, successfully defeated the largest North Vietnamese offensive that had ever been launched to that point. The United States only had advisors on the ground at this point, and the United States limited role at this point confirms that had this limited role continued for a few more years, South Vietnam would have been able to successfully defend its self from the North.

If the United States leaves Iraq, the terrorist ability to cause more terror and destruction would grow wildly. The terrorist are killing far more Iraqi civilians and military personal than American troops. The terrorist are primarily Saddam loyalist who want to return Saddam's Bath Party and Regime to power. They want to control the entire country again like they have for the past 3 to 4 decades. The Kurds, Shia and some Sunni's want democracy and a better way of life, the terrorist though do not want this and want to establish Sunni control over the entire country again.

Pulling out US troops will only enable the Saddam loyalist to kill and terrorize more people. It will allow them to destroy the Iraqi military before it is built and to destroy all the succesfull moves towards democracy made by the new government and the people of Iraq.

The majority of Iraqi's support having the coalition in the country to defend them and support the new government and drafting of the new constitution. 8 million of them went to the polls to vote in the elections back in January to support the process that the coalition has designed for the country to get back on its feet.

The terrorist will not stop, regardless of whether there are US troops on the ground in Iraq or not. If Iraq is to become a democracy and have a prosperous country, the coalition troops must stay in the country for years to 1. develop and train the Iraqi army so the country can defend itself from the terrorist. 2. Help the new government develop politically, intervening to negotiate when arguements occur among Iraq's three main ethnic groups. 3. Continue the process of economic development of the country in all area's because success here will have a positive effect on the political process and will help to defeat the terrorist. 4. The coalition must remain in the country to provide the security and protection the the Iraqi's are unable currently to provide for themselves.

You only hear about the road side bombs that kill people. For everyone that does kill someone, there are hundreds of roadside bombs that are found and dismantled by well trained US and coalition troops every day. With out their services, the death toll in Iraq would be far worse.

Remember what Bosnia looked like in the mid 1990s, ethnic cleansing and over 250,000 murdered. Pull out before the mission is accomplished and that is the best environment the Iraqi's will be able to have, but its most likely that the situation would be far worse than anything that happened in Bosnia.

unosdostres14 said:

The United States and South Vietnames forces defeated the guerilla insurgency in the Vietnam war. By 1971/1972 nearly all of the war being carried on by the Communist against South Vietnam was being done by regular North Vietnamese military units coming from the North and invading the south. The "Vietcong" by then had largely ceased to exist. Two years after the United States pulled out of South Vietnam, the North Vietnames military launched a massive offensive from their territory with all the weapons and tactics of conventional warefare. Tanks, Artillery, infantry units, etc. When the North Vietnamese finally entered Saigon, it was North Vietnamese tanks that ended the last resistence by the South Vietnames, not a small band of guerilla's with mask and black uniforms. The reality is that after the United States left, the North Vietnamese conquered South Vietnam in the same way that Hitler conquered France in the second World War!

Oh and for your information, Najaf is under the control of the Iraqi's, it is no longer a haven for insurgents. The last serious resistence there was defeated in the Summer of 2004. My best friend participated in the retaking of Fallugah in November 2004. It took a few days and they killed thousands of insurgents. Certainly, every now and then, a terrorist may pop up in these particular cities to launch an attack, but they do not control these cities any more so than the IRA controls Belfast and Derry.

FizzingWhizzbees said:

I'm not saying al-Qaeda, Saddam or any other lunatic is correct in their views about Israel. What I am saying is that the existence of the Israeli state, or specific policies of the Israeli government have often been cited as specific grievances by groups such as al-Qaeda. You seemed to suggest Israel isn't an influence on those groups, which I think is wrong.

That's not what I'm suggesting. What I'm suggesting is the world we live in now post 9/11 has little if nothing to do with Israel. And when Israel is brought in it is simply propaganda, just like when Saddam used it during Desert Storm.

The terrorists who flew planes into the WTC didn't do it because of Israel. The attacks on Madrid and London weren't because of Israel. The embassy attacks in deeper Africa, the Cole, the first WTC bombing, the barracks in Saudi Arabia. None of those acts attributed to AQ were stated as because of our relationship with Israel.

unosdostres14 said:

:shame: We hold both Najaf and Fallujah and have for quite some time.

