War is Good Business for Russian Weapons Makers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreadsox

ONE love, blood, life
Russian weapons get free publicity in Iraq war

Military experts say Iraq war opens up market opportunities for Russian weapons used by Iraqi fighters.

By Viktoria Loginova - MOSCOW

The war in Iraq, which has seen stiff Iraqi resistance against US and British troops, has opened up market opportunities for Russian weapons used by Baghdad's forces, military experts say here.

"We got a great advertising gift for our weapons in Iraq," Russian Defence Minister Sergei Ivanov was quoted as saying by the Interfax-AVN news agency on Friday.

The conflict will "generate a surge in interest in anti-aircraft defences and radio-electronic equipment," predicted Alexander Nozdrachev, head of the state-run Russian Agency for Conventional Weapons, quoted by Interfax-AVN.

Russian weapons sales last year totalled 4.5 billion dollars (4.1 billion euros), concentrated mainly on just two countries, China and India, although Russia has expanded sales to other regions.

"The war is useful for Russia. The Iraqi army is creating publicity for Russian weapons," respected business daily Vedomosti commented recently.

"Old launch-grenades, anti-tank missiles and mines, as well as primitive anti-aircraft equipment" from Soviet times "are inflicting losses on the coalition forces," Vedomosti pointed out.

US M1 Abrams battle tanks, the most advanced tank in the world, have been damaged by hand-held RPG-7 launch-grenades and Malyutka anti-tank missiles, which were designed in the 1960s, defence analyst Konstantin Makienko said.

"The scandal around the Kornet anti-tank missiles could boost interest in these arms," added Makienko, from the Centre for Strategy and Technologies Analysis.

The United States has accused Russian firms of selling Iraq anti-tank missiles and satellite jamming devices as well as night-vision goggles, in violation of the UN embargo. Moscow has firmly denied the allegations.

One of the firms concerned hit back at Washington, accusing the Americans of "trying to find a scapegoat because their bombs are not falling as accurately as they want."

"The US weapons have been the cause of many mistakes in Iraq," hitting their own forces or civilians, Makienko pointed out.

With significant ground operations in the Iraq war, the "demand for Russian tanks and anti-tank missiles will rise," predicted Ivan Safranchuk from the Centre for Defence Information.

This will be particularly the case in other members of Washington's "axis of evil", Iran and North Korea, who fear they will be next after Iraq, Marat Kenzhetayev from the Russian Centre for Disarmament Problems told Vedomosti.

Most in demand will be TOR-M1 Short-range Air Defence Missile Systems (SA-15 under NATO classification) and S-300 surface-to-air missiles (SA-10 Grumble), from the part of Syria, Iran, United Arab Emirates and Saudi Arabia, according to Makienko.

According to some analysts, there has already been a surge in interest for Russian weapons at the IDEX-2003 arms exhibition, the biggest in the Middle East, which took place on the eve of the war in Abu Dhabi from March 16 to 20.
http://www.middle-east-online.com/english/?id=5036

Every war is good business for every weapon maker.

I wouldn?t exclude the top five U.S. defense - after all, they produce the bombs and stuff.

Boom!

Indeed hip-hop, I wonder what sort of money they're making out of all this...I'm pretty sure it would dwarf the Russian figures.

Let's divert the point of the article. If you think about it the Russian weapons, are more cost effective. This makes them more attractive to nations like Iraq. Spend lost of money on a tank that can keep up with the Abrahms, or buy a Russian Grenade launcher.

Peace

the most striking thing to me in this article is the non-chalent tone which they mention how their weapons "are inflicting losses on the coalition forces"
if anything, it is scary. The increasing rift between the US and Russia/China makes it feasible to me that war between those two regions is not completely out of the question. Not anytime soon...
but unless some patching up diplomacy gets started, who knows what may happen in 15 or 20 years?
The current state of the world scares me...sometimes I wonder what kind of world my own children will grow up in.

Why doesn't everyone just disarm?
Why doesn't the US lead the way since they have more nuclear weapons and WMD than any other country?
Just idealistic ravings I guess...so much politics....makes me sick
Politics make me sick

I hate the idea of nuclear war...but it seems more and more possible every year. It sickens me.

*This has been a sidenote, brought to you by basstrap
continue with regular programming*

By Viktoria Loginova - MOSCOW

The war in Iraq, which has seen stiff Iraqi resistance against US and British troops,

"We got a great advertising gift for our weapons in Iraq," Russian Defence Minister Sergei Ivanov was quoted as saying by the Interfax-AVN news agency on Friday.

The conflict will "generate a surge in interest in anti-aircraft defences and radio-electronic equipment,"

"The war is useful for Russia. The Iraqi army is creating publicity for Russian weapons,"

LMFAO The Iraqis could have achieved the same ineffective results with WWI grade weapons.

The Coalition may be taking casualties, but they are slight compared to the beating the Rep. Guard is taking.... I guess it's true there's no such thing as bad publicity...

Let there be no doubt as to which side thinks the cold war is still on.

Dreadsox said:
Let's divert the point of the article. If you think about it the Russian weapons, are more cost effective. This makes them more attractive to nations like Iraq.
Peace

Now come on, this is the rules of free world trade. Any problem? Don?t tell me you are against free world trade.

Well but you have to see my point of view. If Russian weapons stay that cheap, everyone will prefer them to American ones except of the Nato and Israel. This is what free trade is about. Either McdonellDouglas and Raytheon lower their prices and fire a few thousands of workers (which they do anyway) or we have to ask ALEXRUS to write to Putin to raise his prices.

By the way, guys, you overlook one very important point: our weapons are not only cheaper. It's high quality weapons. Every US citizen has no doubts at all about which country makes the best fighter jets, tanks, air defence systems... I know it too.
Proud of being Russian....

If a freaking grenade launcher can take out the billion dollar Abrams Tank, there is something wrong. That is my point. Why am I paying for something that obviously has a weakness to a much cheaper weapon?

Dreadsox said:
If a freaking grenade launcher can take out the billion dollar Abrams Tank, there is something wrong. That is my point. Why am I paying for something that obviously has a weakness to a much cheaper weapon?

And yet Kalashnikov is better, cheaper and MUCH more reliable than any of your...hm..well...how do you call them...oh, yes...assault rifles:wave:

ALEXRUS said:

And yet Kalashnikov is better, cheaper and MUCH more reliable than any of your...hm..well...how do you call them...oh, yes...assault rifles:wave:

:lol:

Well, My M16 always seemed to jam....It does not like dust at all.

Peace

:hyper:

:yikes:

blowjob.gif

Back
Top Bottom