War! - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-12-2007, 02:33 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
Justin24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: San Mateo
Posts: 6,716
Local Time: 01:33 AM
War!

With recent comments about Obama I have these two questions.

So does this mean that anyone who is pro-war is stupid? Aren't they entitled to there opinion. Do any of you anti-war people in here find any war justifiable?
__________________

__________________
Justin24 is offline  
Old 02-12-2007, 02:39 PM   #2
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,684
Local Time: 02:33 AM
Yes, anyone who is pro-war cannot be trusted and for a lack of a better word, stupid. There is nothing wrong with being pro-defense. War shouldn't be a choice, it should be used when there is no other choice.

I don't see that logic being used anymore.
__________________

__________________
BVS is offline  
Old 02-12-2007, 02:42 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
Justin24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: San Mateo
Posts: 6,716
Local Time: 01:33 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
Yes, anyone who is pro-war cannot be trusted and for a lack of a better word, stupid. There is nothing wrong with being pro-defense. War shouldn't be a choice, it should be used when there is no other choice.

I don't see that logic being used anymore.
The same could be said about anti-war people too. They cannot be trusted, because we don't know there real agenda. How can you call people stupid for their belief.
__________________
Justin24 is offline  
Old 02-12-2007, 02:47 PM   #4
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,684
Local Time: 02:33 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Justin24


The same could be said about anti-war people too. They cannot be trusted, because we don't know there real agenda. How can you call people stupid for their belief.
Did you actually read my whole post.

I'm defining someone "pro-war" as someone who WANTS to jump into war, who doesn't exhaust all other possibilities.

They CHOOSE war.

What other agenda would someone who wants a peaceful resolution have?
__________________
BVS is offline  
Old 02-12-2007, 02:48 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
Justin24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: San Mateo
Posts: 6,716
Local Time: 01:33 AM
Someone who want's to jump into war is just about anyone. Many times peace can only be achieved by war.
__________________
Justin24 is offline  
Old 02-12-2007, 02:53 PM   #6
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,684
Local Time: 02:33 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Justin24
Someone who want's to jump into war is just about anyone.
What? I don't want to jump into war. Do you, do you really want to jump into war?

Quote:
Originally posted by Justin24

Many times peace can only be achieved by war.
Who sold you that lie?
__________________
BVS is offline  
Old 02-12-2007, 03:00 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
Justin24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: San Mateo
Posts: 6,716
Local Time: 01:33 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar


What? I don't want to jump into war. Do you, do you really want to jump into war?



Who sold you that lie?
Since this world is so fucked up, why do we try for peace.

It's no lie. We had to fight the Nazis to achieve peace and stop the holocaust.
__________________
Justin24 is offline  
Old 02-12-2007, 03:07 PM   #8
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,684
Local Time: 02:33 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Justin24


Since this world is so fucked up, why do we try for peace.
Never a reason to give up.

Quote:
Originally posted by Justin24

It's no lie.
In context it is a lie. You make it sound like everyone is thirsty for war and it's the only way to achieve anything.

Quote:
Originally posted by Justin24

We had to fight the Nazis to achieve peace and stop the holocaust.
And this was a war where everything else was exhausted, in fact it went too long.
__________________
BVS is offline  
Old 02-12-2007, 03:09 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
Justin24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: San Mateo
Posts: 6,716
Local Time: 01:33 AM
But I think that no one is right or wrong on their opinion of war. You can't say someone who believes in war is a stupid idiot for wanting war when it happens.
__________________
Justin24 is offline  
Old 02-12-2007, 03:20 PM   #10
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,684
Local Time: 02:33 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Justin24
But I think that no one is right or wrong on their opinion of war. You can't say someone who believes in war is a stupid idiot for wanting war when it happens.
There is a right and wrong. If I started a war with California right now because I disagreed with your view, you're saying that would be justifiable?

I'm saying someone who just WANTS to declare war without exhausting every avenue is someone who is stupid.

Now of course the issue of "has everything been exhausted" is usually up to debate.

My point is the term "pro-war" is a pretty stupid term. It's just like if someone walked around saying they were pro-abortion, that would mean they enjoy abortion.
__________________
BVS is offline  
Old 02-12-2007, 03:22 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
Justin24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: San Mateo
Posts: 6,716
Local Time: 01:33 AM
Ok I see, now what about Bush. He was given evidence by the british intelligence and CIA is he dumb for pursuing war?
__________________
Justin24 is offline  
Old 02-12-2007, 03:24 PM   #12
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,684
Local Time: 02:33 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Justin24
Ok I see, now what about Bush. He was given evidence by the british intelligence and CIA is he dumb for pursuing war?
I thought this thread was about war in general.

We've argued the merits of this war over and over.

I think Bush wanted this war. Bush needed this war. This was not a war of necesity.
__________________
BVS is offline  
Old 02-12-2007, 04:08 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict
 
verte76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: hoping for changes
Posts: 23,331
Local Time: 08:33 AM
I'm not against defense. But war should be a last option after all efforts at diplomacy fail. That's not what happened with Iraq. It wasn't a fair war. Afghanistan started out as a fair war because the Taliban had to go, but it got botched and the Taliban is on the comeback.
__________________
verte76 is offline  
Old 02-12-2007, 04:14 PM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life
 
A_Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Wild West
Posts: 12,518
Local Time: 06:33 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar


Did you actually read my whole post.

I'm defining someone "pro-war" as someone who WANTS to jump into war, who doesn't exhaust all other possibilities.

They CHOOSE war.

What other agenda would someone who wants a peaceful resolution have?
Other possibilities would include a previous war, air strikes, containment, weapons inspections and the consideration that the sanctions in place are killing off tens of thousands a year without achieving their goals?
__________________
A_Wanderer is offline  
Old 02-12-2007, 05:20 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
80sU2isBest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 4,970
Local Time: 03:33 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
Other possibilities would include a previous war, air strikes, containment, weapons inspections and the consideration that the sanctions in place are killing off tens of thousands a year without achieving their goals?
Sounds about right to me.
__________________

__________________
80sU2isBest is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com