A terrorist cell and a paramilitary unit are far different things. A guerilla's target is military. A terrorist's target is civillian. By far, most targets in Iraq have been civillian. There's no guerilla war in Iraq.

I can. Look at central Africa, central America and south America for real examples of guerilla warfare. Look at the French resistance during WWII for guerilla war. And look at the Viet Cong in Vietnam for guerilla war.

Terrorism and guerilla warfare can share a few common traits but are in reality are vastly different.

Last edited:
Snowlock said:

That's not what I'm suggesting. What I'm suggesting is the world we live in now post 9/11 has little if nothing to do with Israel. And when Israel is brought in it is simply propaganda, just like when Saddam used it during Desert Storm.

The terrorists who flew planes into the WTC didn't do it because of Israel. The attacks on Madrid and London weren't because of Israel. The embassy attacks in deeper Africa, the Cole, the first WTC bombing, the barracks in Saudi Arabia. None of those acts attributed to AQ were stated as because of our relationship with Israel.

Yes but it can't be denied that Israel's occupation of the Islamic holy land is part of the ideology of hatred towards the west.

Snowlock said:

:shame: We hold both Najaf and Fallujah and have for quite some time.

Umm...no....are you telling me that I'm lying and that my friend didn't have to travel between Fallujah and Najaf because the towns were facing extreme terrorist hostility and were becoming very difficult to hold.

A terrorist cell and a paramilitary unit are far different things. A guerilla's target is military. A terrorist's target is civillian. By far, most targets in Iraq have been civillian. There's no guerilla war in Iraq.

Hmm...time to use some high school geometry. A guerilla's target is military. The main target by the terrorists in Iraq have been US military and the Iraqi police force who are trained by the military. Therefore by the transitive property, the terrorists are fighting guerilla warfare. Yay!! I never thought geometry could ever be useful in life.

I can. Look at central Africa, central America and south America for real examples of guerilla warfare. Look at the French resistance during WWII for guerilla war. And look at the Viet Cong in Vietnam for guerilla war.

Terrorism and guerilla warfare can share a few common traits but are in reality are vastly different.

You haven't addressed the issue of WHY roadside bombs, mines, car bombs, hidden gunmen isn't guerrila warfare. This ISN'T a traditional war like in the past where there is a clear enemy and they wear uniforms and fight against us. These are people who are fighting us from the shadows. Very similar to in Vietnam.

Last edited:
Moonlit_Angel said:

Um, I believe I made it quite clear that we shouldn't be diplomatic with the terrorists.

No you haven't made it very clear. You've said that we should've looked for a diplomatic solution. Here, I quote you: "We should've taken more diplomatic measures."

I just think we should've found some way to take people like him out without putting innocent people in the line of fire. We have done it before, after all.

Well ALRIGHT! An actual suggestion from the other side. :) And I'm not being sarcastic either. Problem with that solution though is the same one W's dad faced. *Maybe* you could take him out; but his sons, his generals, and his inner circle would still be in power. He's not the danger; his government is. And again, really, I don't know how feasible it would have been. Look how long it took for the entire army to find him; a single assassin would've had a much more difficult time. Saddam was waiting and ready for an assassination attempt from us.

Also, we were friends with Saddam for the longest time, and we're friends with other countries in which the dictators there treat their people as bad as Saddam did, if not worse, so pardon me if I didn't quite feel our efforts to suddenly remove him were sincere.

That doesn't mean jack and I'm sick of that arguement. We were friends with Bin Laden too. We are friends with Japan and Germany and Britain now when we were the bitterest of enemies at other times in history. The Soviet Union was an ally of ours during WWII and then we fought the Cold War against them. Italy was our ally in WWI and our enemy in WWII. It's the nature of politics. We helped Saddam because he opposed our enemy Iran who as a nation took a bunch of Americans hostage for no reason. He didn't become an enemy in turn until he invaded a peaceful nation. Even then; he didn't need to stay an enemy if he had just complied with UN resolutions; and he had ten years to do so.

And yet there were other people who opposed this who weren't involved in that sort of thing, they opposed it because they just didn't see how our doing it this way would help the situation.

