War! - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-15-2007, 09:19 AM   #61
Refugee

Local Time: 07:46 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Did you actually read my whole post.

I'm defining someone "pro-war" as someone who WANTS to jump into war, who doesn't exhaust all other possibilities.

They CHOOSE war.

What other agenda would someone who wants a peaceful resolution have?
Hello BVS,

I respectfully disagree with your definition of "pro-war".

As you know, I support the war on terror and the war in Iraq but by no means do I CHOOSE war over any other possible solutions.

Of course I advocate diplomacy over violence, but unfortunately there are parties with whom diplomacy is not an option - Hamas and Al-Qaeda being two of them. Hamas has committed itself to the destruction of Israel and Al-Qaeda has been waging war against the west since 1991 (WAY before this current Iraq war).

How can you talk with such people???

With North Korea the talks were relatively easy....the Northern Korean dictator simply blackmailed the U.S. into giving them billions of dollars in aid in return for their halting of their nuclear program. This wouldn't work with Iran because they have billions of dollars to spare which the government happily gives to terrorist organizations like Hezbollah at the expense of the Iranian people.

More than once, Israel has attended numerous middle-eastern peace conferences in order to try and reach some sort of diplomatic solution to the crisis (the last one being in Madrid after the 1991 gulf war). These conferences always ended the same way - with lots of rhetoric and no progress at all.

The latest war that Hezbollah started with Israel in August last year only proves that talks and diplomacy are futile with people who have their hands pressed to their ears and who refuse to listen to voices of reason.

True, the death toll in this war is unbearable but we can't add fuel to the fire by criticising the armed forces and calling soldiers "killers", and by having nutcases like Cindy Sheehan spouting their hate in any forum that will accept them.

Freedom of speech is a wonderful thing but it's a horrible thing to slander the very people who are fighting to PRESERVE the right to free speech.

War is unacceptable......but so is the killing of 3,000 people who have done nothing but go to work one Tuesday morning in September 2001.

If diplomacy fails and stability is threatened, then there is no choice but to resolve the problem by force. The U.S. received the most devastating blow in its history on 911 and there was just no way it could just stand by and do nothing. I agree that the war isn't being fought the way it should have been but I'm very glad that Saddam has been removed from power.

To summarize, I am a peace-loving woman and the greatest joy in my life will be the day when governments wake up and smell the coffee....and decide to focus their attention on improving the quality of life of their own people rather than fighting other countries for nothing.

Old 02-15-2007, 09:38 AM   #62
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:46 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by AchtungBono

War is unacceptable......but so is the killing of 3,000 people who have done nothing but go to work one Tuesday morning in September 2001.

Yeah, that's why it was important to go to Iraq, to root out those Iraqi terra'ists who flew the planes into the buildings.

Old 02-15-2007, 09:47 AM   #63
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

Yeah, that's why it was important to go to Iraq, to root out those Iraqi terra'ists who flew the planes into the buildings.

Agreed, this whole eye for an eye bullshit gets us nowhere as far as I'm concerned.
Old 02-15-2007, 09:48 AM   #64
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:46 PM
Quote:

Hello BVS,

I respectfully disagree with your definition of "pro-war".

As you know, I support the war on terror and the war in Iraq but by no means do I CHOOSE war over any other possible solutions.

Look I'm not going to get too far in your post for you are still confused as to who executed the attacks on 9/11. You were sold a lie and you're still falling for it.

But you did choose war over other possible solutions. Was there threats of immediate attack on anyone? You supported the attack on a country in the name of an idea "war on terror", which will never be won by a war.
Old 02-17-2007, 06:41 AM   #65
Refugee

Quote:

You supported the attack on a country in the name of an idea "war on terror", which will never be won by a war.
OK BVS.....how WILL the war on terror be won??....by playing patty-cake and hopscotch??

P.S.: This ISN'T a personal dig at you.
Old 02-17-2007, 07:18 AM   #66
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

how WILL the war on terror be won??
How is the current occupation of Iraq related to the war on terror?
If anything, the "war on terror" has failed.
Old 02-17-2007, 08:47 AM   #67
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:46 PM
Should we view different types of war differently? For example, is a revolution the same as an attack on another sovereign nation? Personally I don't support being the aggressor & attacking another nation; since the connection between Iraq and terrorism is nebulous at best the war there borders on imperialism.

I do think things like revolutions & insurgencies are often justified though, isn't it just to overthrow an unjust government - a dictatorship for example?
Old 02-18-2007, 02:09 AM   #68
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:46 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Justin24

It's no lie. We had to fight the Nazis to achieve peace and stop the holocaust.
O please,..the states did went to war because they got attacked by japan,....beating the Nazi`s was just a very nice side effect.
Old 02-18-2007, 02:48 AM   #69
The Fly

America did not go to war with Germany to end the holocaust.Germany was an ally of Japan,so America fought both of them with the help of the British.
Old 02-18-2007, 06:08 AM   #70
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

OK BVS.....how WILL the war on terror be won??....by playing patty-cake and hopscotch??

P.S.: This ISN'T a personal dig at you.
Yes, hopscotch is a great way to teach children how to play together.

Seriously, you attack the root of the problem. You don't get rid of weeds by killing the exposed part.
Old 02-18-2007, 10:32 AM   #71
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 12:46 PM
Quote:

Yes, hopscotch is a great way to teach children how to play together.

Seriously, you attack the root of the problem. You don't get rid of weeds by killing the exposed part.
BVS,

What is the "root" of the problem and how would you attack it?

Set aside the current conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan for a moment, when do you think the United States (or any country) is EVER justified to fight?
Old 02-18-2007, 10:51 AM   #72
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 04:16 PM
^ exactly. For some reason, there has still been no official attempt to determine the reason why the "war on terror" is targeting US interests. There are reasons for it and unless it is addressed and not exacerbated which I think the US has done, the US will continue to lose it's people and treasure.

Terrorist groups target the US for a reason and it's not because they hate freedom. That is the probably the biggest load of crap being sold to the US public. Besides, freedom and terror are just words. Freedom isn't a purple finger and terror isn't an object which you can defeat.

People anticipating a victory in the "war on terror" will be terribly disappointed since they day will never come. But if perpetual war is your thing, you've hit the jackpot cause we have a winner.
Old 02-18-2007, 02:27 PM   #73
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by AEON

BVS,

What is the "root" of the problem and how would you attack it?

Set aside the current conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan for a moment, when do you think the United States (or any country) is EVER justified to fight?
Well the first question is a good one, we should have thought about that before we create a war on an indealology, don't you think?

The second question is for another thread, look in the War thread.
Old 02-18-2007, 02:45 PM   #74
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:46 PM
This is the War thread
Old 02-19-2007, 02:19 AM   #75
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 12:46 PM
Quote:

Well the first question is a good one, we should have thought about that before we create a war on an indealology, don't you think?

The second question is for another thread, look in the War thread.

Of course it is a good question. I guess that's why it never gets answered.