Yeah, I know there were dissenters based on ideology rather than economics. But traditionally; while their accomplishments are not to be overlooked; they aren't up to the type of help a country like Russia can provide. And like you yourself; those countries as you say had a difference of opinion. They wanted diplomacy to work. They wanted weapons inspections and want a peaceful solution. I'm here to tell ya, SO DO I!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But those policies were proven to be insufficient.

Again, not negotiate. Capture. Find ways to capture them, put them in jail, and let the people who suffered under their horrid rule come up with the best punishment possible for the person.

We did that. Saddam's going on trial soon. Bin Laden will when he's captured (if he's alive). Guantanamo Bay is full of captured suspects.

Uh...I do. It would be quite nice to not have our country constantly being threatened by extremists.

Certainly would. But I'm making the point that as long as those threats don't materialize; I can handle the threats.

Well, the way the administration and a lot of people who supported this war were making it seem, this stuff was supposed to stop as a result of this war, the world was going to love us and everyone would be happy.

Categorically false. Yes, alot of this stuff is supposed to stop... when the war is won. The administration emphatically stated this would take years. They said over and over that this could cause more threats; that short term terrorism could increase. And I defy you to find a single quote from anyone in the administration that is in the realm of "the world is going to love us and everyone would be happy."

We're supposed to be ending terorrism, and the extremists' threats are a part of their terror tactics. Their threats make people paranoid and antsy, which is what they enjoy.

They also enjoy the dissention that it causes. Why doesn't that concern you?

Yeah, but terrorists have threatened before and actually acted upon their threats, and they could do it again. So I'd say it's worth taking seriously.

Who says it's not taken seriously? By your own admission, security is tightened, they're quick on the trigger with terror alerts. Drills by enforcement agencies are being run constantly on how to deal with terror crisis. The Patriot Act was adopted. The Homeland Security dept was created. I'd say it IS being taken seriously.

But this war, I honestly don't know if we can win. Sure, we have the greatest military available, we can win in the battles on the ground. I just don't think the long-term effects on the people will be all that great, that is where I think we'll lose.

The people of Iraq disagree with you.

History has proven that people tend to hold grudges, and sometimes those grudges come back to bite people in the ass big time

So we do nothing? We enact policies that have been proven in the past not to work?

No, again, I have no problem with things moving slowly, but if they're moving slowly and only adding to the violence, I don't see how it's working.

Well, Saddam's been captured, terrorist strongholds like Naja, Basra and Falluja have been pacified aside from isolated attacks. A provisional government has been put in place. A constitution is being written and a democratic election is to happen before the year is out. A civillian police force is also being formed. I'd say things are happening quickly at this point and with those small victories, I'd have to say it's working.

I do want long-term solutions, it's just that I would like it if those solutions were non-violent ones, because the long-term effects of those will be a lot better for all involved than violent ones. That's all.

Non-violent solutions don't work against terrorists. We're not talking about elected officials to put pressure on here. Can you imagine how absurd it would be to bus in a few thousand pacificists to have a rally in Afghanistan?

So they voted for Bush in the last election. So what? The thoughts they had then aren't necessarily the ones they have now. People can and have changed their minds. And even if the majority feels they're still doing something good, the fact that a minority has some complaints is something worth considering, too...is it just because they're in a crappy situation, or is it because they genuinely don't feel we're doing as well as we claim to be?

Especially if they agree with you, right? Maybe the majority opinion is worth being considered as well?

And that takes time. So how long exactly do we intend on staying there? And how are we going to be able to stay there as long as we might without it starting to look like an occupation instead of a liberation?

It is an occupation. Just like we occupied Germany after WWII. But occupation and liberation are not mutally exclusive. As to how long? That's the part that nobody likes; including me. But the truth is we'll stay there as long as it takes for Iraq to stand on it's own. But I'd be watching our relations with Iran and Syria right now. Especially Iran. We could be there for a long long time.

Besides that, there have been some stories in various news reports that I've read over time in which some Iraqis aren't happy with us, and would kinda like us to go away now. We got Saddam out for them, great, they appreciate that. Now we should leave them alone and let them set up their government their way, let them deal with the rogue people who try and oppose them having control over their own government. It just seems that with us having our hands in the government building process over there that it doesn't quite make them 100% "free".

Of course they are. If I were Iraqi, I might not be too happy about it either. By the same token; those reports never say whether the dissenters are Suuni or Shiite. And that's a valid question. And no matter what they say, we pull out now, that country dissintegrates into something along the lines of Somalia. And no one wants that.

For the love of god, will you get off that already? Both sides are guilty of that, too. They're both guilty of smugness and both guilty of exaggeration. Let it go.

Sorry, that's just really starting to bug me.

Angela

Yeah, well it bugs me too. Bugs me enough to point it out. You don't like it, tell some of the others to stop and stop yourself. I'd love to have a conversation about this just on the facts without all the "ums" and "ers" and other crap. As I said, I keep it civil so long as others do. But I have NO problem with responding in kind.

Moonlit_Angel said:

Uh, excuse me, but I think I've been pretty nice to you so far, the sole exception being my snapping towards the end of my last post. I haven't been smug, I haven't been rude. Nobody here is denying the anti-war crowd can be smug. We're just saying that the pro-war crowd isn't always free from that, too, is all.

Just look at the inital posts of anti war responses to pro war arguments. The ones where a new debator enters the fray.

And besides that, if you think we're being so smug and rude, why stoop to our level? Why not be the better person?

Angela

More of an Eye For An Eye type of guy, myself.

unosdostres14 said:

Umm...no....are you telling me that I'm lying and that my friend didn't have to travel between Fallujah and Najaf because the towns were facing extreme terrorist hostility and were becoming very difficult to hold.

What makes you think I would have a problem with saying you are lying about something?

Hmm...time to use some high school geometry. A guerilla's target is military. The main target by the terrorists in Iraq have been US military and the Iraqi police force who are trained by the military. Therefore by the transitive property, the terrorists are fighting guerilla warfare. Yay!! I never thought geometry could ever be useful in life.

You obviously share that opinion about history.

You haven't addressed the issue of WHY roadside bombs, mines, car bombs, hidden gunmen isn't guerrila warfare.

Did.

This ISN'T a traditional war like in the past where there is a clear enemy and they wear uniforms and fight against us. These are people who are fighting us from the shadows. Very similar to in Vietnam.

Most of the battles in Vietnam were with people who wore uniforms. Plus those that didn't almost still exclusively attacked military, not civilian targets. And I never said this is a traditional war. I just said it's not like Vietnam.

Last edited:
unosdostres14 said:

Yes but it can't be denied that Israel's occupation of the Islamic holy land is part of the ideology of hatred towards the west.

Never denied it. Just said that Israel hasn't been used as a reason behind the attacks we've experienced.

Snowlock said:

Never denied it. Just said that Israel hasn't been used as a reason behind the attacks we've experienced.

Maybe the guy on the video tapes didn't say "israel is the reason" but it's definetly fuel to the ideology of hatred towards the west. there isn't ONE specific thing that causes so many islamic extremists to hate us.....it's a collaboration of many things, and Israel plays a major role in this.

Hello fellow FYMers. I don’t want to rain on the parade, but I am noticing a general lack of mutual respect and civility in this thread. Can we please discuss this issue without calling each other liars or resorting to retaliatory insults? Painting all of one’s opponents with a wide brush, be it war mongers or terrorist sympathizers, is not only unhelpful but very counterproductive. Many people have very passionate feelings on both sides of this debate but let’s keep it just that...a debate. Not a mud-slinging match.

Thanks in advance for your cooperation.
The Management

unosdostres14 said:

Well, I just refuse to legitimize a terrorist organization be calling them anything other than they truly are. Same as I refuse legitimize their actions by basing them in any way on Israel. :shrug:

But to stay on point... Your reason for calling these terrorists guerillas is to make a link between Vietnam and Iraq.

The Iraq invasion began in March of 2003. In Vietnam, the army arrived (Replacing military advisors) in July of 1965. That's the date when the Vietnam War is generally regarded as having started.

There's been 2000 American casualties in Iraq to date.

Over the same time period, there were approximately 20,000 US casualties in Vietnam.

I'd have to say Iraq is nothing like Vietnam.

So having 2000 deaths is fine because that's nowhere near the 20,000 we lost in Vietnam.

Only 2,000 deaths. Only 2,000 weeping mothers, 2,000 horrified fathers. MILLIONS of brothers, sisters, friends, neighbors, classmates that have to deal with these deaths. Only 2,000 deaths. Just 2,000.

Even 1 death is too many because this war SHOULD NOT have been started. America is not the world's police. Iraq posed no threat the United States, so United States should not have (almost) unilaterally gone into Iraq to "liberate" them. This war had nothing to do with terrorism and NOW the war has to do with terrorism because the terrorists WENT there AFTER we attacked. Al-Qaeda's number two man on that tape a couple days ago said that terrorist attacks will continue to happen in England unless they pull out their troops.

Reasons for going to war:
1) WMD's? The CIA told President Bush that there wasn't enough evidence to prove that Iraq had WMDs and today none have been found.

2) Fighting terrorism? This was never given as a reason to intially fight the war, and in addition more terrorism has occured as a result of this war.

3) Saddam was brutal? This was never given as a reason to go to war.

1 death is too many. 2,000 deaths is frightening.
And the fighting isn't letting up, in the last three days there's been 21 marines that have died. Every month is more deadly than the next. We shouldn't have gone to war and even after we did, the planning was an abomination.

Last edited:
unosdostres14 said:
So having 2000 deaths is fine because that's nowhere near the 20,000 we lost in Vietnam.

Only 2,000 deaths. Only 2,000 weeping mothers, 2,000 horrified fathers. MILLIONS of brothers, sisters, friends, neighbors, classmates that have to deal with these deaths. Only 2,000 deaths. Just 2,000.

Even 1 death is too many because this war SHOULD NOT have been started. America is not the world's police. Iraq posed no threat the United States, so United States should not have (almost) unilaterally gone into Iraq to "liberate" them. This war had nothing to do with terrorism and NOW the war has to do with terrorism because the terrorists WENT there AFTER we attacked. Al-Qaeda's number two man on that tape a couple days ago said that terrorist attacks will continue to happen in England unless they pull out their troops.

1) WMD's? The CIA told President Bush that there wasn't enough evidence to prove that Iraq had WMDs and today none have been found.

2) Fighting terrorism? This was never given as a reason to intially fight the war, and in addition more terrorism has occured as a result of this war.

And the fighting isn't letting up, in the last three days there's been 21 marines that have died. Every month is more deadly than the next. We shouldn't have gone to war and even after we did, the planning was an abomination.

Only???? Who the MotherFUCK said only!?!?!?!? Why can't you stay on point? You argued Iraq was like Vietnam. It's not if for no other reason than Vietnam had 10 times the casualties. Debate that.

Last edited:
The distribution of towns is all wrong, there is no conventional enemy to defeat and there is no rival superpowers backing a standing army. The opponent is not trying to unify the country rather obliterate centralised government, the popular support for their goals is low.

Snowlock said:

Only???? Who the MotherFUCK said only!?!?!?!? Why can't you stay on point? You argued Iraq was like Vietnam. It's not if for no other reason than Vietnam had 10 times the casualties. Debate that.

Wow....way to only read the first 2 paragraphs of what I wrote and not respond to the last 5 (probably because you can't dispute it).

Please let's keep this clean. A party built on family values shouldn't be using language like that :shame: .

unosdostres14 said:

1) the United Nations weapons inspectors found that SADDAM had failed to verifiably disarm of thousands of stocks of WMD. This put Saddam in violation of the 1991 Gulf War Ceace fire agreement as well as UN resolutions 678, 687, and 1441. These resolutions were passed in order to protect the security of the region and the rest of the world.

2) Fighting terrorism was not the central case for going into Iraq, but it was indeed a supporting case. Outside of Iraq, especially in the United States, less terrorism has occured.

3) Saddam was brutal and this brutality is indicative of what his future behavior would be like, whether it was invading and attack(unprovoked) four different countries and putting the planets energy supply at risk, murdering people in his own country, or using WMD more times than any other leader in history on the battlefield.

Every month in Iraq is NOT more deadly than the previous month. Most months in 2005 have less US casualties than the same months in 2004.

Iraq today has voted in its first free election, is close to writing a constitution and will have new elections in December. The new Iraqi military is active in military operations around the country. Most liberals in August of 2004 claimed these things would never happen by this point if at all.

I simply can't understand why we went to war.

Sure all those things you said about Saddam might be true, but I don't get why the United States would go to WAR with them. It's ridiculous. They proved no threat to the US. I can't understand why we would literally blow up the country and then rebuild it. War is supposed to be a last resort type of thing. When the United States is militarily threatened by another country, we go to war with them.

Do you think that the United States had NO CHOICE but to go to war with Iraq? Was our democracy in danger? Would American lives have been in danger unless we took military action? Was war a LAST RESORT?

I really don't think the answer is yes to any of those questions.

unosdostres14 said:

Wow....way to only read the first 2 paragraphs of what I wrote and not respond to the last 5 (probably because you can't dispute it).

Please let's keep this clean. A party built on family values shouldn't be using language like that :shame: .

You know, you still haven't addressed the point. As to your points I "skipped", what points? The same ones you've been making that I've been tearing apart for the past week?

But I don't care anymore. By accusing me of trivializing the deaths of our soldiers you're actually cheapening them yourself. Those soldiers didn't die for you to use as a weapon against those who supoort what they died believing in. And I won't have any part in that. You also trivialize the deaths of Vietnam soldiers and I think they've gone through more than enough at the hands of people like you.

And lastly, that you would try and turn this into partisan politics is beyond pathetic. It's frighteningly stupid.

You're beneath my notice. Goodbye.

Last edited:
Snowlock said:

But I don't care anymore. By accusing me of trivializing the deaths of our soldiers you're actually cheapening them yourself. Those soldiers didn't die for you to use as a weapon against those who supoort what they died believing in. And I won't have any part in that. You also trivialize the deaths of Vietnam soldiers and I think they've gone through more than enough at the hands of people like you.

And lastly, that you would try and turn this into partisan politics is beyond pathetic. It's frighteningly stupid.

You've sunken to a new low. Both sides have always trivialized the deaths of soldiers, it's something politicians do very well. But you've done nothing but accuse people of being smug, arrogant, and now stupid. Get over yourself, no one is beneath your notice.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

You've sunken to a new low. Both sides have always trivialized the deaths of soldiers, it's something politicians do very well. But you've done nothing but accuse people of being smug, arrogant, and now stupid. Get over yourself, no one is beneath your notice.

Look who's making the sweeping generalizations now. I have never and would never trivialize the deaths of those who gave their lives for my country. And the fact that the poster even intimated that I did is beyond offensive to me; and thus beneath me. His opinions weren't beneath me. But that insult was.

As to smug and arrogant and stupid... First, never accused anyone of arrogance. You're exaggerating.... AGAIN. As to stupid; arguing partisan politics in the face of the greatest threat to the free world since the Nazi's is stupid. I've said over and over that a person can believe whatever they want to believe; and I'll support that even if I don't agree with it. But I've had enough of debating him when he's really arguing ideology; rather than the issue. And as to smug, should I post it again? My first response to you, your first response to me:

Snowlock: "What's your alternative though? By your definition, if there's no one leader, no one country, no one land, who are you supposed to be diplomatic with?

At least this way they know that if they mess with civilized people, they going to pay for it dearly. The message got through to Quadafi and it's getting through to others as well."

BVS: "That's a laugh...yeah we've seen a big backing down tell that to London."

Now please; cut it out.

Last edited:
Snowlock said:

You know, you still haven't addressed the point. As to your points I "skipped", what points? The same ones you've been making that I've been tearing apart for the past week?

1) I don't understand how I've "cheapened" the deaths of the soldiers.
2) I'm not using the soldiers' death as ammo for myself.
3) I'm not guilty of anything that you haven't done yourself. I find it very immature to put yourself up on a pedestal and accuse others of things which you yourself are also guilty of. Sure I made a partisan-ish comment. But you aren't so innocent yourself. Read what you wrote just now. "they've gone through more than enough at the hands of people like you". I find it pathetic that you insult me and tell me that I don't mourn the sacrifice of soldiers and then say that you are somehow on a higher ground than me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom